Today I BOUGHT

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today my folding solar panel 80 watt arrived
Here are some pics.
Solar panel
Power pack and accessories..........put together myself.
Inside of powerpack
Ordered it last Friday arrived today.
Set it up........overcast..........put out 20.5 volts open circuit........so it is spot on to specs. 24.5 open circuit in full sun.
17.5v when connected to battery.
MPPT CONTROLLER with 2 bypass diodes ...so no worries about discharging at night.
RICH SOLAR
The best part $145 with free delivery.
Auction ended at 2am no other bids........stroked to say the least.
Same system at JAYCAR was $298.00
Cheers
Thesmithy

Solar Panel folding 80 Watt
1372682800_solar_panel_80_watt.jpg

Inside power Pack it has one charging port with bypass diode for 240 volt 12 volt & solar charging capacity.
2 socket outlet with 30amp switches.

1372683171_powerpac_inside.jpg

Solar accessories for LED lights, solar panels,normal battery charging, and power Pack.
Put together by me. They have all connector Anderson plugs, male-female lighter sockets, aligator clips. phone charger plugs.
Large 5m lead came with panel just changed end to Anderson plug.
In camp will connect straight to 4x4 to run fridge Etc.

1372683467_solar_accessories.jpg

Control box in vehicle will have Anderson plug and HD lighter socket installed tomorrow with Bypass Diode to stop discharge over night.

1372683724_compressor_1.jpg

thesmithy said:
Here are some pics.
Solar panel
Inside of powerpack
Set it up........overcast..........put out 20.5 volts open circuit........so it is spot on to specs. 24.5 open circuit in full sun.
MPPT CONTROLLER with 2 bypass diodes ...so no worries about discharging at night.
RICH SOLAR
Cheers
Thesmithy

i have to come back to this post when i am ready to do mine - but i wont be as sophisticated

going to add one of these too for the multitude of USB cabled' thingies

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-24V-...Caravan_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43bd6d7722

what do GPX5000 batteries need for charge time on a setup like yours , or for comparison sake , what is the charging time if you are plugged in to a 70ZZ battery on the average 4WD ? ( assuming its the second battery in a dual battery setup)

thanks for sharing .

Today I [had to buy] a fuel-pump for the Prado.
The thing pooped itself in a shopping centre car park.
Not a happy MrsM... :(

Got a Navag8r Nav watch , which has GPS tracking + software ( 4 PC) , to show you where you have been & other fitnees stuff, only interested in the GPS :)

Hi All,
Today I bought and fitted a N/S/F (to the non mechanical people = near side front) lower control arm for my wife's 2007 Lancer. $340.00
My son thinks he is Ken Block I'm sure. He hit a gutter with it :) He's hard on the equipment!!!!!!

Cheers
Mick

With the cold , wet weather and no time to get out for a dig I needed something to do.
Purley for therapeutic purposes only...... :lol:
27sd.jpg

ls7k.jpg

I could imagine chasing the cat around the house with that :lol:
Top buy. I love it. Make sure you have the Jaws music on while it roams the corridors.

whats it filled with ? . Helium ?

to be fair the box does say " age 8 and up " so you still qualify

think of the practical jokes you could play with one of those

the wife or kids wake up at 4 am to see one of those sharks swimming towards them in mid air

can you imagine the screams ?

:D

HeadsUp said:
whats it filled with ? . Helium ?

to be fair the box does say " age 8 and up " so you still qualify

think of the practical jokes you could play with one of those

the wife or kids wake up at 4 am to see one of those sharks swimming towards them in mid air
can you imagine the screams ?
:D

Yes Headsup. Took it to a party shop and they filled it with helium for me.
Scared the fur off the dog....he wont go swimming for a long time now.. :)
Tried to scare MrsM this morning......told me to "put it away and stop playing with it"..... :lol: :lol: go figure.I thought it was funny at 6am

HeadsUp said:
thesmithy said:
Here are some pics.
Solar panel
Inside of powerpack
RICH SOLAR
Cheers
Thesmithy

i have to come back to this post when i am ready to do mine - but i wont be as sophisticated

going to add one of these too for the multitude of USB cabled' thingieso

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-24V-...Caravan_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43bd6d7722

what do GPX5000 batteries need for charge time on a setup like yours , or for comparison sake , what is the charging time if you are plugged in to a 70ZZ battery on the average 4WD ? ( assuming its the second battery in a dual battery setup)

thanks for sharing .

The panels put out 4.58amps in good light....so doing the maths you would get around 5 to say 6 good hrs of light. So around 30 amp/hrs in a normal 8 hrs.
For the detector batteries........300w inverter drawing 1.25amp/hrs would run your 240volt charger no problems.....charging your batterys in no time compared to trying to charge them with a normal 12 volt battery on your vehicle.
Solar panels must be connected to a battery.....then connect the accessories to the battery.......just make sure that the panel input is equal or greater than the draw on the battery.
Connecting straight to 2nd battery will take a very long time especially if vehicle is not running. Battery will only discharge to the same voltage as the battery you want to charge. Eg. 12.3 to 12.3.
Use an inverter they are $99.00 for a 300watt...........my batterys for the laptop-phone -detector charge in less than 15 minutes with the inverted.
Cheers
Thesmithy

thesmithy said:

The panels put out 4.58amps in good light....so doing the maths you would get around 5 to say 6 good hrs of light. So around 30 amp/hrs in a normal 8 hrs.
For the detector batteries........300w inverter drawing 1.25amp/hrs would run your 240volt charger no problems.....charging your batterys in no time compared to trying to charge them with a normal 12 volt battery on your vehicle.
Solar panels must be connected to a battery.....then connect the accessories to the battery.......just make sure that the panel input is equal or greater than the draw on the battery.
Connecting straight to 2nd battery will take a very long time especially if vehicle is not running. Battery will only discharge to the same voltage as the battery you want to charge. Eg. 12.3 to 12.3.
Use an inverter they are $99.00 for a 300watt...........my batterys for the laptop-phone -detector charge in less than 15 minutes with the inverter.
Cheers
Thesmithy

awesome .

what amp hour rating is the battery that you have on your 80 w solar panels and is that a NmH battery or SLA ?

I was going to aim for a 1000 watt inverter if a 120 - 180 watt solar is enough to run it on a 110Z lead acid battery . but maybe i dont even need that much ?

I would have two detector batteries swapping out every second day , a 7 amp hour 12 volt battery for an accessory to be charged each day , laptop and phone every couple of days and a second 110Z battery for the boat trolling motor to be charged up to once a day which i was thinking i would swap out with the one on the solar panels
or maybe i should use a mini generator to charge the boat battery ? . doing more homework on that .

edited
. change of plans . I have the space for a 250 w solar panel , which i think a 30 amp charge controller will be a safe match for with a bit of extra duty cycle up its sleeve so why not use it.
if i get 15 amps x 8 hours then 120 A/hrs correct less efficiency losses based on no cloud and a sun that sits directly above me all day ;)
a tilting hinge on the solar panel mount wont hurt

thankyou kindly

Latest posts