WA prospector death and missing wife. The Raymond & Jennie Kehlet mystery.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Makes you think, camp site left setup, cars abandoned at camp, quad bike not far from camp, dog left behind, really starting to sway towards foul play or something along them lines

grubstake said:
From this day-old news report: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/m...earch-enters-seventh-day-20150407-1mftte.html

"Channel 9 reporter Rebecca Johns told Radio 6PR on Tuesday morning police had uncovered more evidence that suggested the couple had travelled further than originally thought. "So the area they have been searching at the moment might not be the right area," she said.
"They (police) began searching after finding the couples' dog walking around the town alone. That led police to the pair's abandoned camp site, where they found their cars, a quad bike 500m away and enough camping gear to survive at least two weeks in the bush. Apart from that there has been absolutely no sight of them," Ms Johns said.
Police hadn't ruled out foul play and homicide detectives were on standby in Perth.
"The family have also been told to thoroughly look through all their belongings, which have been taken back to Perth, just to see if there is anything suspicious in there," Ms Johns said.
Police had initially thought the pair may have fallen down one of several disused mine shafts near their campsite.
"There was a putrid smell coming from one of the shafts and they were worried it was a decomposing body," she said. "They got special cliff experts down there but it was actually a kangaroo. That was another false lead. But there is no trace at all there are no footprints, no water bottles... there is nothing."

Can we infer from the parts I have bolded that Police think the couple may have left camp with somebody else?

Possible. We can take a guess. Could be the case. The quad bike was 500m from camp. It's believed they left camp with a GPS and metal detectors plus water but left their mobile phones behind...If their quad bike was 500 from camp they probably didn't leave camp with someone voluntarily you'd think. There's the information of a K9 unit following and losing their scent near a track. perhaps somebody intercepted them while they were out prospecting? Unfortunately all the info is leading away from typical lost in the bush situation.

They have been missing to long for this to end well I think. Foul play or not, very sad. If it is foul play then it's also very frightening to think it could happen to anybody out there. Has anyone heard anymore info about the other guy who is missing?

In relation to self protection and firearms, its a tricky situation taking guns across borders. I don't know how much good it would do anybody anyway. How do you know if someone has you in their sights? That being said, most ppl I know who are experienced in the bush and outback wouldn't let the law get in their way of self protection. A personal call I guess. My mum has always told me it's better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6.

Some one got hurt and the other went to assist and also got trapped...

Not good, but better than fowl play..

Fingers crossed that some good comes from it...

Just for information the WA Police have a face book page - https://www.facebook.com/WA.Police?fref=ts

The comments are starting to say along the lines of mandatory PLB's, or Sat Phones, checking in with the Police etc...

To me some things are common sense, sometimes we all do stupid things though. I am sure everyone has a story to tell where they did something stupid in the bush but worked out ok, with a small change in the scenario it could have ended bad.

I don't have a problem stopping all the Easter Staters at the border and checking they have the right gear, if not send them back :) ...... jokin fellas !

One thing I don't know is how this will end and what changes may result from the outcomes.

I agree with others that a lot of things just dont add up to being lost!

The police know this also going on what grubstake has pointed out.

A lot of other scenario's could be on the minds of the police....ie Double Suicide, Murder Suicide, the need to disappear and start life elsewhere with a fresh identity, etc etc.

Perfect place for either of these, who knows?

The tracker dogs losing the scent on the trail would suggest they were picked up by a third party in a vehicle, or perhaps even a chopper?

If they perished above ground, the circling Eagles etc, would announce their resting place in advance. If they are safe above ground you would think they would stay put (being experienced) and build a smokey fire or even carve an SOS in the sand, or made with stones in a rocky area?

Now I'm beginning to sound like a conspiracy theorist aren't I?

Weird. ;)

I think there are 2 things that spring to mind for me as they are experienced, that is foul play or a staged disappearance. Some strange things have happened out in the middle of nowhere in the past. Back in the 80's my family and I did a big trip to the NT camping each night along the way, the parents good friend who was a cop said to take a rifle that would penetrate the engine block of a truck!! There had been some strange disappearances and that is what an experienced cop told them, he said there were suspected rogues out there doing nasty things to people.

