under the surface - scuba diving finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
southerly wind made diving a little more difficult at Altona today.
Couple of dollars in coins, approx 15 sinkers, bottle tops, hooks, a very large junk ring, junk earring, and a pair of wearable sunnies.
Anglers on the pier managed to tangle my dive flag in their line which was resolved quickly when I surfaced near them with a helpful dive knife, didn't even need to cut their line :cool:
Didn't bother shooting video because you'd just be watching pea soup with some bloke's hand appearing sometimes.

Big junk ring - with 50 cents for scale, ring is now in tumbler, wife wants the ring but frankly I don't know if it will survive cleaning as it's been in the water a long time.
1446527812_big_junk_ring.jpg

New sunnies I found at 3 meters (just cheap junk) but go with my Russian mafia impression - living it up post dive in the backyard.
ps I've stopped eating bacon because it's bad apparently.
1446527870_russian_mafia_on_holiday.jpg

went for a dive today at Altona with the Sea Grunter mkII, enjoyable if low viz dive.
1449723167_10_dec_2015_altona.jpg

nothing fantastic, 2 junk earrings and a junk bracelet ...some coins. The knife is good quality stainless made in the US so that's a keeper.

Also discovered that the Sea Grunter does not like being near an Excal, which I should have known but there you go. Was having a hard time staying close to my dive buddy but only had to follow the pulses given off by the Excal and bam!
1449723317_me_n_ron_10_dec_15.jpg

Bit naughty but I'm going to say it anyway...
much like picking up at a night club - didn't look so good by time I got home
1449723374_thats_what_she_said_10_dec_15.jpg

hit Altona again, I seem to have cleaned out the easy to reach stuff, almost everything was at least 10 cm under the sand and the sunglasses came out of the same hole that 4 earrings did, I'm guessing at least 15 cm down. On land that's not too hard but underwater & fanning it's a bummer. Have to change spots until the public are kind enough to replenish things.
1450076540_14_dec_2015_altona_diving.jpg

Bit light handed today, but still some finds mate. Bloody octopuss swarm must have moved some away ;)

Nearly like your other sherriff shades again too hahaa

I went for a river snorkel today, found broken glass, bottle caps between the 5" blue crays everywhere which were fun to play with. I just ended up cleaning rocks and fanning sand as well while underwater today.

Looks like the heavier stuff might be deeper down again, or further offshore. Might have to wait for some sand movement to occur to make things a bit easier, are you hitting a clay bottom/rocks, or is it all sand? :)

hey Goldpick - there is more stuff deeper but I'm already fanning down and scooping with my hands in some cases 20 + cms. It can be a bit depressing doing all that for bobby pins :( the Sea Grunter is good but like an 18 year old bloke at a night club it does not discriminate in what it locks onto.

Silver, I am using my hands under the pinpointer to empty out the bottoms of holes I'm fanning. The pinpointer is pretty cool because I can use my fingers to get right under it and in most cases scoop the target out with a fist full of sand. Fanning is good for shallow stuff but deeper things... well you'd just be there forever fanning a massive crater. On the upside the fish love it :)

Latest posts