Trying To Decide Between

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will admit that I am biased towards minelab as that is all I have used a know. I'm not from that area so I can comment on a particular machine for the area. In saying that the sdc is known as the vacume cleaner and it does a great job of finding small gold.

This is the problem with asking questions on forums, doesn't help you decide anymore as everyone has pro's and con's for both :D

I have got the 4500 for 3 days, think that will really help decide for me.
I don't mind digging holes, I often dig iron as I am a author and historian of Australian history, so I am also collecting stuff just for my own interest with no real value.

I did donate some things to creswick meusem as well they are planning a 'history of gold' display for January I think the lady said.

One thing I have noticed a lot when digging in gold fields is that on targets where I actually found gold, there is also usually a hole that looks like a ant hole.

When that whole is bigger like 1.5cm across the target is junk, but when the hole is small, like straw size, target is often gold.

Has anyone else come across these holes while digging?
I started taking photos to see if there is anything behind it.

Hey Northeast, thanks for your input, however, from all reports the Equinox does not find gold unless it is sitting on the surface and you can pick it off the ground.
I am talking about an scd2300 / 7000 discriminative detector and I know people on this forum have the knowledge but not the financial backing.
Just wondering if we al got together, yes that includes all the the non Paid up members, we could develop a truly Aussie tector for all terrains.
Just sayin
Mackka

Yes Maccka, a PI/ZVT combo would certainly be an awesome machine.

Don't discount the Equinox though. An SDC in mineralised ground would certainly beat an Equinox but the Eq has surprising depth and with it's multitude of settings there is actually ways to run it quiet in hot ground without killing sensitivity too much. I used mine in the Whipstick (Victoria GT) just a few weeks ago quite easily at a spot a mate had found quite a few pieces up to 6 grams. The Eq worked perfectly fine and found a couple of lead shot targets. It didn't find any gold but neither did the GPZ :(

A GPZ with discrimination capabilities is the great white hope. Apparently though the Z technology simply isn't and won't be capable of that :awful:

And you are right soulweaver - asking the question opens up a can of worms.

I always point people to here if they are are asking specifically about nugget detectors. Honest reviews all in the one spot by a knowledgeable bloke. Just be aware that all prices are US$ https://www.detectorprospector.com/magazine/steves-guides/steve-guide-gold-nugget-detectors/

Good luck :Y:

If I can get my hands on both, which I will have when I get my new machine as I already have the xterra 705, I will have a tinker, old man is a computer engineer and I have access to electronic engineers as well, be definitely something to explore!

Soulweaver said:
Is there much difference between the 4500 and 5000?
Just to confuse things more :(
I've never used a 5000 but from what I can tell and have discussed in the field with others is with the 4500 you'll use Enhanced timings pretty much all the time in Vic gold fields, with the 5000 you can run in Fine Gold timings which would be equivalent to somewhere between Enhanced and Normal on the 4500.
Fine Gold timings does give you the edge over running in Enhanced but the question would be is it worth the extra $1500 (roughly) ?

It probably depends if you get out detecting a few times each month or once every month or two (like me).

Other members which have owned and used both with have a better opinion on the differences but again it's probably a case of what they prefer as I've heard some say it is and some say it's not worth the extra dollars.

Probably the best way to find out would be to hire both on separate trips to compare, the more you can hire, research etc the happier you will be with your final decision :perfect:

Thanks Pete,
Mainly wanted to check that one wasn't for gold and the other for treasure like you get in some of the lower detectors.

Definitely be hiring before I decide.
Now that uni is done for the year I will be going roughly every 2wks for 2-4days at a time.

Once uni starts weather turns cold and wet so might do a day here or there if the weather is nice.

Latest posts