trust issues

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would like to discuss a couple of spots i have found for future fossicking but a little reluctant to tell anyone where...as of the nature of our hobby.
So how would i go about it ?

It's a case of what you would like to know. You can talk about an area without telling the person were it is. Take photos of the area without putting in any landmarks and take rock and soil samples.
:) Mick

Depends on the type of prospecting you plan on doing, type of soils/rocks, general location, non specific, some close up pics, be descriptive in your questions just not in your location :)
Ive always been meaning to ask Nugget if we could have something like this in the members only section, do you think that maybe possible Mr Nugget? :D

Hi Yobskin,

I used to be the same with trust issues and keeping my spots to myself but then I met an old prospector who told me something
that changed my way of thinking.

Think about it this way. Put a pen to paper. Now start to draw a line.
The paper is a map of an area you are prospecting.
The pen is you. That small point on the end of the pen is the coil on your metal detector on the ground.
Now try going back and forward over the map as if you were chaining it.
Notice the gaps in the lines. You can never ever cover every bit of ground.
So now I don't bother hiding my spots I share them because I know its just the luck of the draw as to who finds the gold.
And when you hit a patch its much nicer to have someone to share the finds with.
Besides it ain't mine until I have dug it out of the ground so its anyones whose willing to put the time and effort in to find it.

By the way he still finds ounces while he is with people when others in the same area are finding very little.

So now I have a post up called Cairns Research where I share all my wanderings around the countryside and any research I do.

Lifes to short, its better to do something with friends old and new and get out in the bush whenever you can. :D

Cheers,

Grant

gcause said:
Hi Yobskin,

I used to be the same with trust issues and keeping my spots to myself but then I met an old prospector who told me something
that changed my way of thinking.

Think about it this way. Put a pen to paper. Now start to draw a line.
The paper is a map of an area you are prospecting.
The pen is you. That small point on the end of the pen is the coil on your metal detector on the ground.
Now try going back and forward over the map as if you were chaining it.
Notice the gaps in the lines. You can never ever cover every bit of ground.
So now I don't bother hiding my spots I share them because I know its just the luck of the draw as to who finds the gold.
And when you hit a patch its much nicer to have someone to share the finds with.
Besides it ain't mine until I have dug it out of the ground so its anyones whose willing to put the time and effort in to find it.

By the way he still finds ounces while he is with people when others in the same area are finding very little.

So now I have a post up called Cairns Research where I share all my wanderings around the countryside and any research I do.

Lifes to short, its better to do something with friends old and new and get out in the bush whenever you can. :D

Cheers,

Grant

Great post Grant. :)

yobskin said:
I would like to discuss a couple of spots i have found for future fossicking but a little reluctant to tell anyone where...as of the nature of our hobby.

"GREED" is for the selfish...I prefer "GIVE and HELP"...thats what makes me happy! :cool:

I think about it slightly differently, I think you have two choices, either share and discuss and risk it, or spend time finding and processing (whether detecting or washing) and learning from your own experiences. Before the Internet there was only one option, if you are really concerned find someone on here that has the experience to discuss your situation via pm and go from there. There are very few spots I haven't shared with at least one member of the forum I've found or worked but I personally wouldn't just put up where it is for everyone unless your prepared for someone else to come dig and detect.

yobskin said:
You can still discuss spots without giving away the exact location. Just use a general area, give the characteristics of the area, type of gold being found - alluvial/elluvial/rough/water worn, type of fossicking/prospecting - panning/sluice/detector etc. & I'm sure people will still be able to help you + give you some ideas.
While I agree in essence with sharing locations, particularly public areas, I wouldn't share private properties at all (unless they were "pay to dig" type properties).
Public areas I will/have share/shared but not openly on the forum - via PM, email etc. This has nothing to do with someone else "getting the gold" but everything to do with how I am seeing some local spots being left. Large unfilled holes, junk discarded next to said holes & not removed, reburied junk, general litter left behind.
This isn't to say I don't trust or think its forum members doing it as I think the majority would be fine but with 3700+ members there's bound to be some bad apples. The biggest thing is that the forum is open for anyone, not just members, to view the info & take advantage of. Some people would see your spot on here & have no moral problem with going to it to rape everything they could from it without any concern for how they leave it afterwards.

