Today I MADE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I made a start on fixing the old trailer(properly) I'd already taken out the rusty cross bars and floor ages ago.
It was pretty rusted.
1424086969_sam_9169.jpg

Just took a bit of precision grinding to free up the sides.
1424086969_sam_9170.jpg

the bloke who made it originally did a really crappy job of the whole thing,.. painted it with spray cans as well the rotten mug(not even kill rust either).
1424086969_sam_9171.jpg

So I ripped the sides off of it today.
1424086969_sam_9172.jpg

And the two gates and the indicator bar and one of the mud guards, so far.
1424086970_sam_9173.jpg

I've got every thing cut new and pre bent up(sides, gates, indicator bar, floor and two mudguards) so that I can just sand blast the frame and paint the new bits and the frame up(and the axle and springs) and weld it all together again,... and add brand new lights as well.
Should look a lot better when it's done(checker plate floor, and extra cross bars so it can hold the Kubota with end loader attachment).

I was gunna do it for a fair while now,... it got a bit worse in the mean time, I'm just lucky that the frame is still nice and solid enough to be able to start from there up RJ. Then I've just got to do a little work on the Kubota(It gets a bit hot and needs an oil top up for the hydraulics to function properly) to make sure it can drive onto the trailer properly,.... It makes a good mobile work bench, and allows you to do more than you could possibly do without one. Looking forward to getting it all happening.
How did yours hold up over the last three years ?

My brother bought a 7x4 box trailer that looked like a pile of rust as he couldn't afford a new one at the time.

We bashed the bottom out of it, replaced it and cut all the rust out. Replaced the bearings and rewired the lights. He added a few half chain links as tie down points.

He got it all finished and it looked like new. It was so good that someone decided to steal it the next day. They only took the trailer nothing else. He never got it back.

That's terrible bad circumstances for your brother GC, not to mention the anguish caused to your family.
gcause said:
My brother bought a 7x4 box trailer that looked like a pile of rust as he couldn't afford a new one at the time.

We bashed the bottom out of it, replaced it and cut all the rust out. Replaced the bearings and rewired the lights. He added a few half chain links as tie down points.

He got it all finished and it looked like new. It was so good that someone decided to steal it the next day. They only took the trailer nothing else. He never got it back.

I'm liking the sand blaster,... but not the weather(although I'm sure it will unearth some goodies at the beach).
I've got it(the trailer) standing on its side(tied to the rafters)
haven't done this bit.
1424261378_sam_9194.jpg

had a little go at this bit,.. wow it really rips the rust and paint away.
Will be onto it as soon as the cyclonic weather clears.
1424261378_sam_9195.jpg

Hi Golddig
Congratulation,I think of all the things that I have had in my life,my family is the best by far,and I am sure you will too.

Regards Frank

Latest posts