Today I COOKED.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight we are doing some experiments with pizza !!

We are organising a pizza party in the Park for my Miss 9yrs on a Sat at the end of Apr, just using the Weber to cook 4x 9" pizza's at a time which takes about 5 to 10min.

Because we are expecting @15 kids, 10 invited and a few siblings, we will test our 'cook' timing and toppings today.

I ordered 20x 9" pizza trays at $2.50 inc a piece and 4 fit in the Weber nicely, toppings will be limited to simple kids flavours so they cant go too wild and
we dont end up with a whole lot of waste.
After an entree' of homemade pasta and tomato sauce, the kids will do all the assembly of their own pizza, we will cook and cut. It is going to be an interesting day
with lots of games.

We have frozen our bases before, they turned out rubbish. :/
So we are trying to just refrigerate some bases to see if that will save us rolling them in the Park, and some not refrigerated - taste test and see if they crispen properly.

Two weeks ago we cooked 8x 12" pizza's in the Weber, the last ones the base was not as crisp, I think they were 'rising' again and the wife didnt give it a good bashing
and roll before it hit the trays, so it was rising on the trays.
Those pizza's were all gone within 24hours - 4 that night ! - hungry little Minions :drooling:

Pic's to follow soon and scoring from the 'tribe'.

GH, just a tip, use a pizza stone, helps with holding heat and giving a crisper base. We do our pizzas in a Weber baby q, full bore as far as heat, stone on grill, pizzas on 9" tray, the more you do the longer they take due to loss of heat when opening up to remove and add one.

As we are generally only feed the two of us, cook the second one while eating the first and so on. We keep it pretty simple, only two or three toppings, more traditional flavours.

We used to use a stone, but it broke in half, so now we just use the steel 12" trays, and they have been fine.

But I sense that the aluminum 9" trays will need a new approach.

Our Weber is the old style domed coals version, I use charcoal for the pizza, add a bit of charcoal and rev it up with some blown air, between cooks.

Yesterday we tested our pizza dough in the fridge on trays, and out of the fridge room temp, because we have a kids pizza party
for our Miss 9yrs.

Prepped the Weber coals and charcoal, Mrs and kids working on a batch of non fridge platters, all done and first four into the Weber.

All up we made 15x 9" pizza's from 1 batch of dough, to say we have left overs is an understatement LOL, but it was a test of volumes
and cooking times.

Time for the first batch was 5min and after that each batch tapered off a little until it was about 10min a cook

I think we made 5x BBQ Chicken pizza's, my kids love them, god knows why. :D

Personally I preferred the pizza base that was refrigerated, it seemed to rise a little more and was crunchier underneath, the other
was not bad either and it you didnt do the test comparison, you would not know.
So we will prep the trays and take them to the Park in an esky.

Results below -

Little Miss 3yrs effort - she loves olives, but only got thru 1/4 of her 9" pizza :clap:

1554417540_img_20190404_170349.jpg

1554417223_img_20190404_173712.jpg

1554417224_img_20190404_173721.jpg

1554417309_img_20190404_180127.jpg

Asked the kids if they wanted casserole or rib eye and lamb cutlets for tea.
To my disgust they opted for casserole. Anyways, They gave me a hand making it and it was finished cooking over an hour ago. Funnily enough. No one has eaten any of it yet.

1555232409_20190414_184847.jpg

Then I was at the local store this arvo and passed the meat section. Lambs liver caught my eye. Haven't had it for ages. Took some home and the anemic feeling was gone an hour later.

1555232542_20190414_143100.jpg

1555232563_20190414_145328.jpg

Latest posts