Victorian Bushfire advice and information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
live in amoungst the tree,s.... and burn...stupid people.. I think it is time everyone woke up.. this has happened and it will happen again... takes a lot to fix stupid... :)

A wee bit harsh Kawman but I know exactly what you mean, I often think the same thing myself, how can you live in the middle of a forest with all that tinder around.
Mackka

mate... 500 homes burnt down in recent years... nearly all of them in amoungst the trees... death traps... my mother was killed in a house fire...security screen on all the windows...she could not get out... trapped and killed by her own stupidity.. :|

The fires near Ballarat recently were mostly grass fires and nearly all the house that were lost were not in the bush.
People build homes on coastal cliffs and beaches, they also build them by water ways such as river's and creeks.
This country is a beautiful but harsh land and unforgiving to say the least.
We even build cities in cyclone prone area's.
What I'm trying to say I guess is that humans will always take risks and sometimes pay the ultimate price for it.
A bit like any extreme sports or job.
Cheers Steve

Hmmmm I was coming home tonight from 'Frankston' travelling down 'Skye Rd' when I see a small fire next to the sidewalk in very dry bushy area, I drove past slowly thinking some homeless guy must have a little camp fire burning to keep warm....Turn around and it is starting to get bigger as the wind was fanning the flames.
A young woman who just arrived home was on the phone to the fire department, me being ever resourceful stopped across the road from the fire, I put my hazard lights on go to the boot of the car and grab the shovel, yes I drive around with a shovel in the car, run across the road and look for some dirt.....Well I started digging into the nature strip watching the fire grow, I throw the dirt into the path of the fire to stop it spreading slowing working my way back towards the end that the wind was blowing.
Happy days as the young girl was talking to the Fire Department telling them I was there with a shovel putting dirt onto the fire.
Disaster averted, we grabbed each others first name then she said she would wait for the Fire department after saying it was lucky I had a shovel what are the chances of that.
I said I am glad someone else cared enough to actually do something at least 5 other cars just went straight past.
Good deed done for the day.... :) :Y: :Y: :Y:

B5MECH said:
Nice work gda :cool: :Y: looks like Smokey might be around your area testing his new lighter again :lol: :lol:
Love the lighter......but it just doesn't seem to satisfy the urge...SO I GOT A NEW TOY
1489787577_screenshot_20170318-072800_crop_455x337-800x593.jpg
:eek: ]:D ]:D ]:D :p :p {) {) :D

Thanks blokes I am sure everyone single one of you would have done the same thing.... Glad I had the shovel in the boot because other than that I had pans, bucket, sieve lol Can see myself scooping the dirt with those other items mentioned. I looked at the young woman named Katy and said hope they don't mind me digging a hole in the nature strip, she said I am sure they won't mind. :)

Latest posts