Victorian Newbie - question on purchasing detector GPX 5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InLikeFlynn66

Newbie - but enthusiastic
Reaction score
Hello all. Looking to get into some gold prospecting.

I'm pretty green but I've been researching metal detectors.

Have been leaning towards the GPX5000.

Any thoughts on whether this would be a good choice for me?

Also, some coils that have been mentioned to me are:

12" Evo Coil
19" Evo Coil
14" Mono Elite
18x12" Gold Stalker

Would be grateful for some wise heads to let me know thoughts on any of these coils.

Thanks in advance.

Hello all. Looking to get into some gold prospecting.

I'm pretty green but I've been researching metal detectors.

Have been leaning towards the GPX5000.

Any thoughts on whether this would be a good choice for me?

Also, some coils that have been mentioned to me are:

12" Evo Coil
19" Evo Coil
14" Mono Elite
18x12" Gold Stalker

Would be grateful for some wise heads to let me know thoughts on any of these coils.

Thanks in advance.
IMO the 5000 is a great machine to start with but some people can have a bit of a learning curve with them. Investing in a decent training day is often money well spent.
As for coils I wouldn't be getting too caught up with them to begin with. The supplied 11" mono (& DD) is a great coil & I always recommend that people become familiar with using it first.
The Evo & Elite coils can be a bit more difficult to run in some conditions/areas & my opinion is people should get pretty comfortable + familiar with operating the GPX4500/5000 before looking to outlay more money on coils.

IMO the 5000 is a great machine to start with but some people can have a bit of a learning curve with them. Investing in a decent training day is often money well spent.
As for coils I wouldn't be getting too caught up with them to begin with. The supplied 11" mono (& DD) is a great coil & I always recommend that people become familiar with using it first.
The Evo & Elite coils can be a bit more difficult to run in some conditions/areas & my opinion is people should get pretty comfortable + familiar with operating the GPX4500/5000 before looking to outlay more money on coils.
Thanks mbasko. I'm definitely signing up for a training day (maybe a 2 or 3 day weekend training session). Reason for me wanting to buy to start with is the training I'm looking at suggests you can bring your own detector. I'm thinking it's better to learn on the one I own.

Thanks mbasko. I'm definitely signing up for a training day (maybe a 2 or 3 day weekend training session). Reason for me wanting to buy to start with is the training I'm looking at suggests you can bring your own detector. I'm thinking it's better to learn on the one I own.
Definitely plus the 5000 is a detector that once your confident with it, it will serve you well for many years as you learn more about it & gold detecting.

Not much. About 20 years ago with a very basic detector.
That's OK. With a forum name of InLikeFlynn and the tagline "Newbie - but enthusiaistic", I was a bit concerned you might be buying a boat before you'd found out whether you actually like fishing. ;)

You can't go too far wrong with the 5000 - it's a well-proven workhorse that's more than capable once you develop your skills with it. Alternatively, you can hire detectors and try out other machines before committing serious $$$. Good luck, anyway!

I have a very good reason to take this seriously. I'm looking to retire early, so want to dig up a sizeable nugget so I can quit my day job 😅

I started out with a Garrett ATX and found good gold but after a year or so swapped it for a GPX4500, similar to the GPX5000. That first GPX4500 is still a favorite and has paid for itself many times over however if you start out with a plan to retire on your gold finds then you might be better off just buying a pan. It can be easier to cover your costs and less likely to put you in debt.

In terms of a retirement scale return on a detector I would suggest suggest a Tattslotto brand one. More millionaires courtesy of Tattslotto tickets than detector purchasers by a long margin.
After 40 years of detecting the easy, big nuggets are now a rarity and prospecting is a hobby or occupation not really a get rich opportunity.these days. Nevertheless less we all live in hope.
Seriously though If considering a 5000 your coil kit should cover all bases and include a small, medium and large. The array you mentioned could be described as medium, large, medium and medium-large.
Small gold is often the first indicator of deeper larger gold. A small coil such as an 8” round mono would allow your 5000 to compete on reasonable terms with machines such as a 2300 and 6000 for those small gold indicators.
So I would seriously consider adding something like an 8” round Commader or small NF elliptical into your considerations.

In terms of a retirement scale return on a detector I would suggest suggest a Tattslotto brand one. More millionaires courtesy of Tattslotto tickets than detector purchasers by a long margin.
After 40 years of detecting the easy, big nuggets are now a rarity and prospecting is a hobby or occupation not really a get rich opportunity.these days. Nevertheless less we all live in hope.
Seriously though If considering a 5000 your coil kit should cover all bases and include a small, medium and large. The array you mentioned could be described as medium, large, medium and medium-large.
Small gold is often the first indicator of deeper larger gold. A small coil such as an 8” round mono would allow your 5000 to compete on reasonable terms with machines such as a 2300 and 6000 for those small gold indicators.
So I would seriously consider adding something like an 8” round Commader or small NF elliptical into your considerations.
Thanks for the advice Hawkear. Looking forward to getting out into the field. Already scoping some areas. Good way to keep fit and have a bit of fun in the bush.

Thanks for the tip BigL. Can't wait to get out there.
5000 is a great detector with loads of coil options. But I would not overlook the 4500 with just as many coil options and much cheaper. This would allow you to get into the search for gold. My personal choice would be buy what you can afford. My choice would be in terms of money if you can afford would be
SDC searching for shallow gold and turn in and go
4500 searching for deeper gold with 12” evo
5000 searching for deeper gold with 12” evo
is a little more sensitive in the right hands.
Remember the 4500 and 5000 can use loads of different coil including the coiltek 14”
Remember you may not even enjoy searching
cheets

5000 is a great detector with loads of coil options. But I would not overlook the 4500 with just as many coil options and much cheaper. This would allow you to get into the search for gold. My personal choice would be buy what you can afford. My choice would be in terms of money if you can afford would be
SDC searching for shallow gold and turn in and go
4500 searching for deeper gold with 12” evo
5000 searching for deeper gold with 12” evo
is a little more sensitive in the right hands.
Remember the 4500 and 5000 can use loads of different coil including the coiltek 14”
Remember you may not even enjoy searching
cheets

Thanks HH. I think it's going to be more like a hobby for me. But you never know if the gold bug bites lol. I do a lot of remote hiking (just signed up for the Overland Track in Tassie for later this year) and I'm also into a bit of funghi foraging. So I'm figuring doing a bit of prospecting will add another dimension to my outdoor activities.

@InLikeFlynn66 what did you end up buying?
I ended up buying a second hand GPX 5000. Great condition. Looks like it's hardly been used. It was a bundle with a couple of extra coils, pick and shovel, pans, snake gaiters, pinpointer, radio and bits and bobs. Now getting on to booking some training.

I ended up buying a second hand GPX 5000. Great condition. Looks like it's hardly been used. It was a bundle with a couple of extra coils, pick and shovel, pans, snake gaiters, pinpointer, radio and bits and bobs. Now getting on to booking some training.
Congratulations Mr. Flynn, sounds like a great starter pack and the best of luck to you. Hope you have lots of fun and get those nuggets everyone would love to have!

Latest posts