Anyway not trying to scare anyone but that is literally what he said. That Falconio disappearance was very wierd and who knows whether the Police even got the right bloke in the end??? Carrying a firearm was not so wierd back in the 80's and not really frowned upon as it is these days, even some other travellers we travelled with out through the Diamantina channel country had a rifle with them.

Hope they are found safely.

Just a theory but to me it looks like they have skipped town, staged a missing persons....but we will eventually find out one way or another....Hoping they are well and found alive.
Can only assume what happened until they have been found.

Heatho said:
I think there are 2 things that spring to mind for me as they are experienced, that is foul play or a staged disappearance. Some strange things have happened out in the middle of nowhere in the past. Back in the 80's my family and I did a big trip to the NT camping each night along the way, the parents good friend who was a cop said to take a rifle that would penetrate the engine block of a truck!! There had been some strange disappearances and that is what an experienced cop told them, he said there were suspected rogues out there doing nasty things to people.

Anyway not trying to scare anyone but that is literally what he said. That Falconio disappearance was very wierd and who knows whether the Police even got the right bloke in the end??? Carrying a firearm was not so wierd back in the 80's and not really frowned upon as it is these days, even some other travellers we travelled with out through the Diamantina channel country had a rifle with them.

My guess would not be foul play, but "Lost". Spent 3 weeks prospecting the Tabletop region two years ago where they went missing, and there is a hundred kilometers of sandstone Ridges riddled with caves in that area, especially to the north where the ranges form large ovals. Would take forever to check out the number of caves and indents, and none of them contain any sign of water because of the porous geology of the region. Keeping fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

Metamorphic said:
I agree with others that a lot of things just dont add up to being lost!

The police know this also going on what grubstake has pointed out.

A lot of other scenario's could be on the minds of the police....ie Double Suicide, Murder Suicide, the need to disappear and start life elsewhere with a fresh identity, etc etc.

Perfect place for either of these, who knows?

The tracker dogs losing the scent on the trail would suggest they were picked up by a third party in a vehicle, or perhaps even a chopper?

If they perished above ground, the circling Eagles etc, would announce their resting place in advance. If they are safe above ground you would think they would stay put (being experienced) and build a smokey fire or even carve an SOS in the sand, or made with stones in a rocky area?

Now I'm beginning to sound like a conspiracy theorist aren't I?

Weird. ;)
Makes a shtye load of sense .

WalnLiz said:
Heatho said:

My guess would not be foul play, but "Lost". Spent 3 weeks prospecting the Tabletop region two years ago where they went missing, and there is a hundred kilometers of sandstone Ridges riddled with caves in that area, especially to the north where the ranges form large ovals. Would take forever to check out the number of caves and indents, and none of them contain any sign of water because of the porous geology of the region. Keeping fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

Same here Wal, fingers crossed, just seems strange though, you know the country though and really hope you are correct.

There is probably someone already doing it , but I can see benefit in a company providing a 2 or 3 day course based somewhere around Kalgoorlie specifically aimed at Prospectors providing basic knowledge in general bushmanship , 4x4 recovery , GPS use and Navigation , emergency first aid , knowledge on local goldfields , as well as detector instruction and ground reading etc etc . I reckon there would be a few concerned adult children buying the course as a gift for Gold Seeking Nomad Parents.

Just s thought

Bacchus said:
There is probably someone already doing it , but I can see benefit in a company providing a 2 or 3 day course based somewhere around Kalgoorlie specifically aimed at Prospectors providing basic knowledge in general bushmanship , 4x4 recovery , GPS use and Navigation , emergency first aid , knowledge on local goldfields , as well as detector instruction and ground reading etc etc . I reckon there would be a few concerned adult children buying the course as a gift for Gold Seeking Nomad Parents.

Just s thought

Hey Mate
In theory a great idea!!!! but these skills should be acquired learned, well in advance before any long journey is contemplated, it is just too late to learn once you are already there.
cheers
Lee

Gday Lee

Agree totally with you , it's damn right scary though the people you come across with absolutely no bush knowledge or respect for the outback , I include a lot of tourists with the hire a camper and go bush mentality in this category where any knowledge may save a life

Cheers

Totally agree with you on that one Lee. Like trying to teach common sense some times....some things are only learned from experience, and common sense says, look at every aspect of ones adventures and always try and cover yourself with a backup plan. "Plans" don't always work ...but "no plans" never works.

Latest posts