Current WA Tour Recommendations

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teemore

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Just curious about any feedback from anyone that's done a prospecting tour in WA recently (or not so recently).
Either as an all inclusive option, recognising that that would be more expensive or, as a "Tag Along" type option.
Thought that anything less than 10 days in the west would be better spent on a dedicated gold tour, then again I could be wrong.
As an option is it possible to fly (from eastern states) and hire a 4WD in goldfields area?
Years ago someone had posted a very detailed account of their trip with mates listing costs/milage/food/permits/etc/etc ..... pretty I sure I filed it in that never to be found again location.
keen to hear what your experience has been.
Cheers T.

Hi Tom
I did an all things catered for trip with Gold relics some years ago, I think it was about 10 days. Flew into Kalgoorlie, picked up and taken to a camp and looked after very well. Darren Kampe and a couple of his associates showed us the ropes. They did not detect themselves just basically helped us with all things gold including finding some. Company was good, food excellent and best of all everything including detectors supplied. While everyone found gold (I think there were about 10 of us, long time ago so not certain) it was grams not ounces. Best part was not having to worry about getting shot from being where you should not have been as Darren had all the permits etc.

I was very happy as a then (and still) a novice. Not sure if they still do that sort of trip but would recommend them.

Cheers
Bob

I had several other links to goldfields tour people saved on my PC, but when I checked those today, their websites were gone. I'd guess that Covid border closures/public liability insurance price rises/fuel price hikes/difficulty of arranging tenement access, may have killed off their businesses, unfortunately.

I suggest you get a copy of the latest Gold, Gem & Treasure and see if there's any adverts for tours that you could research further and perhaps book ahead for next year, although I wouldn't recommend paying a big deposit too early, given the current economic climate.

Just curious about any feedback from anyone that's done a prospecting tour in WA recently (or not so recently).
Either as an all inclusive option, recognising that that would be more expensive or, as a "Tag Along" type option.
Thought that anything less than 10 days in the west would be better spent on a dedicated gold tour, then again I could be wrong.
As an option is it possible to fly (from eastern states) and hire a 4WD in goldfields area?
Years ago someone had posted a very detailed account of their trip with mates listing costs/milage/food/permits/etc/etc ..... pretty I sure I filed it in that never to be found again location.
keen to hear what your experience has been.
Cheers T.

Tom, WA is pretty easy because we have some very easy to understand rules on gold prospecting. DMIRS, the WA Mines Department, give any registered prospector free access to online maps and mines data across the state. A short course with somebody like Aussie Goldrush Camps would give you all the start you need to get underway.

We recently had a visit from "Gary" a pom who flew into Perth from the UK. I offered to get him started if he made his way to Cue however I was in Nullagine prospecting by the time he arrived in April 2023. He acquired a suitably fitted out vehicle, purchased a bit of prospecting gear and drove to Nullagine where he spent a week or so with us and found his first gold.

He sent me a text a couple of days back from Cairns. He'd just returned from Cape York and was heading back around the top, destination Steep Point, WA. The prospecting vehicle I'm putting together at the moment is a 2WD van that will be capable of getting me to most places in WA cheaper than a 4WD rig.

Tom, WA is pretty easy because we have some very easy to understand rules on gold prospecting. DMIRS, the WA Mines Department, give any registered prospector free access to online maps and mines data across the state. A short course with somebody like Aussie Goldrush Camps would give you all the start you need to get underway.

We recently had a visit from "Gary" a pom who flew into Perth from the UK. I offered to get him started if he made his way to Cue however I was in Nullagine prospecting by the time he arrived in April 2023. He acquired a suitably fitted out vehicle, purchased a bit of prospecting gear and drove to Nullagine where he spent a week or so with us and found his first gold.

He sent me a text a couple of days back from Cairns. He'd just returned from Cape York and was heading back around the top, destination Steep Point, WA. The prospecting vehicle I'm putting together at the moment is a 2WD van that will be capable of getting me to most places in WA cheaper than a 4WD rig.
Thanks, actually for my nieces partner, he detects mainly around Bendigo and is keen on a WA trip and has asked me to come along ... so checking out the options, most likely fly in, hire something and try a decent tag along type thing for a first look (as time may be limited) ..... if a longer trip eventuates then other options open up for us.
Interesting that a 2WD gets a few people around, my territory certainly does here in Vic, not having 4WD stops me taking on stupid deeply rutted tracks (common sense rules) but with a bit more clearance a lot of areas are accessible (obviously with torrential rain the situation changes).
Thanks for you feedback, T.

Latest posts