Improving the level of education on bushfire prep and survivability

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There seems to be a very poor level of understanding among the Australian public about how to prepare , assess risk and survive bushfires . Can we do this better ?

For many decades there has been an almost iconic misconception that the true blue Aussie only has to stand on his roof wearing thongs and T-shirt and spray his garden hose around in order to save his home and survive a bushfire.

This is absolute crap.

There are many factors that can be applied to survive fires.

The first thing is to assess a few simple factors to decide if you stay or flee.

If the property is in a rural or bushfire prone area and is poorly prepared and has combustible material / rubbish built up around it then there is 0 % chance that anything a homeowner can do will give them any chance of survival and they should flee.

If a home doesnt have backup water tanks , engine driven water pump and heavy duty roof sprinklers then again there is close to a 0 % chance they can defend the average home and they should flee.

If the homeowner has made an effort to clear combustible materials such as rubbish around their home , removed dead foliage or long grass to a distance of at least 15 metres , removed dead leaves from guttering , installed leaf guards to cover the gutters ,installed water tanks , roof sprinklers , and a water pump that will still operate if the mains electricity goes down , closed windows and doors , removed flammable door mats , blocked gaps under doors with wet towels or rolled up Al-Foil , covered vent holes in walls and roof , covered vulnerable windows with stainless steel mesh to minimise ember risk and radiant heat transfer , entered roof spaces and removed bird nests in the ceilings and block off entry points where birds / embers can enter , remove and relocate LPG gas bottles from house supply points or barbecue areas , installed water tanks in a location protected from radiant heat , water pumps with an independent power source using either electric pump with redundant backup power ( battery powered or UPS) or diesel / petrol powered pump , commercial grade water sprinklers mounted on the roof , piped up with non flammable piping such as copper or steel and connected directly to the water source so the property owner can flick one tap or switch to operate the system , and have downpipe gate valves so they can close the downpipes quickly to retain a water filled state in the guttering , if they have enough water it will help to have further sprinklers to cover the lawns and gardens to a distance of at least 10 metres around the home.

If they do all the above they might have a 40 - 100 % chance of survival .

Homeowners can sometimes have less than 20 seconds to initiate their defence system , if it takes longer they could well be overrun by embers and flames and it will be too late.
The ideal situation is to have just one switch or tap to activate their entire home defence , if it requires 10 minutes to activate then they are 9.5 minutes too late , canopy or scrub fires can travel 100 metres in as little as 15 - 20 seconds and embers can travel up to 15 km in low humidity and high wind conditions.

When assessing survivability people must identify if there are large numbers of trees within 30 - 40 metres of the home , if canopy fires come that close the radiant heat can reach 1500 Celsius which again can mean 0 % survivability , grass fires or fires through small masses of vegetation can be managed where survivability is possible. Human lungs cant withstand more than around 60 Celsius of inhaled air without even factoring in toxic components in the air.

Many homeowners have purchased their own small fire fighting pumps however at best these might spray water up to 15 - 20 metres from the nozzle , this will never be enough to defend against canopy fires due to radiant heat , at best they can only defend ember attacks and spot fires around the home but few people understand this.

if people use petrol powered water pumps these obviously have a risk of combustion but this can be mitigated by various types of wetted or insulated coverings , temperatures above 65 degrees can also cause vapourlocks in petrol pumps too which will cause them to cease working.

With our bushfire history we have been embarrassingly slow to adapt to realities in this area.

We must also learn to design and build homes with better materials science and design criteria to comply with or exceed BAL-40 bushfire rating.

It is possible to build homes which are 100 % safe even in close proximity to the bush.

Well put CS, but sadly human nature being what it is you will not change some peoples minds.

Many towns like Mallacoota only have one road in and out and towns like this may need to be subjected to mandatory evacuations or permanent infrastructure created which provides a fire/disaster safe zone.

Leaving early is still the only safe option, what price do you put on life.

You may be on the right path there CS but you also have to get the councils and National Parks people to impliment an effective bushfire management strategy. Most of these bushfires could of been prevented if ground cover had been burnt off at the correct time.

You also have to be able to shoot the arsonists before they start the fires.

Cheers

Doug

Were are in an area that is reasonably low risk. But anywhere can be high risk on days of 40 plus degrees and high winds. Ive seen areas totally devastated in the black Saturday fires that were much like our area. I think unfortunately that people think that there prepared but unless they have lived through it before they just dont realise how intense and totally overwhelming it can be, even the best prepared properties can succumb, whilst one next door that wasnt survives. No matter how well prepared in my opinion, just leave if you can. No properties worth your and your loved ones lives.

Rockhunter62 said:
You may be on the right path there CS but you also have to get the councils and National Parks people to impliment an effective bushfire management strategy. Most of these bushfires could of been prevented if ground cover had been burnt off at the correct time.

Cheers

Doug
I agree that there should be way more controlled burning, mostly around populated areas to mitigate the risk that a wildfire will have. But most of these fires still would have happened as there is just way too much land to burn all of it. Millions of hectares . Unfortunately it just cant be done.

There have been a couple of parliamentary inquiries over the last 20 years
A federal parliamentary inquiry into bushfires in 2003
A Vic parlimantary inquiery in 2007 and a bush fire royal commission in 2009.
Most of the recommendations coming out of those inqueries have been haphazadly Implamented or been ignored.

