Typically bad weather and fires

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thesmithy

Well done, hope you get to rest before the next round.
I think you need to post that on all the forums you are on, we need to know what our unsung hero's achieve.
THANKYOU.

Smithy,

Not enough can be done to say Thank You to blokes like you and your crew, you go into hell for all of us!
Hope you get to have a cold one at some stage? CHEERS

Regards Dal

it is scary with fires every where but we know heros like you are helping to keep us safe just wish the government burn the national parks in winter so we all don't face this danger every year in ten years I have had 4 major fires burn real close to my house from every direction sooner or later I will get hit if they do not change the way they manage national parks and water catchment getting to be very bad living in the bush :eek:

Heartfelt thanks to all you guys for an extremely well done job. It's so true that some people only think of themselves and not of the safety of everyone else, unfortunately they are all over the show. Hopefully this may give them something else to think of when next complaining of the smoke from back burning.

All I can say to all the firefighters. police, paramedics, emergency services and all volunteers - thanks a million.

thesmithy, you told it how it is. Thanks. It's an emotional time for so many, including those of us listening and watching the TV. The back of our acreage and the others in our street was rageing fire in 1994 and one of our sons was also in the RFS then. So frightening and we still talk about it at times and how close we came to disaster except for the Victorian brigades going straight through the fences to do whatever they had to. Lucky also to have had spearpoint water over the roof as well. Yes, it's certainly important to talk about it. We moved 14 years ago and fingers crossed now as we're on 80ac of mostly bush - plan in place.

Jacko, and everybody else who lives on large acerages, just make sure you keep a clear grassed area at least 50+m around the house and keep the grass mowed really short through fire season and get those tanks filled up and have CAM-lock valves on them for easy hookup to the firies.
Every little bit of foward planning helps with this type of disaster.
And don't be affraid to call your local rural brigade and talk to them about doing hazard burns during the winter season if it has been many many years since your property last had a fire through it.

Hey Joe,
Sorry to steel your thread
I am sure you meant to say STORZ fitting use nationally by all fire agencies across Australia.
As there is no male or female fittings just a coupling the same on both ends of hoses-pumps-branches
Directors etc

Come in 25 38 70mm for FRNSW
RURAL FIRE SERVICE call our 70mm a 65mm ours is measured outside there's is measured inside.

We can all interchange if needed..

Same with our sluice pumps we should all change to STORZ that way we can all swap or borrow fittings.
Cheers
Thesmithy

Each to their own I guess, I say cam because our takeup Hereford refilling via the onboard pump on our trucks uses cam.
But either one you choose, theatrical always have adaptors on board.

Established forests hold more moisture than cut ones or grassland. Plenty of established forests left standing after major fires.

The fires are not started in forests but in grassland which is what seems to have happened yet again. (Powerlines or arson)

The weather is extreme. Cancelled my gold prospecting trip down Southern NSW just because of the smoke in the area even though fires are not here. If you have any doubts don't go.

Too many people building houses without fire defense systems in native forests too.

Wouldn't blame greenies for this one. I'll blame them for Highbankers in Tas but not bush fires.

http://www.crikey.com.au/2010/08/03/tracking-the-black-saturday-bushfires-at-the-source-of-ignition/

Thanks for all your hard work smithy. You guys do a fantastic job in horrible circumstances and I have nothing but respect for all of you.

I hope you, and anyone else here who are in the vicinity of the fires are safe and well.

BrisJoe said:
Each to their own I guess, I say cam because our takeup Hereford refilling via the onboard pump on our trucks uses cam.
But either one you choose, theatrical always have adaptors on board.

So true joe,
As most appliances only carry onboard what the appliance is fitted with.
food for thought.
Turn up to farm house for property protect only to find that the farmer has Cam Lock on his water tanks.
You only have STORZ. Ok draft straight from top of water tank......some time lost.......house property safe

adaptors are on the way I am thinking.

some of the older shopping complexes still have BSP fittings on there Boosters and standpipes. We do carry adaptors for this.
cheers
Thesmithy

Well it still raining in Tassie :( haven't see the sun for that long I'm not sure what it like :D

If only we could send some of that sh!t weather over to NSW it maybe a little help :| for everyone concerned :cool:

Latest posts