Science, Prospecting, Lapidary and Minerals - Part 1

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As I read and learn more and more each day it becomes easier to see how things in the world are created, modified and evolve through science. I will like to share with you all the information I gather and have concocted into some useful tips for prospecting, minerals and how science can help. You may find you already do some of this yourselves either intentionally or not at times. Ill explain in a few posts some interesting facts about certain points of interests that I think some of you would like to know as well.

Some may have no interest in this information at all and may find it useless to them as there may be 'easier' options to what I explain.

Do not attempt any of my topics relating chemicals unless you really know what you are doing. I am not liable for acid burns or miss use of chemicals or any hazard you choose to play with. I am happy to help those who have some experience with chemical safety and use.

We are all out there in our wonderful country surrounded by minerals and wealth just as our anthem mentions with pride, so why chase only one of those minerals? I seek not only metal as gold, but iron, alluminium, copper, bismuth, tin, antimony.. etc and constanly look for any source or signs of a mineral I can use. Why? They also have a purpose and ill start straight off into it by explaining what I've found out about:

Tin

Atomic number: 50
Atomic weight: 118.710
Symbol: Sn ( from Greek Stannum )

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin
-------------------------

As we know tin is found in our heavies very commonly by anyone who ends up with 'black sand' in thier concentrates. Most of us would get the annoyance of it all but there are some useful minerals and metals in there which can be put to use, so why toss them. You may be wondering why I am starting with Tin as its not very common as a metal these days and only used as a protection on some metals as it cannot corrode in water, air or acid. But it does have a use in a few ways for prospecting and lapidary.

First I will discuss Stannous Chloride which is Tin (II) and hydrocholric acid in a solution which can be used to identify gold. Yes identify gold. If you have read or watched the gold extraction and refining videos on utube you will see they use Stannous Chloride or SnCl4 we will call it from now, is used to tell if any gold is left present in a solution after extracting as much as possible. If there is gold present, SnCl4 turns dark or black and the process needs to be refined again to make sure all the gold has been extracted.

SnCl4 therefore should theoretically be used to identify if a rock contains gold in it by dabbing it with a cotton bud. Pretty fast identification rather than crushing and panning. I havnt tested this theory yet. Where can I get SnCl4 or how can I make it? Back to the black sand we go! It contains a hell of a lot of impurities in there not only just tin. It needs to be refined by chemical and magnetic separation. Ill only discuss that further if requested, but once extracted, the Tin Oxide - Cassiterite, goes through a high temp furnace at 1200c with carbon to create Tin the element in its natural form. SnCl4 is made via putting Tin into Hydrochloric Acid under boiling temps to extract the tin into the solution grabbing onto the chlorine atoms.

Tin has a big use in lapidary as a polish being used as Tin Oxide and can be made by heating concentrated nitric acid and adding Tin metal slowly to the solution which causes a violent exothermic reaction to create Tin Oxide powder. Highly not recommended for anyone to attempt without a proper laboratory setup and splash screen with an exhaust for ventilation.

Tin is just one of the many items we tend to toss away and the process is not a hard one to create it all at home and put to use some of those lost minerals!

Ill continue more only if forum users are interested, please let me know.

An interesting read mate, great stuff.
I could be wrong, but there may be a problem with the gold swab test though. I believe Stannous Chloride will react and turn purple in the presence of gold salts, not gold itself?

shivan said:
An interesting read mate, great stuff.
I could be wrong, but there may be a problem with the gold swab test though. I believe Stannous Chloride will react and turn purple in the presence of gold salts, not gold itself?
Not absolutely positive on it my self but what your saying makes complete sense and may need the colloidal solution of gold to pick it up. Only way to test is to make some and try it. It will take me a little while, all the chem stuff is packed up at the moment

I guess though with a little kit, you can crush a little sample, dissolve it aqua regia in a little bottle and perform the test out on the field. It would still take a minute to do and better than carting dirt to a machine or machine to the dirt

100 views to 5 replies, I need more to be interested and leave comments if my time is to be put into this information at least. This was just an intro snippet and I have a fair bit of info to share on how to use minerals and finds for use in prospecting and lapidary.

AR,.. it will go down in forum history mate,...all information and views(personal and otherwise) have their magic epiphany moments for readers,...either in the now moment or surfacing later in those Ahhhh moments of increased clarity during times of frustrated understandings and musings,... long after we leave them,..... I say do it for them all,...the posters,.. the likers,... and the silent visitors that can't make even a like comment.
Cheers
Silver. :)

silver said:
AR,.. it will go down in forum history mate,...all information and views(personal and otherwise) have their magic epiphany moments for readers,...either in the now moment or surfacing later in those Ahhhh moments of increased clarity during times of frustrated understandings and musings,... long after we leave them,..... I say do it for them all,...the posters,.. the likers,... and the silent visitors that can't make even a like comment.
Cheers
Silver. :)
Lol cheers mate, ill get to it then and do some posting over the next couple of weeks about some of the subjects :) Up next is Fluorite and its uses.

Great reading maybe a bit above my level but to be good at something we need to understand its ingredients and what it is we are tossing back. I would follow this thread religiously if you are willing to continue. :)

aussiefarmer said:
Great reading maybe a bit above my level but to be good at something we need to understand its ingredients and what it is we are tossing back. I would follow this thread religiously if you are willing to continue. :)
I am massively summarising nearly to the point of miss information but trying to post it where users who have no understanding will start to gain an understanding in it all.

Ill try to keep it as easy to read as possible for someone with a small amount of knowledge on it all. I certainly am no expert at all and am merely sharing my thoughts ideas and suggestions I feel I could use myself and would like to share that info as its kind of interesting, but not to everyone.

Feel free to ask questions but as the posts go on, your questions should answer themselves by the way Ill attempt to post them.

Yep I understood what I read mate pretty good layman's terms, its the use of acids and furnaces which I don't think I will take up , time is short and I like to dig :) I hope you continue , I understand every area is different with different indicators but I think your information will shine some light on the heavies in my pan.

Latest posts