Today I MADE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silver I'll have a crack at most things, but even I am not silly enough to splash acid/alkali and molten metal around(any more) :p Years ago we used to wash out then break up car batteries- get a fire going-trample most of the corrugations out of a bit of roofing iron, bend one end into a v-funnel. Place the iron over the fire and throw the battery plates on. Rake them around with a garden rake and catch the lead in an old saucepan.
OH&S, Dept. of Environment, etc., etc., etc... would have a field day with that one!! :)

Sa_bogan said:
all good - i will most likely send some stuff i have to humbolt to refine - a big mix of silver items
999.9 Ag would be too soft to do anything with bar drool over it,.... but drooling like that would make you feel real good,.... I'm wondering what the sniff of pure silver (old stuff) would smell like. :eek: :D

1454748904_100_0694.jpg
1454748944_camera_450.jpg

Still need a lick of paint, a handgrip and some wingnuts and bolts tomorrow. Extra bracket on shaft for hipstick.
1454748988_camera_448.jpg
1454749032_camera_451.jpg
1454749060_camera_452.jpg

Not quite as neat as an sdc or gpz, but compact all the same. :)
1454749665_camera_455.jpg

I decided not to post the 6 inch flat belt pulley I dug up out the back yard in the finds section, or the broken off brass screws. 8.(

Not sure if this idea is widely used - a detecting mate showed me his.

Inserted (drilled and glued) Neodymium magnets (http://aussiemagnets.com.au/magnets/Rare-Earth-(Neodymium)/) into the ends of my picks to test the ground and find that piece of metal in the scoop. Saves a lot of time (if getting many trashy targets).

They have even pick up some heavy ironstone rocks! They're Ni plated so are corrosion resistant and clean with a wipe of the thumb.

1454805658_pick_magnets-b.jpg

And for the real trashy areas you can make one of these-
1454821608_camera_421.jpg

Bigwave that mob are a lot better on their prices than any others in Oz I've come across. :)

Yeah farma they're pretty good. Unless I'm scratching around in real solid stuff I have that in my belt loop. A few years ago I acquired 2 6x4 inch railway signal magnets, about an inch thick. I made the mistake of bringing them together while holding them in front of my gut-which got between them- I ended up with a six inch blood blister! 8.(

If you were handy with a welder and a plasma cutter, you could make a rake like that with a point one end and a hoe the other-out of a bit thicker gauge metal ?????? The rake would have to be a bit deeper to accommodate the hoe width. Maybe just a prospecting pick with teeth down one side? Food for thought..........

Hey Tim, I like your all-in-one rake/magnet. I made a separate "magnet rake" for iron sweeping after raking (the trailing stabiliser is hinged to enable fold-up), but that's just 2 things to carry around. I think I'll steal your idea ;)

1454917046_magnetic_rake.jpg

Got the Sniffer painted and the speaker wire coil(in front of Sniffer) finished. It was made for the Surf, but works better on the Sniffer-good depth and sensitivity for its size.. The one on it is the Tesla-style coil made from internet cable, flat wound from 2" to 6", 14 winds-that was twice as many as I needed for 480uH-whoops, so the last half of the wires are seriesed but open ended. That's the most sensitive one. Elliptical is 300uH-works as good as the ML commander on the Surf. Big coil(450uH) works good on both.
1454918549_camera_458.jpg
1454918588_camera_457.jpg

I have the Newhobby NH-5 kit coming in a week or so, then either Crazy-tech's Vandal pulse 2 or Newhobby's Magnum vlf kit . :p

Latest posts