Victorian Bushfire advice and information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We graded a firebreak between our properties. The fences are now all steel droppers and wire - if those bxxxxards burn - good luck. Straight through a run off an old quartz reef mine (my place) to a set of diggings (Smokey's place) - never ones to miss an opportunity. It even has a puddler!! and yes - we have both done the area to death over the years :lol:

Heard on the news yesterday that there had been a fair size fire in the eldorado area . Reckon it would be a good opportunity to detect areas that were previously thick scrub ? What do you reckon ?

I reckon your spot on Hiluxiou,

If the ground is still hot, the first indication will be burning plastic ;)

Its a toss up between waiting for the ground to cool ( day or three, depending on weather), and getting out there before I do :eek:

However, you are on the right track :cool:

Thanks Loamer. Being from NZ and living in the city here I forget that fire bans/warnings are something I need to check on.
Have bookmarked those pages for future use.
Cheers :cool:

Its crazy us Qlders get heat like that and we get storms you poor Vico,s get that heat and blinkin fires pop up! I feel for the victims.

My advice would be not to go in the bush when the fire danger ratings are extreme or code red. I wanted to do some prospecting during one such day last year and the wife luckily talked me out of it, we had bushfires pop up all around us that day. Check the CFA warnings and bans before you go.

loamer said:
Just a friendly bit of advice:

I note a few folk are planning on hitting the Vic Fields in the next few days. Check the CFA site at http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/warnings-restrictions/total-fire-bans-and-ratings/

Saturday is extreme in some places. State forests and parks are closed on code red and may close on extreme.

Check DEPI warnings site as well at http://www.depi.vic.gov.au/fire-and-emergencies/public-land-fire-restrictions

Just got back this afternoon after deciding on cutting my prospecting trip short due to Total Fire Bans.

State Forest with rating at Severe is close enough to the edge, in the interests of personal safety and not being able to have a camp fire at night makes it time to head home for me!

Yeh, I'm not happy, but its nothing a few cold beers in front of the tube with the A/C blowing wont fix!

Good advice mate ;)

If you are thinking about heading into the central Vic goldfields please check the current alerts - follow link - click on the areas and read the warnings. Some warnings for Kyneton/Bald hills

You are in danger, act now to protect yourself.
It is too late to leave. The safest option is to take shelter indoors immediately.

http://warnings.cfa.vic.gov.au/#

Get your selves the "fire ready" app if you do not have it.
Some free water coming our way L.

Bushfire started on Macclesfield Rd, Yellingbow, high wind and high temps causing worry. Half way along, possibly in the dense yellingbow conservation reserve.
Pack early if needed and be prepared, I hope its put under control asap..today is not a good day for for fire with a high chance of spot fires.
Warning and evacuation prepare warning have been sent out.

Grassfire also started in Pakenham

Be careful for those who live here in the Yarra Valley, we know far too well what can happen and prepare early!!

Meant to be a 15 degree drop this arvo and hopefully the wind dies off with the temp.

Supposibly under control for now but a south west wind change at 3.30pm - 5pm may push the fire to the North East towards Nangana area.

Control does not mean 'put out'. Still be on high alert anyone close to those areas

Bad 1 in the Lancefield area north of Melb as well ...... interesting .... if you check the BOM Rain Radar you'll see a line of "rain" originating there and spreading SE ... think it's caused by the smoke ????

The clouds are thick with smoke and were breathing it already

New update - grassfire Seville and bushfire at Wandin North. No details yet

If the fires continue, remember Warburton Hwy will be packed, if the fire heads north it will try to cross over the hwy. Prepare prepare prepare
May only be small warning at the moment but ill update in case. Its not a good day for it and good luck to everyone over vic

Latest posts