trust issues

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pick the spot,
Dig a hole then fill it in. or 2 or 3.
Take a photo of it,
Post on forum.
Set it as an example.
Job Done.
After about 2 months, Be prepared to repair the damage and pick up all the rubbish after you have let the cat out of the bag...

Metamorphic said:
Paydirt said:
Of the 3700 members lets just look at how many actually contribute and how many are just 'data mining' gawkers. I certainly dont mind sharing with those who are genuine and contribute, but not to every nonce who knows how to surf the web. Seems you only have to mention a place and it receives more loving. Would love to 'set up' a hot spot (totally void of Au), publicise it and see what attention it gets from said data miners

Hehe, your a hard man Paydirt.

I would be praying that I knew for certain it was barren.

Would choke myself if sitting on the next hill with the binoc's, intending to have a chuckle, only to see them digging up 6oz nuggets!

:eek:

This has got to be one of the most sensible posts going around. Mind you I have a rule I only share the stuff I have found or done the reasearch on never anything given to me I think its only fair. Kind of like copy right if you will.

gcause said:
Hi Yobskin,

I used to be the same with trust issues and keeping my spots to myself but then I met an old prospector who told me something
that changed my way of thinking.

Think about it this way. Put a pen to paper. Now start to draw a line.
The paper is a map of an area you are prospecting.
The pen is you. That small point on the end of the pen is the coil on your metal detector on the ground.
Now try going back and forward over the map as if you were chaining it.
Notice the gaps in the lines. You can never ever cover every bit of ground.
So now I don't bother hiding my spots I share them because I know its just the luck of the draw as to who finds the gold.
And when you hit a patch its much nicer to have someone to share the finds with.
Besides it ain't mine until I have dug it out of the ground so its anyones whose willing to put the time and effort in to find it.

By the way he still finds ounces while he is with people when others in the same area are finding very little.

So now I have a post up called Cairns Research where I share all my wanderings around the countryside and any research I do.

Lifes to short, its better to do something with friends old and new and get out in the bush whenever you can. :D

Cheers,

Grant

Haha, you think I'm hard, you need to check out my sixpack from 2 weeks fruitless digging. In all seriousness I see the same data mining across other forums and not just gold related. It peeves me off that the 'google generation' think that that solid research is asking someone else for a response or putting one line into a search engine. Instead of talking and gawking I like chewing and doing.

Paydirt said:
Haha, you think I'm hard, you need to check out my sixpack from 2 weeks fruitless digging. In all seriousness I see the same data mining across other forums and not just gold related. It peeves me off that the 'google generation' think that that solid research is asking someone else for a response or putting one line into a search engine. Instead of talking and gawking I like chewing and doing.

Couldn't agree more mate!

Online research though, has helped me land on some nice spots and saved me a lot of time.

After I get to the GPS Co-ords however, its all reading the ground and 'hands-on' recon work from there!

You can do too much of one, and not the other......A good balance is essential.

Armchair prospecting is easier and fun, though it wont get the gold into your backpack!

Lol......I would have had a six-pack by now too, but every time I get tired at the dig, I go back to camp and have a beer! ;)

Cheers mate!

Great posts.

Trust??? Out of town 'prospectors', are like seagulls. Flock in about once a year, upset the locals, make a lot of noise, shxt everywhere, eat all the chips and then fxxk off. Continually squawk 'where's all the gold', 'let's go jump a fence', 'we'll show these hicks' etc etc etc.

Oh - and you can add the forum 'guests' to that list as well.

loamer said:
Great posts.

Trust??? Out of town 'prospectors', are like seagulls. Flock in about once a year, upset the locals, make a lot of noise, shxt everywhere, eat all the chips and then fxxk off. Continually squawk 'where's all the gold', 'let's go jump a fence', 'we'll show these hicks' etc etc etc.

Oh - and you can the forum 'guests' to that list as well.

Not really sure exactly who that's aimed as I doubt 95% of members would live in the GT or similar areas interstate and I would hope you're not tarring everyone with that same brush but guess what you're saying is that the "locals" don't like anyone in their town spending their hard earned in the cafes, bakeries, supermarkets, caravan parks, motels etc etc. can only assume you lived in the GT area before living in Melb and moving back up there and that this makes you a "local".

That being said I DO have an issue with ferals (and some of them are probably "locals") who leave rubbish and leave holes, and not just detector holes but full blown 3 - 6 footers, unfilled/unattended, have also, with other non-local forum members come home with more rubbish than we left home with ...... also have an issue with "local" speedsters who get around on their dirt bikes chewing up the bush (doubt these would be anything other than locals as they seem to start up around the time that shoals get out).

