New to fossicking and gem hunting in SEQ

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have had a love of crystals my whole life and one thing I want to do more than anything else is to find my very own gems and crystals. It isn't about the value - it is about the thrill of the find and discovering my very own treasure. I am based on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland. Can anyone recommend any simple places to start out looking? I would love to find quartz varieties like amethyst and smoky quartz but I am also interested in things like Topaz or sapphires etc. I read that you can find carnelian and chalcedony at the beach at Redcliffe which isn't too far from me but I don't have the first clue where to begin. Is it on the beach or under the sand or in the water....? There was no description - just a map I found on a website marking points where they are found - they look to be in the water though? It seems to good to be true to find gems that easily. So anyway I'm far from the expert on anything prospecting but I am so keen to learn so any tips or advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Especially simple places I can start that aren't too far from home and don't require too much knowledge or special tools. I am dreaming of my first find whatever it may be and I am itching to begin! My favourite gemstone is aquamarine but I do not think there are any places I can find it in qld? I'm not interested in gold because gold is just gold to me. I love crystals with interesting formations and brilliant colours. To me they are so fascinating! Each one is so unique and special and I just know there are some out there calling my name and just waiting for me to find them! So please don't scroll on by, leave a message for me with your tips and advice for which I will be most grateful! This is a real dream of mine and I cannot wait for it to come true! Thank you so much :)

We are also on the Sunny Coast and to frequent trips to Nth Nsw
Have a look around Stanthorpe and the New England region that whole area is worth a life time of prospecting and digging
Good luck
Have heard of thunder eggs out eumundi way

There is a rock shop on the left hand side, out in the countryside as you are travelling north before you get into Gympie,... it's definitely worth a look in, and the owners are the rockhounds themselves, they also get given collections from families as well over the years that have boosted the overall vastness of the entire viewing experience.
You can buy rocks, or even the whole shop and all if you have a big budget going on, as they are starting to get on in age and are looking to retirement one day,... so like all things, worth seeing soon just incase one day it's just no longer there. :)

What you wanting to do with them when you find some Dc,... faceting or collecting etc ?
What sized crystals are you looking to find ? :)

Mt Tamborine has thundereggs, quarts and fossilised wood. Daisy hill near Logan has quarts, gold dust, pink quarts, and some fossils, creeks near enoggera and Mt cootha have some quarts, fossilised wood and gold dust, Redcliffe and Wynnum have chalcedony.

I live in Redcliffe and have recently starting collecting the beauties Redcliffe beach has to offer super easy to find just pick up any rock thats orange(there are a lot of shells the same colour)of course best to go at low tide and walk towards the sun, look where the sea levels has dropped and left the shells behind or just in the waters edge.i have only found quiet small peices but bigger pieces can and have been found? Ill have to get some pictures tomorrow and share them.

Interested to find this spot too as the missus wants to find some stones , I think it is around Scarborough isn't it ? Gazza

The base of the cliffs at scarbrough...20mtrs south of Warde st theres some stairs leading down the cliff...no sand.. all rocks pebbles ect..go at low tide though as high tide you will be 5 foot under water. :Y:

Latest posts