WA prospecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can someone tell me a good place to start prospecting in WA Have never been there and I understand there’s a lot of leases to get around there. Heading from Adelaide
Evie

Try Yalgoo.
The shire in association with the caravan park has leases set aside for detector operators to run amuck.

Ring the caravan park first in case things have changed.

Can someone tell me a good place to start prospecting in WA Have never been there and I understand there’s a lot of leases to get around there. Heading from Adelaide
Evie

Firstly call on the Mines department, get yourself a Miners Right and the rules that go along with it. They can clarify the issues with the types of leases and where you are allowed to go. Learn to use the 40e permit system, we have our own leases and we know our way around but we still apply for 40e permits during the gold prospecting season because it gives you access to good ground across the state.

Unfortunately the crime rate and the amount of discarded litter also goes up with the influx of eastern state prospectors. We've already had burglaries here in Cue where we usually have no trouble. We're seeing the rubbish too. The streets are usually pretty clean but in the last couple of weeks we've been picking up discarded drink cans and water bottles during our evening walk. The same is going on out in the goldfields where visitors seem to think they are free to do as they wish when away from home.

Mackka, With all due respect we encountered a group in 2021 (we named them the Taj Mahal mob, 7 blokes, no women, five new caravans a 4b's)) camped just off our lease. They had everything including the kitchen sink but barring a rubbish bin.
I spoke to them about picking up their rubbish and to not throw the multiple beer cans into their campfire.
They told me in no uncertain words "F off".
They moved in on us where we were detecting so close machines played up. I queried whether they had permission, the leader of the pack once again told me to FO.
50 years ago he would have had trouble seeing out of his evil eyes.
A few days later they had gone and we picked up their rubbish!
Surprise, surprise, one number plate Vic, the other 4, NSW's.

In answer to EVIE"S question, take MB's advice and enjoy a trouble free and maybe a profitable visit.
If you're lucky you may find the gold lost way back in the early 1900's somewhere between Marshalls Pool & Wilsons Patch?
Lostgold.jpg

It funny how Covid lockdowns cleaned up WA, tinnies, bottles and shit roll blowing in the wind, if your wife doesn’t like digging holes, shake it in the wind.
I’ll add backpackers are back some with respect some with not

Last edited:
In a small remote place like Cue and outback WA generally, vehicle number plates make it all too obvious when non-residents are around, Mackka.
We do a lot of panning in a remote area of WA and are always careful about how we leave an area for two reasons.
Firstly, the mining inspector, with whom we are on good relations because our documentation is always in order, insists that we must leave an area in the same condition as we found it, and secondly because , if we leave obvious signs of where we are working, free loaders, who can't be bothered to do their own research and exploration, will come scavenging, in an effort to capitalize in our preparatory work.
As has been pointed out by other forum members, such paracites can be aggressive and shameless.
Some of us from "back east" however do try to do the right thing.

This is just in response to a recent post in the Tibooburra thread where it was stated exploration leases were free to access. I may have read it wrong but most areas require some form of permission.

Even in WA we need permission to access an Exploration Lease although we have systems in place to gain access.

Mining lease.png

Everything here is classed as a mining lease. If it involves mining and it's leased then it's a mining lease however there are many types of mining leases as shown here. The only ground here that you are free to access is the blue E21/217 and P20/2458 because these are pending approval. The blue P20/2484 may appear to be pending but it is over P20/2486 which is a live lease and therefore off limits.
The others; "M" mining, no access
"P" prospecting, no access
"E" exploration, access by 40e permit
"L" miscellaneous, no access
and there are others all out of bounds to the recreational prospector.
There is a little patch near the centre where the orange and red lines intersect. This is vacant crown land and therefore unrestricted to prospect on.

Latest posts