An article in the SMH from 2009
https://amp.smh.com.au/environment/...-20090211-84mk.html?__twitter_impression=true

July 2007 Scott Gentle, the Victorian manager of Timber Communities Australia, complained of obstruction from green local government authorities of any type of fire mitigation strategies. He told of green interference at Kinglake - at the epicentre of Saturday's disaster, where at least 147 people died - during a smaller fire there in 2007.

"The contractors were out working on the fire lines. They put in containment lines and cleared off some of the fire trails. Two weeks later that fire broke out, but unfortunately those trails had been blocked up again [by greens] to turn it back to its natural state Instances like that are just too numerous to mention. Governments have been in too much of a rush to appease green idealism This thing about locking up forests is just not working."
10 years later the same cycle repeats its self - increased fuel loads and green interference and obstruction.

Afticle from Sept 2019
Our crews ignited the burn near Mossiface and then had to call 000 to activate Victoria Police when, contrary to Authorised Officers advice members of the public entered the burn zone and refused to leave.

This is reckless and irresponsible behaviour that puts their own lives and the lives of our firefighters and the community at risk in addition to tying up valuable police resources.

https://www.trfm.com.au/articles/planned-burns-halted/

ABC report on actavists protesting hazzard reduction burns in Gippsland Sept 2019

1577869493_75963b02-b445-477c-83b3-e6e9a92c5bae.jpg

1577870456_7eada11b-2fe6-49ac-a328-c729974c9b36.jpg

Bushfire cliches.

Bushfires wont come here mate I been here 20 years and I never saw one

I never thought it could happen here

I cant believe how fast it happened

We will be fine my brother is in the CFA

I cant believe how fast it got here there was nothing we could do

We didnt have time to pack anything , it just happened too fast

But its a brick house , we thought we would be safe

You just dont think it could ever happen to you

:clap: :clap: :clap: Nucopia this is the frustration I have heard from a couple of fiery mates. Thanks for putting into facts.

I understand wanting to save everything but where are the protesters now.

Ooops camping at parliament house whinging about paris climate accord.

They lock up every bit of bush to protect it , if the public destroy the bush and get caught they get fined, how about locking the ministers and park rangers up for destroying millions of hectares.
Logging 100 acres every 20 klm would have resulted in the logging guys building decent roads through bush tracks.
Let cattle back into the bush land early spring and chew it out.
Clear 500 meters minimum each side of every road.

All these and more would have saved the environment , but the greens cry everytime.

Manage the bush with brains, locking it up and pussy footing around has just wiped out every animal that was there , hows ya endangered gender bias frog etc now....bbq.
Greenies are worse for the enviroment than agriculture and logging.

Poor spelling i am pissed about this issue and the greens will just blame us somehow for causing this.

Didn't notice any spelling mistake AF :Y: your right the bush can and in the past was well managed.

LW so long as the inquiry if it goes ahead finds the greens ideology has/is putting lives and livelihood at stake. The cheek to call for an inquiry while fires still rage is appalling, everyone in the public eye I'd of thought would be focusing on those who have lost everything or are desperate :mad: :fistpump: rant over.

Bjay said:
Rockhunter62 said:

Cheers

Doug
I agree that there should be way more controlled burning, mostly around populated areas to mitigate the risk that a wildfire will have. But most of these fires still would have happened as there is just way too much land to burn all of it. Millions of hectares . Unfortunately it just cant be done.

Agree totally
I hate the greens and what they stand for as much as the next bloke but reality is this is a combination or severe drought and weather conditions mainly,backburning on the fringes of towns or properties would of helped of course but under these circumstances it wouldnt of been a solution,
In saying that i hope an prey some changes are made to the red tape nightmare involved to backburn areas,someone mentioned to me the other day there is 2-300 pages of BS to file for approval to burn an area,it will help but sadly not a total fix when nature lines it all up with drought and weather.....

Nah they will chew through Rope, must use chains and a padlock and throw the key 10' in front of them... Then give them a blunt hack-saw blade and tell them to take their choice.... ;) :D

LW....

Just got off the phone with one of our property managers ..
Great no hassle long term tenant has an aircon issue ..easy fix repair or replace Monday.. :Y:
That settled we chit chat for a bit to catch up on hows things are going in town and naturally the conversation turns to the fires ..
Yep no surprises
Beween Christmas and New Year two people arrested for lighting fires in the bush around town ..
Luckily the fires were put out before any major damage was caused ..

Weather drough fuel loads are a factor but with out ignition the bush cant burn
It takes one of three things for ignition to happen
lightning
an accident such as power lines arcing or tree banches falling car accidents grinding etc
or humans beings lighting them deliberatly

:mad:

Unfortunately, back burning generally doesn't help with high wind speed crowning fires, as they are just intended to remove surface fuel loads.
Great for days with low wind conditions, but for what was seen recently, nothing would stop those crowning fires except massive clearings, lakes and oceans.
Yes fuel reduction will reduce the chances of spot fires starting, but even those that require huge areas of burning.
When younger, I would stay and defend my home during a ground fire with 20k litre water tanks and a large Davey fire pump with 2 branches each with 50m of lay flat, but with high winds and crowning expected, I wouldn't stand a chance and our family/pets would be long gone.
Now, I'm just packed and ready to leave.
PS: I spent ~3 years as a volunteer in the Mt Lofty Ranges (Aldgate CFS), and was qualified with Drger equipment for structural fires. That time gave me a healthy respect for bush and structural fires, but not nearly with the intensity we've been seeing. Holy shite!!!

Latest posts