Twin Bridges Daylesford panning results

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've had a few trips up to the Twin Bridges picnic spot just out of Daylesford and I've mostly picked out some crystals (tiny bit of gold as can be seen in the background there). I have no idea what any of these crystals are but they help me fill a vial much faster than the small amount of gold I've been getting ;) One cent coin in two of the pictures for scale. Images taken with phone, camera flash active.

1456584780_close_up_crystals_scale_2.jpg

1456584780_close_up_crystals_scale.jpg

1456584781_close_up_crystals.jpg

Heatho said:
Pretty sure the stones are Garnets Blennus. They can be quite common in some gold areas.

Thanks for that... I am under no delusion that they are worth anything (certainly not at the size I'm getting... though a few were a little bigger and easier to pick up). It's just nice to put a name to them. The main colours are reds and oranges with the odd clear or cloudy and some of the larger ones are a very dark... I think red. Either way it's nice to have something else to put in the little vials... will need a few more though to separate the brighter ones from the dark.

Gday blennus, I've been there a couple o times. The reds mostly garnet but the ones with twin points are most likely zircon ( the lighter colored ones like pinks and pale orange etc ). If your lucky you have a green or blue sapphire as well :)

Awesome, thanks for that AtomRat... I've got another shot here... I was looking at my vial again today and found this lovely clear one... I read that Daylesford used to produce a few diamonds but they got thrown away back in the day as they weren't the target... Might this be one? Even if it is it's likely too small to be of any real value... would just be kind of cool to be able to say I found a diamond ;)

Sorry it's not the clearest shot.

1456841340_gem_crystal_or_diamond.jpg

Could be a Diamond though most likely a Zircon, only sure way to find out is to use a Diamond Tester, you can buy them on ebay for about $30. I've had Zircons before that I suspected were Diamonds but they weren't after testing.

Heatho, thanks for the tip... might leave it for the moment in case I get some more... can't see $30 being a good investment for this one... I doubt it's big enough to be of any value regardless of what kind of stone it is ;) It all adds to the fun of panning though.

Latest posts