Tossing up on which detector - Nokta Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Anfibio or Garrett AT Pro A

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking at buying my first detector very soon & am tossing up between the following:

1) Nokta Makro Gold Racer

2) Nokta Anfibio 19

3) Garrett AT Pro

As some of you have most likely used one of these, I would be interested to take on board your recommendations & pros/cons. Target area will be Golden Triangle.

id be looking at a Qed for the triangle, plenty use them over there, pretty much all coin machines you have listed sorry.

fwdoz said:
Looking at buying my first detector very soon & am tossing up between the following:

2) Nokta Anfibio 19

3) Garrett AT Pro

As some of you have most likely used one of these, I would be interested to take on board your recommendations & pros/cons. Target area will be Golden Triangle.

Of those three, only #1 - the Gold Racer - is worth considering at all in that ground. The Garrett would be useless - it's a coin/jewellery/relic discriminator and couldn't cope with the high mineralisation.

Thanks for the replies folks.

The Gold Racer had some nice user reviews here in Australia & I know of a couple of fellas who have used them & found the shiny stuff. Might be the one to kick me off without investing too much until I feel my way & get some experience. The only other option may be being lucky enough to find something better being sold 2nd hand.

fwdoz said:

2) Nokta Anfibio 19

3) Garrett AT Pro

I live smack bang in Central Vic. Googled those, will not lie. Apart from the AT which I know of. Im assuming that the mention of all are for Gold in Vic now after my looks. Im gonna be 100% honest here. None if for gold these days. Take up another hobby unless you are happy to if you are lucky to find in the entire time you use it the cost of your batteries.
Have I used them. No. Have i used vlfs and would I bother to for gold in Vic after my 30 yrs looking to do so now? Yep started on a Garett Hog VLf. Use a Vlf now?
No, id prefer to go coin hunting or fishing. Even though my main passion is gold. Spend that bit more like the above post on a PI. Vlfs are just about done in CV for gold.

Best and easiest machine to start with for gold is the sdc2300 you wont regret it and it will find you gold just need to put the coil over it cheers Muk.

The SDC2300 is way out of my price range unfortunately. As for the Monster, that may be an option.

Still keeping an eye on the classifieds to see if anything more substantial pops up.

RM Outback said:
G'day fwdoz welcome to PA, have a look at the Equinox 800 for gold and relics or the Equinox 600 for relics only.

Thanks RM. Equinox 800 is one still under consideration. Just noticed user reviews were far more prominent for the Monster than the 800.

if you want to chase gold with a budget detector you will be blowing the small amount of money and get nowhere vlf was good in its day you need a pi machine the sdc2300 is easy to use and will find gold if you put the coil over it we see to many people buy budget machines and just waste time you should buy some fishing gear and go fishing you will have more fun

savage bitter said:
if you want to chase gold with a budget detector you will be blowing the small amount of money and get nowhere vlf was good in its day you need a pi machine the sdc2300 is easy to use and will find gold if you put the coil over it we see to many people buy budget machines and just waste time you should buy some fishing gear and go fishing you will have more fun

Except that there are any number of PA members who have been successful with Gold Monsters and Equinox 800s, many of them finding nuggets quite regularly. And since both machines are easy to resell at a good price, their happy owners are far from "blowing the small amount of money" as you claim.

$3,5000+ for a used SDC2300 is a lot of money for most people, especially in the present economy; even at today's gold price it will take a long time to repay that investment from the common sub-gram gold.

Hi fwdoz, a PI detector will handle the mineralized grounds of Vic better but if you are willing to stick to the areas like mullock heaps and pipe clay then a vlf will find smaller gold than a PI, if you are happy finding tiny bits of gold then a Gold Monster 1000 is hard to beat for price and ease of use but you need to stick to the right kind of ground.
The GM1000 will also find bigger bits if they are there.
This would be my recommendation and choice of detector if I didn't already have one and be finding gold very regularly with it in the Vic gold fields.

Check out Lockie's channel and you be the judge on how these GM's work in Vic.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL9662DffEX_qdJyYtAOekw

You just need to stick to the right grounds and they will find gold no problem :Y:

savage bitter said:

Not sure about this. Each to their own opinions of course, but the GM1000 finds gold in the GT every day I would say, so to discount it so readily would be a big mistake. You do need to get used to the pretty much constant ground noise in some areas though.

If you have the $$$$ then new version model sdc easy then even more $$$$ then the gpz 7000. Depends on how deep you want to dig. A few scapes for the target then the sdc if you like digging a metre deep then the gpz. I steer clear of the gpx models they are both fiddly and over rated imo. Stick to the standard coils too evos and elites more so evos are grossly over rated again imo.

Minelab are the best brand. Have not used the other brands always its Minelab for me.

Latest posts