expanding this section?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi People,

this section is specifically for discussion of metal detecting for treasure, coin and relic on land or in the water.
My Excalibur is away being fixed (fingers crossed) so I have been scuba diving a bit.

I have been finding a few old bottles, black glass through to stuff from the 1950-60s. I've even started using a metal prod to search the sand in certain spots, and turning up bottles.

Question is - would anyone like to see my finds?
Second if so, then where on the forum? Is there an existing section that's suitable?

Best regards

Robert

Hi Jaros,

if people are cool with that I'll do it. I'm also hoping for help identify some of the bottles - and I reckon someone here would know something.

I have hesitated simply because "metal detecting" is part of the description for this section and I'm not sure where else it goes.

Best regards

Robert

Could probably have sections for thing like Bottles/Buttons which people could add to over time so more a general thread than a personal one, just an idea anyway :)

have posted in the general section (as you're aware) - will see what happens.
I suppose if others want to post similar then something might organically happen.
I'm just happy to share the joy of finding stuff and seeing what others have dug up (literally)

Yes, finding STUFF..

While detecting for some items, often you can come across many other interesting finds.

I have seen some wonderful wild flowers, old run-down buildings, old dumps including piles of bottles, interesting rock formations, big bad snakes and way to much general rubbish and scrap.

Doing this for a hobby and exercise, finds of a spendable nature is one additional outcome for ME; that I treat as a bonus.

However it should not preclude some of the other finds / pictures that can be over looked re posting AND YET add so much depth to the whole detecting experience.

Hi Treasureman,

started a thread under the General section.
And I just came home with 2 more bottles, unfortunately both post 1945 I'm sure. Will put fotos up when I've cleaned the crud off them.
One is a Pint milk bottle and the other might have been a whisky bottle? Will look up the manufacturer when I can read the glass.

Not a great day for a dive but on the up side saw a massive smooth sting ray close to shore & didn't see any tiger sharks, local fisherman told me he'd pulled a 2.5 meter one out of the water a few days ago and his brother was hoping to hook one today... and I could see his brother 500m off shore. Exciting.

Maybe you could call it "Bottles and Bits" Robert and we could all post our bottle finds on it with you.
Silver.

good idea. Might do that, I know someone else who found a nice old Boon Spa bottle off Altona last week.

excellent, hopefully people can put some interesting stuff here?
I'm diving soon on some spots in Port Phillip Bay that have produced old bottles recently so I can only cross my fingers that I'll have more photos to post up soon.

Latest posts