Today I FOUND

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With the success of the "Today I Bought" topic, I thought I'd start one for everyday finds. This could be anything from finding $5 down the street to finding your long lost wedding ring under the back patio.

(Please keep gold and coin finds in the appropriate forum sections.)

found a chequebook i hid 5 years ago

I am really really good at hiding stuff when i go out . " In a really clever place " , and then forgetting where i put it when i come back

remind me to never EVER play hide and seek !

Today I found I had locked my ute and garage keys in the garage, so sitting at home all day until the wife gets home with the spare garage key :(

Saltytom said:
Today I found I had locked my ute and garage keys in the garage, so sitting at home all day until the wife gets home with the spare garage key :(

Just found a spare key, yippee I'm free!!! :lol:

Today I found 3 different ways to make a sieve/ concentrator. But not a way for it to fit in my backpack so I carry it too. Back to the drawing board. :rolleyes:

:D Today I found I can make a sieve out of aluminium flyscreen by cutting out the inside of a lid for a big paint can.
Place flyscreen over big bucket , now tap lid on, trim excess screen, now jigsaw top of bucket off -new sieve.!!!

Found a 2meter long x150mm PVC pipe. Perfect for the storage bazooka on the caravan. Now if they threw out the end caps also that would be perfect..... :lol:
[as an afterthought that would make one heck of a spud gun] :D :D

Saltytom said:
Saltytom said:

Just found a spare key, yippee I'm free!!! :lol:

I learnt about 25 years ago to always have a spare key for the house hidden up the back of the block somewhere , and a spare key for the car hidden under the car , inside a chassis beam etc with a magnet ideally so the buggas dont fall out when you get airborne over a speed hump

I learnt that coz murphies law states when you lock yourself out it will be the coldest wettest night of winter for the last 30 years

:D

Today I found...nothing. Lots of quartz and lots of iron pyrite micro crystals but no gold.
1372565705_dsc00283.jpg

Found this too, right at the top of the waterfall and stream I was working, another piece of quartz for the collection.

Not quite found today(5years ago actually :rolleyes: ).... I found my first Blackfellows Bread. http://home.vicnet.net.au/~gfnc/articles/fungus.htm
1372578081_1.jpg

It's a truffle like dried up fungus thinggo that looks like a clump of dirt/potatoe - slightly hairy?
1372578128_2.jpg

I was helping repair an old farm dam & whilst digging the overflow I chucked out this clump of "dirt".
My father inlaw told me to pick it back up & have a better look at what I piffed away.

Anyhow, he told me that this thing was called Blackfellows Bread & he's got quite a few tucked away in his shed.
When they are all dry & hard, you can make very nice things from it. Pendants, walking stick knobs, inset it into fancy furniture or what ever.

Once you cut it, it looks like a golden honey coloured mass that is see thru.

1372578188_3.jpg

Here's a few pictures of a pendant/necklace thing my father inlaw made for my wife

1372578304_4.jpg

1372578352_5.jpg

1372578406_6.jpg

For the last few days we had some friends down from Sydney for a visit. We did the obligatory Sovereign Hill trip where the kids and my mate definitely got the gold fever from panning and finding a few flakes.
So yesterday whilst I had to go back to work (I'd rather be digging bullets out of the bush :rolleyes: ) they all headed off to Blackwood for the day to go and see the garden at St. Erth.
While they were there they spied a couple of cool looking rocks in the car park, some quartz and a nice looking 2kg sedimentary rock that was showing some colour. Excitedly I got the text message from my wife "Graham found some gold!!!"
So I get home from a day in the office to the usual jibes of "you don't need an expensive metal detector, we found some gold in the car park at St. Erth!" and "Why do you waste your time digging bullets out of the bush??" I get out the magnifying glass and sure enough I could see specks all over this particular rock. After confirmation from the party of experts (wives ;) ) that there was gold in this rock, we decided to crush it up and pan off the gold.
During the subsequent rock crushing over the next few hours, there's cries of "We're gonna be rich", "Awww, look at the size of that bit" and "There's gotta be a least a gram of gold in this rock!". These cries drowned out the complaints of "My back hurts", "My knees are locked, I can't get up" and "How much rock dust do you think we've eaten?".

So we get the rock all crushed up and it's time to pan off our fortune, yippeee! We place our big bucket in the laundry tub and I take to the rock dust with my Garret Super Sluice and start showing off my awesome panning technique :cool:

After panning off the first 3rd of rock dust, it's time for a look at our "colour". Excitingly, I get out the magnifying glass and look deep into the pan.

And what do I see???? Lots and lots of specks of...... FOOL'S GOLD 8.( :mad: 8.( :8 Yep, nice little chunks of Iron Pyrite :eek:

So I quietly say to my partner in crime "Mate, I can't see any gold, just pyrite". "Bollocks! Give me a look!" Sure enough he confirms it "Bollocks!"

So stupid me says "Well, let's pan off the rest. I'm sure there's gold in there somewhere. I'd hate to die wondering :/ " Another 20 minutes goes by as I meticulously pan off the rest of the rock dust. Gotta make sure I don't throw any gold out!

Our worst suspicions were confirmed - yep, you guessed it. We were fooled by fool's gold :8 8.(

This morning my wife asked "So how much gold did you guys get out of that rock?" After explaining that yes, we are fools for not only spending 3 hours crushing up a rock but for also thinking that the rock contained gold she quietly walked away and had the decency to laugh quietly to herself (and my mate's wife) without denting our macho rock-crushing egos too much. :D

Bollocks!!!

AU

Today I found a nice 2.04 gram nuggy in my sluice tray.
Yeehah
Cheers
Brad...

aushunter said:
Today I found a nice 2.04 gram nuggy in my sluice tray.
Yeehah
Cheers
Brad...

That would have got the heart racing I bet!
Excellent find :D

Not wrong at all AG Man, I had to do a double take to be sure.
I will post some photos up later.
Cheers
Brad

Latest posts