Today I MADE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My old coffee table & a piece of glass I scored somewhere
1534063481_249f44e0-3476-4c0d-b360-0c84ec37a4b3.jpg
the planning process.
1534063540_b640cc44-a192-4e54-a7d7-41ffedc94030.jpg

1534063540_96812c5d-9616-4baa-9ed9-4d7db27c56ea.jpg
progress.
1534063588_02ae56e3-c11e-430e-a92b-fbf6d9648d06.jpg
not finished but some idea of how it should look. I plan to line it with a bright coloured cloth $ paint the table black. Cheers.

So, after reading a book and watching a few YouTube videos, I went into the city and got myself a few bits and pieces to start the next phase of creating something out of my finds.

Todays build exercise was to shape a silver ring and learn how to solder it. The next phase will be to create a setting for one of my stones and the third phase, once a level of incompetence is achieved to satisfy my ego, will be to alloy and shape my gold into a ring for one of my cut stones.

I discovered my new pliers had a casting fault and I snapped the darn things before I had shaped the metal. :mad: not to be beaten, I persisted with some other ones that created a few marks, but as this is a learning exercise, I now know the virtues of being gentle as aggressively worked metal requires mark removal.

Quite happy with a torrent of mistakes and lessons learnt and the Mrs likes the outcome. She ended up with two as I undersized the first one.

I started to make a bezel for the green sapphire but ended up with a blob of silver instead. :rolleyes:

To my surprise, once I had finished the rings for size and shared my plans, I was told I need to mount the bloody big topaz bling stone {)

:rolleyes: Might need to use the first ring for part of bezel mounting :eek: think I have a massive construction job on my hands with that one. But a man has to do what a man has to do. O:)

1534158454_7380604f-3f47-4559-8d7c-f3a544f8d30c.jpg

That's a really great start Wally, good to see you're making excellent use of the free time. Saw Barney the other day too and got one of my small sapphs back that he cut for me, going to get a few set in platinum before the end of the year. He said to say g'day too.

Should catch up for a detect, I'm heading back to the spot where I got that New Guinea coin today.

not actually today but over the last few days in 5 and 10 minute installments when i could nip into the workshop between other stuff got it finished this arvo while roasting batches of coffee beans. made myself another digging tool , all stainless job .made it because i like the look of the one troy uses in the "cointector" you tube channel .
might put some serrations on the sides of the blade dont know yet .
johno.
1534410348_20180816_190004_resized.jpg

Mackka said:
Noticed at Bunnings today a hatchet and small shovel pack for $20.00 actually $19.95 an absolute bargain. I should have bought the lot , shipped it to China and made a fortune :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Honestly it didn't look too shonky
Mackka
Is this it Mackka? Doesn't look too bad,great for someone just getting into detecting and not wanting to spend too much.Great to throw into a backpack with a little sluice if hiking into a creek somewhere for a bit of alluvial.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/saxon-hatchet-utility-shovel-set_p3360970

Latest posts