Turon river / Sofala area NSW camping + campground information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amature007

Brendan
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm Brendan, I'm pretty new to the prospecting scene and was wondering if i could get some advise on camping and prospecting the turon river?
Would I be able access the area with a two wheel drive vechicle, and if so where would be a Good place to start?
Is there much private land in the area or is there plenty of access for prospectors?
Thanks any help would be appreciated.

Hi Brendan , I myself have not been to Sofala Turon area , but what will help with land etc , is SIX maps - http://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/

There are overlays to show Lot Labels & Boundaries etc , keep in mind the creeks/rivers are on crown land, access is the key. A friend of mine goes camoing to Upper Turon often , but he is not a fossicker , so if you go into Sofala & head East toward Upper Turon,camping is avaialble on the river

Cheers Paul

Hi Brendan, mate were very new to this fossicking caper but not to camping and four wheel driving, you can access most of the area round Hill end with a car but you would need a 4B I think to try any of the river crossings were going up to the turon next week for a couple of days so I'll let you know what the river fords are like next week.

T & P

Thanks for the information, I'm hoping to get out there in the next few weeks myself.
I've been working around the crossing at oallen ford with limited success so was hoping to travel a little further to increase my chances.
If anyone has some information an the oallen ford area I'd really appreciate it?

Went for a run out to the Turon river 2 weeks ago, ran my high banker for two and a half days and came back with just over 1.7g. Was happy with the results but feel there is room for improvement. Need to make a few modifications to the equipment.

We are packing the kids in the car for a prospecting/4wding camping trip in mid january to sofala. We would like to have our first attempt at gold detecting and panning. Can anyone suggest a nice camp spot? Id like one away from the "bogans". Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.geocities.ws/kcsmithau/
http://www.australiancampsites.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=255:greens
We're all bogans out this way. Might be better off at La Perouse to avoid us :lol:
Just kidding - there are numerous spots, some have dunnies some without. Greens Point is one with toilets. There are other nice spots without like Wallaby Rocks & Coles Bridge. January would be fairly busy though at these spots so avoiding the bogans or crowds in general may be hard.

You could also try Turondale Bush Camp. They have onsite permanent campsites or tentsites but are currently closed for renovations etc. Would assume they will be ready for the school holiday season?

Thanks for that mate but when i say bogans i was referring to drunken morons doing doughnuts in there cars 10 feet from where my kids are sleeping in a tent and listening to their doomph doomph subwoofers till 5am.
La perouse does sound tempting (there might even be more gold on the beach than sofala has in the ground
Ill check out those places u mentioned and see where we decide to go. :D

Hi all which camp area in the turon area is best for panning and running the highbanker haven't been to the area before thinking of goin for a look in the new year

Green Point is OK, one long drop. It will be busy and unless there has been recent rain the river will be low. My last visit it was a bunch of small rather smelly dirty ponds. Check the river levels.
Same river but further, next to a bridge toward Hill End is a camp ground. You will need to get away from the crowd to hibank. 33 04 31 93 149 39 01 22 google earth.
good luck

Latest posts