When it comes to "trust" don't mind sharing details of finds from general locations in areas that everyone classifies as trashed, the information is in every book/map/forum/geovic etc etc but anything more specific I'd only share via PM or face to face with those I know (and who by the way also share likewise).

Enough ranting and raving, I'm here to enjoy myself not raise the blood pressure,
Cheers T.

Teemore said:
Not really sure exactly who that's aimed as I doubt 95% of members would live in the GT or similar areas interstate and I would hope you're not tarring everyone with that same brush but guess what you're saying is that the "locals" don't like anyone in their town spending their hard earned in the cafes, bakeries, supermarkets, caravan parks, motels etc etc. can only assume you lived in the GT area before living in Melb and moving back up there and that this makes you a "local".

Hi T.....I think loamer was referring to the 'Riff Raff' or Ferals you speak of, that really can give these small towns grief rather than contribute....as is the OP's question in this thread.
Who can you trust?

Teemore said:
That being said I DO have an issue with ferals (and some of them are probably "locals") who leave rubbish and leave holes, and not just detector holes but full blown 3 - 6 footers, unfilled/unattended, have also, with other non-local forum members come home with more rubbish than we left home with ...... also have an issue with "local" speedsters who get around on their dirt bikes chewing up the bush (doubt these would be anything other than locals as they seem to start up around the time that shoals get out).

I would agree with the rubbish left behind, really hate to see that but a Modern day prospector, or a bloke on a YZ450F hardly make a dent compared to what the old timers did to the bush, im sure you have seen it......dont stress too much, the bush has a knack of regenerating and healing itself.

Teemore said:
When it comes to "trust" don't mind sharing details of finds from general locations in areas that everyone classifies as trashed, the information is in every book/map/forum/geovic etc etc but anything more specific I'd only share via PM or face to face with those I know (and who by the way also share likewise).

A good policy to have. ;)

Regards

loamer said:
Great posts.

Oh - and you can add the forum 'guests' to that list as well.
Hahaaaa, i was up at Nundle a couple of weeks ago for a few days, found a tiny amount of gold, s##t in quite a few spots, nearly tore me pants on jumping a fence (to have a s##t) and ate some chips at the pub, with quite a few frothy's, oh, and camped out, bloody outa towners, got no idea :lol: :lol:

You will learn lot more by hanging around people with more knowledge than you rather than just reading the forum. I have found few mates through this forum and would not hesitate to share with them locations and knowledge as they shared with me. I have in turn taken few new guys out to show them how to pan and where. It's great to see their face when they get few specks in their pan for the first time. It was always in very well known areas everyone knows about.
However this is a public forum and you have to respect locations others have showed you and I would not post them on the forum out of curtesy to my mates and to prevent every man and his dog to trash them.
The great thing is that you will get lots of advise here, all you have to do is ask even without telling everyone the excact spot. We are all interested to learn from each other. :)

Lets face it..no one is going to give up their fave spot with people they don't know. I have been PM'd to ask about spots and I have happily old people where I go. I don't have a problem letting individuals know but as I have grown an affection for the bush there I would hate it to get smashed and ruined.

New chums, including me, need guidance and help but should not expect everything to be handed to us on a platter. Trust must be earnt. Being a contributing member of this forum is a good place to start.

Cheers

The pen and paper theory sounds good for giving us hope of finding something in thrashed out ground. When you find an undiscovered patch of gold it's another story. Place hundreds of random dots on the paper and assume these are nuggets.. Let the cat out of the bag and those dots will quickly represent every man and his horse scouring that patch before you even have chance to connect the dots. As far as being greedy goes, not everyone prospects for a hobby! There are people who do this for a living and that patch of gold they've worked so hard to find puts food on the table. I'll bet few people would be happy to give up their day job if it meant they could no longer make ends meet. I don't think keeping a patch to yourself is any different. Just my 2c

The prospector I mentioned who told me the pen and paper theory does it for a living and to put food on the table. He's a top bloke. He has told everyone he knows his best spots for finding gold. He has made over 30 ounces in the last three months. The people who have gone to his best spots have come away with some small nuggets but not many. You see he puts the time and effort in, he is out there every day of the year without fail. The others don't so they give up and they just wonder how he does it.