Goldtarget said:
I think about it slightly differently, I think you have two choices, either share and discuss and risk it, or spend time finding and processing (whether detecting or washing) and learning from your own experiences. Before the Internet there was only one option, if you are really concerned find someone on here that has the experience to discuss your situation via pm and go from there. There are very few spots I haven't shared with at least one member of the forum I've found or worked but I personally wouldn't just put up where it is for everyone unless your prepared for someone else to come dig and detect.

Dont open up good ground until you have the time to be there everyday and take the best of it. Then you dont have to worry bout getting hole jumped from what you have shared!

Of the 3700 members lets just look at how many actually contribute and how many are just 'data mining' gawkers. I certainly dont mind sharing with those who are genuine and contribute, but not to every nonce who knows how to surf the web. Seems you only have to mention a place and it receives more loving. Would love to 'set up' a hot spot (totally void of Au), publicise it and see what attention it gets from said data miners

20xwater said:
Goldtarget said:

Dont open up good ground until you have the time to be there everyday and take the best of it. Then you dont have to worry bout getting hole jumped from what you have shared!

I agree Goldtarget, maybe i'm a bit selfish but if i were to find a good spot i would definately get its GPS coordinates take a few photos and if i wasn't ready to spend a good bit of time in that spot, i would leave and organise another visit.
If you're going to spend the time finding it then give yorself a chance to enjoy it whichever way you want. :cool:

mbasko said:
yobskin said:
You can still discuss spots without giving away the exact location. Just use a general area, give the characteristics of the area, type of gold being found - alluvial/elluvial/rough/water worn, type of fossicking/prospecting - panning/sluice/detector etc. & I'm sure people will still be able to help you + give you some ideas.
While I agree in essence with sharing locations, particularly public areas, I wouldn't share private properties at all (unless they were "pay to dig" type properties).
Public areas I will/have share/shared but not openly on the forum - via PM, email etc. This has nothing to do with someone else "getting the gold" but everything to do with how I am seeing some local spots being left. Large unfilled holes, junk discarded next to said holes & not removed, reburied junk, general litter left behind.
This isn't to say I don't trust or think its forum members doing it as I think the majority would be fine but with 3700+ members there's bound to be some bad apples. The biggest thing is that the forum is open for anyone, not just members, to view the info & take advantage of. Some people would see your spot on here & have no moral problem with going to it to rape everything they could from it without any concern for how they leave it afterwards.

What mbasko said.

Nice... thnx for feed back guys apreciated.

I have 3 gold bearing creeks that all join to 1.
The only access is through 100+ year farm i am waiting on permission today.
I will wait b4 i post anything...go find some colour and share it with ya.

Fingers x i will be there 2moro to investigate.

I see it this way. There is city folk, there is country folk and there is folk that understand both country and city ways. And no amount of posts, explaining and coaching will make some city folk to understand and to behave as country people . There are number of members I would trust to discus location of my finds. But in general forum, no. Although I never met them, from their posts I'm pretty sure that I know what kind of person they are. Those are people who makes this forum successful. Unfortunately they represent only small number of current members. Without their contribution the forum would be endless string of smileis , good on you, keep diggings and so on. I do understand that not everyone is a great writer, but I'm a Wog with bad English grammar ( in my time New Zelanders were Kiwis, Englishmen were Poms and rest of us migrants were Wogs), and regardless of clumsy English i try to contribute to this forum in the matters I'm confident that i know what I'm talking about.
Karl

Nothing wrong with your grammer professor. :) better than some of us here ozystraliens.
oh yeh, keep on digging, good on ya, yada yada .................................

Paydirt said:
Of the 3700 members lets just look at how many actually contribute and how many are just 'data mining' gawkers. I certainly dont mind sharing with those who are genuine and contribute, but not to every nonce who knows how to surf the web. Seems you only have to mention a place and it receives more loving. Would love to 'set up' a hot spot (totally void of Au), publicise it and see what attention it gets from said data miners

Hehe, your a hard man Paydirt.

I would be praying that I knew for certain it was barren.

Would choke myself if sitting on the next hill with the binoc's, intending to have a chuckle, only to see them digging up 6oz nuggets!

:eek:

Latest posts