Today I COOKED.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ah the webber kettle . i use to do a lot of cooking in my old webber and smoking probably even more . 10 or more years ago before US style bbq ( pulled pork and so on ) became popular in oz i was doing quite a lot of it , even to the point that i was one of the founding members of an american smoking forum but when my wife became a chronic coeliac i kinda just stopped because we had to be very careful of what she ate (some of my rubs and more so sauces may have been a problem) . now she cant have gluten , any dairy or any of the onion garlic family but have a better handle on what she can and cant have i could probably fire up the old webber again even if i just did some of the recipes just for me ( which she wont mind because she says its unfair on me that i have to endure the same diet most of the time because of her requirements .
johno

Mackka said:
RaJ I see you slow cooking for 8 hours and more, how do you keep the temperature constant working with heat beads and why doesn't the meat smell like fire starters?
Dumb questions but I had to ask.
Mackka

Snake method in a Weber can cook for many hours. I have done some overnight cooks. As Hippy said you can control the temps via airflow, open or close the vents. I have a wireless dual thermometer and if the temp goes above or below the limits I set I get an alarm.

Decent brands of heat beads don't have any nasty smells. Stay away from some cheaper brands.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/6ehH4php-3A[/video]

Mackka said:
Hey RJ , one day you will regret your words as we have the technology hahahaha.
Kindest Regards
Mackka

Love cooking for big groups. When the kids were still at home we had 14-16 for weekend meals. Catered for a few big parties with 50 plus people. No drama. On Aussie day we had 2 webers and my smoker running. Whole gogs... plenty of options.

Hey Mackka, also check out the Akorn. It is a bit more expensive but is well worth it.

http://chargrilleraustralia.com.au/products/akorn-kamado-kooker-2/

I have the same type of cooker but mine is branded the Dragon and has a bit different trolley setup but is basically identical.
It is easily able to go for well over 20 hours on a low and slow setting. I put a 3kg pork shoulder on mine at 10.30 last night and its still ticking away 13 hours later and sitting on about 120 deg C. Smells awesome but am resisting the urge to take it off until the meat hits about 95/96 internal temp. Its sitting at 93C currently.

1523067215_boston_butt_1.jpg

1523067173_boston_butt_2.jpg

1523067113_boston_butt_3.jpg

Hope to have a few more pics later on this arvo of the end product :p

Well after a late stall when the meat was 93C and subsequently dropped by 3 degrees back to 90C over a period of 2 hours or so, it finally pulled through to be fully probe tender and ready to come off for a rest after 17 hours :D

1523087716_boston_butt_4.jpg

1523087717_boston_butt_5.jpg

1523087717_boston_butt_6.jpg

The smell around the yard all day has been sensational and it took a bit of handy tong work to get it off the grill in one piece :cool:

Its currently enjoying the warmth of a pre heated esky and having a well earned rest :p

Apologies for your mysterious weight gain Mackka and watch out for more if you get into this style of cooking haha :lol:

Gees Billy, now I have to run another marathon, after all we do have the Games at present. However, that ain't going to happen so I will just have to continue licking my iPad screen. Smellavision would be great and drone delivery would be better ;)

Mackka :p

Ramjet said:
Awesome. Ya gotta be patient with "the stall"

Ain't that the truth RJ!
Hadn't experienced "the stall" above 90C before, but just goes to show that every cut of meat is different.
I took it off at 95C and it was falling apart :p

Mackka said:
Gees Billy, now I have to run another marathon, after all we do have the Games at present. However, that ain't going to happen so I will just have to continue licking my iPad screen. Smellavision would be great and drone delivery would be better ;)

Mackka :p

Well remember when you run the marathon Mackka that, no pictures.....never happened haha :D

Let me know if you would like a few links to some forums related to the low and slow cooking world ;)

The rest is over for the piggy and the smoked garlic is now a homemade aioli, of sorts.

1523106832_boston_butt_11.jpg

1523106833_boston_butt_12.jpg

It's like christmas when you unwrap one of these beauties :D

1523107038_boston_butt_7.jpg

1523107038_boston_butt_9.jpg

I bagged up and froze half of it with a homemade bbq sauce, as a bit of liquid, in 2 bags, and apple cider and juice in the other 2.

1523107039_boston_butt_10.jpg

Might have to take up running a few marathons myself, I reckon.... :eek: ]:D :D

Damn that pork looks good.

I'm not set uo for slow BBQ style cooking, but often do bits of meat in the oven in a similar style - plenty of time on a low temp until the meat gets to 90-95C. Its pretty good, but misses the smoke factor.

Last night I boned a little corn fed chicken and marinated it in Thai seasonings and coconut milk.

Then grilled it on the BBQ, and served it up with a little rice and some peanut sauce, with a cucumber salad on the side. Crunchy deep fried shallots on top.

1523160391_chicken_sate_2.jpg

Latest posts