Heres the rules I apply to myself when fossicking and they have worked for me:
1. Family first above all others;
2. Respect others;
3. Respect the land. Treat it as your own, don't sh%t in your own backyard;
4. Know and respect the law;
5. If someone tells me a spot I won't share it as a matter of respect for that person and the trust they showed in telling me;
6. If someone tells me a spot I don't go there unless invited and even if they tell me that I am free to do so I still only go if that person is with me;
7. To each his own, respect that;
8. Life is too short so fit as much into it as I can with as many people as I can;
9. Trust must be earned, generally people wont go out of their way to harm you so trust people until they give you a reason not too, once broken cut your losses;
10. If someone tells me the ground has been flogged you'll never find anything there, then I go for it as it means people have found gold there and there will be more to be had. Over the years I have seen this one come true time and time again. So called flogged ground producing great sized nuggets. Its the pen and paper theory being proven;
11. Always fill my holes, and if I find others holes I fill them also;
12. Always take my rubbish home. If I find rubbish in the bush I take that home too and dispose of it properly.
13. See rule 2

the thing is that some people are in it for just the money or for just the hobby or to feed a family or all of the above i my self are in it for a hobby and a part time job working my own mine that i did manny years researching in 2011 and found a good spot to mine and kept it quite since then and only recently started to take samples to see if it was going to be worth while mining it small scale with a friend that i only have know for a few weeks now im puting a lot of trust in this new friend of mine not to just go there and claim it as hes own find or mine it not that he will do anyway but for me trust is a big thing cos i have had m8s in the past that ive know for at least 2 years burn me on spots ive found 1 of my m8s friends even wanted to do some drilling at a spot cos his m8 my m8 found a 22gram gold specie in a hand size peace of quartz these days i take anyone i dont know well to spots ive found but ones i dont care too much about cos they are eather well known or dont have much there anyway then if i feel that i can trust them with ritcher and verry remote areas that ive done my own field work and sampleing on then if they do the right thing by me and respect that i dont want the info and places put on the net they can then go back to the same area where ive done all the tests and sampleing and hard work traceing the gold and sampleing it to find there own gold and it wont bother me at all but it takes me more than 2 years now to trust anyone with great yeilding spots like this simply because of past exprinces i would love to share more on the location of mines and ritch reefs that ive found but 2 things are stoping me 1 people going there and trying to remine the place and haveing the whole mine cave in on them cos they donnt know where the foult runs in the mine and weak spots and 2 the word of mouth can make 100s go there and try and dig it to sh ts and then leave big holes in the land and creeks the best thing to do is keep your hard earned and researched spots to yourself untill you have gone there enoght times detecting or sluiceing to say to yourself yeah i think ive found all of the things i wanted to find and see and then just move to another spot and let someone elce have a go i like shareing places and info but only to friends i can realy trust and being so young in the gold game i sometimes get taken advantage of cos i have 7 years of gold/geology/location knowlage and places over vic

Everybody needs to be comfortable with what they choose, so if you have even the slightest reservation about sharing a spot, don't.

This thread has had me laughing for ages at some of the responses. I can see Audley in the Royal National Park being frantically dug into a moonscape when it's announced that it's a 20 gram a day spot.
The forum is invaluable for all sorts of information not just where to dig. The few forum members that I have met have been great people.
Probably spent 2500 in sluices etc and have successfully recovered about 3 grams, love going to Hill End and Oallen, just being there is gold. Had the forum been in existence when I started it would have reduced my mistakes.

I wish the yobbos would disappear with their bikes, beer, poo tickets, rubbish & guns. There is good responsible use for all of those but some choose stupidity.
My personal hates, rubbish left behind, poo tickets everywhere, big unfilled holes and disrespect of others property & rights.

Departing for the weekend meetup today & expecting to have great prospecting days, meet good people, learn a heap and get a dozen specs in the pan. Even without specs there will be gold. It is fabulous that people are prepared to organise a meetup and share what they have.

I have a personal goal of recovering enough yellow on a trip to cover the cost of fuel to get there.

Really looking forwards to meeting you mate.
I will be there Friday afternoon. Funny thing is I have to go up to Moruya today to do a job. :)
One thing I will state.
I live on trust and will never burn anyone.
Period.

slowflow said:
Everybody needs to be comfortable with what they choose, so if you have even the slightest reservation about sharing a spot, don't.

This thread has had me laughing for ages at some of the responses. I can see Audley in the Royal National Park being frantically dug into a moonscape when it's announced that it's a 20 gram a day spot.
The forum is invaluable for all sorts of information not just where to dig. The few forum members that I have met have been great people.
Probably spent 2500 in sluices etc and have successfully recovered about 3 grams, love going to Hill End and Oallen, just being there is gold. Had the forum been in existence when I started it would have reduced my mistakes.

I wish the yobbos would disappear with their bikes, beer, poo tickets, rubbish & guns. There is good responsible use for all of those but some choose stupidity.
My personal hates, rubbish left behind, poo tickets everywhere, big unfilled holes and disrespect of others property & rights.

Departing for the weekend meetup today & expecting to have great prospecting days, meet good people, learn a heap and get a dozen specs in the pan. Even without specs there will be gold. It is fabulous that people are prepared to organise a meetup and share what they have.

I have a personal goal of recovering enough yellow on a trip to cover the cost of fuel to get there.

Latest posts