Today I MADE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something like 20mm-40mm thick and unwaxed, as when I carve out I still need some depth of around 5mm left... I would say a display plate for starters. Things like bowls are hard to epoxy, as you need to apply the epoxy at just the right time to avoid runs... And its a real chore sanding out runs, then polishing them so I try to avoid runs at all costs... It can have natural 'cracks', as they add it the rustic look when filled...
What would you charge for something like a plate of 200mm dia ?
1557921374_b392606db360a4cdde4454234f5895f5.jpg

1557921628_platter2.jpg

LW.....

LoneWolf said:
Something like 20mm-40mm thick and unwaxed, as when I carve out I still need some depth of around 5mm left... I would say a display plate for starters. Things like bowls are hard to epoxy, as you need to apply the epoxy at just the right time to avoid runs... And its a real chore sanding out runs, then polishing them so I try to avoid runs at all costs... It can have natural 'cracks', as they add it the rustic look when filled...
What would you charge for something like a plate of 200mm dia ?
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...57921374_b392606db360a4cdde4454234f5895f5.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7355/1557921628_platter2.jpg

LW.....

Whoa! That is a thing of beauty!

Baz.

The next and one of the final outer detail jobs on the Viper, are the mechanicals under the top engine cowling. Surprisingly easy to replicate, once I stopped to study it.

Here's a reference photo from the screen-used prop.
m0jY0Xt.jpg

Again, lots of leftover materials used, but I had to buy a length of PVC pipe that was a specific diameter that I didn't have. My next door neighbour gave me a heap of old 50mm pipe. Design work chicken scratches on a bit of old ply, after using a tape measure up on the engine and my blurry MkI eyeball. Gets the job done.

VdVy2pL.jpg

GXG0Z8C.jpg

kz3G80U.jpg

Hey Lonewolf, I'd have to do a bit of research on what the timber would cost, that little bowl is a $10 blank then a few hours work. I'm a bit slow at the moment, just getting back into turning. Hoping to get to a couple of blanks suppliers next week to check out some pricing.

I reckon your best bet might be to find a turner on the Goldie rather than have postage costs too but I'll check it out and come back to you.

Thanks Sandbagger, Not as good as your 'thing of Beauty'... :D :Y:

So true Silver, and I don't sell my 'Firsts or Gifted' items, they are too special to me....
Im going to my local Mens Shed next week to look at a little Air-con job for them.. I will ask around there... Might even look into a cheap lathe and try my hand at a bit of Turning... :D
I can get slabs of various Australian timbers for next to nothing, and that helps to keep costs down... I just need to finish unpacking after our big move... :rolleyes:

LW....

LoneWolf said:
Thanks Sandbagger, Not as good as your 'thing of Beauty'... :D :Y:

So true Silver, and I don't sell my 'Firsts or Gifted' items, they are too special to me....
Im going to my local Mens Shed next week to look at a little Air-con job for them.. I will ask around there... Might even look into a cheap lathe and try my hand at a bit of Turning... :D
I can get slabs of various Australian timbers for next to nothing, and that helps to keep costs down... I just need to finish unpacking after our big move... :rolleyes:

LW....
Lonewolf, I could almost guarantee some one at a Men's Shed would be able to turn up a plate or two for you, particularly if you have access to blanks. That's the biggest issue in Adelaide only one real dedicated turning outlet. The place I got my blanks from yesterday informed he is no longer going to sell turning blanks as there is very little market for them.
If you decide on a lathe, I'm sure you'd enjoy it and opens up your firsts and gift ideas. If you can't get something done, let me know and I have a crack for you.

No worries Manpa, Wow I cant believe they are hard to get in Adelaide... It is a bit of a dying Hobby, but there are still a few into it up here...

LW...

I loved turning plates from Camphor Laurel ( decorative only) and large bowls from big burls. Nearly broke my wrist a few times but the end result was worth it. After 15 years I sold all my gear to the local Mens Shed.
They built an extension shed to house it including the dust extraction system.
The boys love it and that makes me happy.
Mackka :Y:

Yes Pa I also had the full face breathing system as many timbers are extremely toxic. Sassafras is one I remember.
I used to keep some of the camphor laurel turnings , broke them up and put them into breathable linen bags. My wife would put them in the wardrobes and hang them on the door knobs to combat moths etc. and I would have the pleasure of the intense smell of the camphor as I walked through the home.
Are memories ;)
Mackka

Latest posts