The phases of gold prospecting...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering whether this hobby has similar phases or stages as other hobbies that I have enjoyed in the past (Golf, fishing, hunting, mountain biking). For example, Golf was: phase 1) I hit the ball really pure once during my round, 2) I got a par during my round, 3) I just broke 80 and am now getting lessons and playing more often, 4) hittting low 70s and Im a solid single figure player, 5) my first sub-par round!

With prospecting, what Ive experienced so far...
1) the no idea: got 2 flakes in my pan at a random spot and was stoked!
2) chasing known areas: getting around 100 specks in a Pan after quite a few hours of planning and am stoked!
3) home made river sluice in known areas: getting some more gold and a few pickers. Probably accumulated a gram or 2 of gold by now.
4) whats next?

Do you guys ever get a lot of gold for a days digging? Or does this hobby tend to top out fairly quickly?

Regards,
Mike

Yep!
For me it's the hunt, research, trying out different spots and if I find something promising I do it all again.

Like others I built my own sluice, a rocker box, got some colour, now I'm re thinking that ie Rocker + Dream mat

Sometimes I need a break, but not "Top Out"

Realistically it's not the Bearing Sea or The Yukon, and maybe there are pans full of gold still to be found, maybe the rocker will be so full of gold that it will glow, but no matter what happens I'm still enjoying it, haven't got filthy rich yet but paid some bills and bought more toys..... that's how I'm playing my game!!!!

Need a drink now !!! I'm being way too deep!!

I went the Opposite way and now go all over the place.

1. Went Detecting for gold no luck as I had no idea, I am a coin guy.
2. Bought some pans got a spec.
3. Worked some areas got a few specs.
4. Got a gold cube and ran a lot more dirt got a lot more specs.
5. Back to detecting Bought a 5000 and got 5 pieces, 4 with the Deus I already had and 1 with 5000
6. Now it's crevicing time, It's hot and there is a spot 15 minutes from home I can hit before it gets stupid hot, then sit in a clamshell pool and pan it off. :)
6. Now I do a bit of everything depending on what time I have available.

I Still mainly coin shoot as that is my true passion, I love the hunt for gold though, the research, the stories etc but I love that about coin and relicing too. I especially love the finding of gold, but my biggest thrill still comes from that sweet sound of a silver under the coil.
The rest is just an excuse to go away for the weekend/week/month or whatever I can get granted leave for and drink some beers with whoever is in camp at the time.

It is a sickness, thats for sure. LOL

Clegy

You definitely get more and more each time as you learn something every time you go out.
Atleast that's what I've found.

I started watching all those gold shows on foxtel for years. Then one day I was bored and suddenly remember I had a metal gold pan from Ballarat from when I went to sovereign Hill as a kid. Grabbed it, bundled the mrs and daughter in the car and drove the 40 mins to a spot known for alluvial gold. Third pan got two flakes and I was hooked.

Purchased a garret gold trap pan kit the following week and the rest is history.

Now I'm in the process of modifying my highbanker. As I stated you learn each time so I'm making improvements i see beneficial.

Definitely won't get rich out of it but I enjoy the challenge!

Hmmmmm... It's like anything, eventually you get sick of things and then you find something else to enjoy. Look at me, I used to enjoy sex for 50 years, now that novelty has worn off.
I too went through the shooting and hunting stages (put a .22 bullet through my foot once), then it was scuba diving (nearly drowned a few times), now I found that looking for gold has taken my fancy. Have found about $1000 worth so far, better returns than playing tatts or horses. I recommend that gamblers should take up this hobby, at least they wont lose their marriage or house over it..............alex

Great posts here by all involved...sums up what we all derive from this hobby and then some ..I guess.
I have believed for some time now, that the 'gold' is the going out and searching and all that encompasses. ]:D And the getting of any 'gold' in the mineral sense..is a welcome bonus!. :D So for me...I always, come home a winner....and that's really :cool: You can't that. Rossco. :cool:

OMG Graybeard! And youre only 58!!! Started young?

