Third time out

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got out for my third swing today, not much but rusty junk. i think i've got the machine sorted, now i just have to learn how to read the ground or theres just no gold left out at Mt Doran...
although with all this rusty stuff, im thinking of starting a scrap metal business... haha
still it was good to get out for the day frustrating as it was.

I know how you feel ave, I spent a couple of hours down at the beach the other day for a grand total of 11 bottle tops, 1 phillips head screw and an unused condom in a foil pack. Sun was out, birds were chirping all in all a good morning.

Stormy05 said:
I know how you feel ave, I spent a couple of hours down at the beach the other day for a grand total of 11 bottle tops, 1 phillips head screw and an unused condom in a foil pack. Sun was out, birds were chirping all in all a good morning.

Nice one Stormy, at least you got a good condom.. :lol:

ave-a-go said:
Stormy05 said:

Nice one Stormy, at least you got a good condom.. :lol:
That's gold :lol:

ave-a-go said:
Got out for my third swing today, not much but rusty junk. i think i've got the machine sorted, now i just have to learn how to read the ground or theres just no gold left out at Mt Doran...
although with all this rusty stuff, im thinking of starting a scrap metal business... haha
still it was good to get out for the day frustrating as it was.

If your research says that the ground you're working had nuggety gold and you are still pulling out metal than there's still gold there. When the majority of metal has gone then the majority of the gold may have gone as well. Nobody can take all the gold and leave the rest behind.

Phil

aussiefarmer said:
Gold usually averages 1 in 100 targets aslong as your findind old lead pellets (so they are white) theres a good chance theres still gold in them there hills :D
Hi ausiefarmer my experience or areas I have been working more like 1 in 500 or 1 in 1000. Cheers More Lead shot.

Good advice Moneybox. Yeah ave-a-go, the best thing to do is to keep swinging mate.

I'll be out there after work tonight, I don't live far away. I'm fairly new to prospecting myself, about 10 months now.
One thing about Mt Doran is the source is right in the middle of the place, in the reefs running N and S. The N side gold went N to Lal lal and the S side went S to Elaine.
Remember there is not much point working the wide gullies if the bottom is 2m deep, work the sides of the hills.
The gold they dug in the gully came from those hills around it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Jarrod84 said:
I'll be out there after work tonight, I don't live far away. I'm fairly new to prospecting myself, about 10 months now.
One thing about Mt Doran is the source is right in the middle of the place, in the reefs running N and S. The N side gold went N to Lal lal and the S side went S to Elaine.
Remember there is not much point working the wide gullies if the bottom is 2m deep, work the sides of the hills.
The gold they dug in the gully came from those hills around it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Hi Jarrod, im about 20 minutes away from Mt Doran, Maybe we could have a mini meet up one day?

Could do mate. I'm about 30 mins away but getting the time is a real struggle.
I went to some of the main diggings for a look after work and found good ground but didn't find a single target worth digging, only surface junk so maybe they have been hit hard, they never get it all though.
The undergrowth is a real pain too.
There are other places I'd rather go but being close I'll give it more time in the future away from the main diggings.

I agree with 1 out of 100 targets, I only don't understand these people that post on facebook, they go out for couple of hours and come back with a dozen of nuggets, it is just me to be unlucky or these people are full of sh....t. :)

patchfinder said:
I agree with 1 out of 100 targets, I only don't understand these people that post on facebook, they go out for couple of hours and come back with a dozen of nuggets, it is just me to be unlucky or these people are full of sh....t. :)
There are plenty of spots where 1 in 100 is rubbish and the other 99 are gold :Y:

madtuna said:
patchfinder said:
There are plenty of spots where 1 in 100 is rubbish and the other 99 are gold :Y:
In WA maybe, in Vicroria a bit less....

Today was zero for ~20 digs, but yesterday was 4 (counting a medal) from ~20 digs - so 3 or 4 from 40 digs or - 1 in 10 or 13. Just gotta find some place every man and his dog haven't dug gold and trashed.

I've been doing alright last few trips, but this time around I've been over here for almost 3 weeks and only pinged 4 bits. Still, I guess I'll still have a rattle in my jar on the way home Wednesday. And despite a broken handle that gave me the shizzles today, I still have a few days left to try and redeem myself. :)

some are full of shit,others have done the research and leg work to find 'new' patches.

it's a big country,to think a detector has been swung over it all is narrow.

think outside the x's on the map,also use the geology maps to your advantage.

if x type of ground produced x mineral,chase that ground.

more times than not I've checked the geomaps for a possible source of map x's and there's a fault or major movement going on somewhere close.

Latest posts