under the surface - scuba diving finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did just have to wash them first Robert,... who knows what lurks in that shed after dark,... but yes, they look like they've just been cleaned and ready for the Milko to swap over for full ones in the early morning.
Robert Le Mal said:
they're in pretty good nic, interesting.

shallow dive at Williamstown this morning in the usual crap visibility. Some sunshine would have been nice too so I could see the bottom better... oh well.

Found yet another pint milk bottle, nice light blue glass bottle, OT Ltd bottle with pretty leaves & fruit (doesn't show in foto), R Mosely bottle which is broken but I took it because it has the stopper & best of all .... an intact G H Bennett bottle with the rubber seal & marble still in there... very happy.
G H Bennett stopped making stuff in 1916 (according to the interwebs) so even better.

I also found another screw stopper rolling around on the bottom but gave that to Ron at the local dive shop since he had a bottle with a stopper and it fits.

Still waiting on my Excalibur to be fixed by Minelab... actually still waiting on an email response from MINELAB! Not very impressed so far - want to get metal detecting under water.....
1422951555_williamstown_3_feb_2015_d.jpg

That's great that you found an intact marble bottle, surely that would be money in the bank with regards type and age.

Hey Silver I'm stoked that it's in one piece. Not sure how much it's worth but it has pride of place among my growing collection on the shelf now. Never thought I'd collect old bottles but Minelab's inability to repair something in a timely manner has sort of encouraged me to find what appears to be another addiction.

Thank you Sandta I'll look up Dobson patent, that way I'll at least appear more intelligent when I talk about that particular bottle ;)

Dived with Ron from All About Scuba, seems we've hit this area at Williamstown hard, difficult to find anything that is not a modern beer bottle or even something old remotely intact. Next big storm will hopefully move the sand to reveal more booty.
Another large Marchants - unfortunately with a chip on the bottom and a Barrett Brothers Soda bottle marked "North Fitzroy" (could date back as far as 1910 apparently).
Text & logo on this Marchants slightly different to the better quality one I already have.
1423120795_williamstown_5_feb_2015.jpg

Square milk Bottles "as the new saying goes"

I have the Square One Quart and 1/2 pint WITH the Silver foil lids.

But no 1 Pint...

If any one has a 1 Pint.... PM me.

I only have those two square bottles that I showed earlier, just had a look in the shed and couldn't actually see any square quart bottles either,...but I couldn't see everything as some are lying on top of others in boxes, if I come across 1 pint in a square as a spare, I'll let you know.
Cheers and Beers.
Silver.

AngerManagement said:
Square milk Bottles "as the new saying goes"

I have the Square One Quart and 1/2 pint WITH the Silver foil lids.

But no 1 Pint...

If any one has a 1 Pint.... PM me.

wanted to go diving at Princes Pier today... Looked fantastic - on the surface.
Visibility would be similar to that if you plunged your head into a thick shake... like less than a meter, not nice. 7 meters to the bottom and I can't see what my fins are touching it's that dark and the light on the surface is a pale monkey sh*t brown glow.
1423216681_princes_pier_6_feb_15_stumps_small.jpg

So swam back and drove to my favourite spot at Williamstown.
My friend Les (who is a dive instructor) found two of the bottles. I had seen similar brown bottles before but hand not picked them up figuring brown glass is newish.

Anyway green bottle with lots of bubbles in the glass (probably 1900-1930) MBCV bottle that Les found 1920's and another one Les found a 1950s Tarax bottle

1423216681_williamstown_6_feb_2015.jpg

1423216681_mbcv_bottle.jpg

dived on the site of the wreck of the Gellibrand pile light (sort of like a little lighthouse - people lived there for a while) which was struck by a ship and then set on fire in 1976. We only checked out the immediate area where the piles were set into an artificial reef, the debris does not account for the majority of the structure - which is out there somewhere.
Found an old beer bottle similar shape to the MBCV above but only has "C" on the base.... and yet another 1 pint milk bottle. I also found part of the toilet bowl (yay) but somehow forgot to video that vital find... :)
Definitely want to go back and search in concentric circles until we find more debris.

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr8sy0LIG74[/video]

I find diving relaxing, except when I think I spot an old bottle just poking out of the sand, or when I almost bump into a large smooth ray who is my size heading in the opposite direction.

thanks for sharing the experience Robert,..A joy to be there with you,... thanks muchly.
Cheers and Beers.
Silver.

pleased you enjoyed it Silver.
And since this isn't a video about one of my Minelab detectors I'll put this video here.
And thanks again Andrew for the loan of the Sea Hunter.
[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk2Ew0W3mxM[/video]

To those who use pulse induction machines - please be gentle, this was my first time.... sounds a bit wrong but true. Totally different to anything I've hunted with before and add to that being under water and let's just say it's not quite as effortless as it looks.

I thought that was going to be a ring when you said glasses and it turned out to be a bangle,... Awesome vid,.. I'm just about to show my young fella now.

Latest posts