I enjoy the process of learning - new techniques, the thrill of putting in the time and effort and seeing the results, the research and practice.
I also love getting away from it all - no mobiles, no people, exploring Australian bush and some of its history.

So what can I expect as I get better? A vial of gold in a weekend? When I read reports of the amount of gold that the old timers apparently were getting - it seems unreal! And if they missed spots (which they would have) or deemed them uneconomical, surely theres scope for us to attain the same yield??
What amounts are our more experienced/successful prospectors getting in a weekend when their time and research pays off?

I used to do pottery, for me it was more about the glaze chemistry and the firings (how you run the kiln, rich or lean).

Then went on to competitive paper punching with a .22, after winning A grade champeen for four years in a row I got bored with that. After shooting I bought a Bounty Hunter, a red one (was that the rustler?), never found much with it but the hunt was good fun and researching where to go next.

Somehow, like it always does, life got in the way and I did nothing for a while, so boring doing nothing, so bought a sailing boat and went sailing. Had 2 BMW Motorbikes, and now have a maxi scooter plus a bigger sailing boat, love my Deus now and still get more of a kick out researching than the actual finding. Lets face it, if you had a great day out in the bush what could possibly be better ......... maybe a couple of coldies at the end of the day with some mates.

I say dig dig dig for there's no fever like gold fever.... 1st it starts with specs 2nd it's pickers 3rd your looking at Google Earth, maps ect and 4th you will be driving down the road and pulling over to your families puzzlement looking at any place that you think or might hold gold 5th the first nugget. And after that you are well and truly addicted......

1509625391_20170518_004638_pittong.jpg

Hi wolf, I like your comment. I thought I'd show you my 10 gram nugget to let you know there is gold still out there and not to get discouraged. But remember, once it's dug out of the ground it's gone forever. I'll try and get you a picture of a nugget that even took my breath away. One of my friends dug it up at Avoca using a large excavator at a depth of 6 metres or so. I reckon it would weigh about 20 kg.... YES 20kg !!!. He's a bit hesitant at letting me get a picture of it though. I'll try to get the pic and post it. Makes my nugget look tiny.

Just curious... There,s a place midway between Cardigan and Ballarat on the western highway, North side of highway. There is a lot of activity going on. Large excavators bulldozers etc. I don't think it's an urban development. looks like a gold mining venture. I was wondering if it's worthwhile to jump the fence and swing a detector. Anyone seen it?. There is no sign of quartz material.

What about that place between Gosford and Wollongong ,..... been a few people through there over the years but that don't mean nuthin. :|

Graybeard said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co.../11193/1509625391_20170518_004638_pittong.jpg

Hi wolf, I like your comment. I thought I'd show you my 10 gram nugget to let you know there is gold still out there and not to get discouraged. But remember, once it's dug out of the ground it's gone forever. I'll try and get you a picture of a nugget that even took my breath away. One of my friends dug it up at Avoca using a large excavator at a depth of 6 metres or so. I reckon it would weigh about 20 kg.... YES 20kg !!!. He's a bit hesitant at letting me get a picture of it though. I'll try to get the pic and post it. Makes my nugget look tiny.

Just curious, is that a natural nugget or melted fines?

Graybeard said:
Just curious... There,s a place midway between Cardigan and Ballarat on the western highway, North side of highway. There is a lot of activity going on. Large excavators bulldozers etc. I don't think it's an urban development. looks like a gold mining venture. I was wondering if it's worthwhile to jump the fence and swing a detector. Anyone seen it?. There is no sign of quartz material.

Jumping fences is definitely not a good idea

When I first found gold (finally after 6 months detecting around 6 years back), I became secretive, but that's changed now, as I like to show my prospecting mates (never knew these guys till I joined PA) where I'm finding it and share the group experience - particularly the happy faces around the bush telly in the evenings.
They share with me as well, so I know they feel much the same.
It's not the $$$ (I haven't sold gold and likely never will), just the hobby, with finds being the tested outcome of successful sleuthing.
Therefore whoever finds some is a great outcome for my outings.

Latest posts