The definition of a bad prospector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It really does take all types hey? It seems no matter how hard we try to do better some goose wants to defy everyone just to get some colour, with no thought to the wider community. Only last week i spent a good two hours backfilling a spot that is gaining popularity, 10 years ago it was virtually untouched and now theres bloody great excavations all over. So instead of digging i was backfilling before someone complains. I don't get how on open ground with a pick you can open a 2 foot by 2 foot hole anywhere from a few inches deep to a few feet and just move on and start digging the next one and repeating over and over. I'll be the rude one when i catch whoever it is, its bloody disgraceful. And if its you ffs please do your backfilling! But back on point, i feel for you because your between a rock and a hard place, and I'm not one for over policing but this guy needs to be confronted and held accountable, i could only suggest possible mob rule, and if you need an extra pair of hands to help rectify the damage pm me and I'll bring a shovel. That should help sort out a couple of issues :D
most people i want to show the gold, but a select few i want to show an abandoned mine shaft. Stay safe GD.

We've got a couple of illegal dredge operators running around up here that aren't worried about getting caught. One has a 4" mounted on a trailer. This one was camped in a caravan park and another prospector I know went over and tried to preach the good word to them and boy didn't he get a mouthful. I now always carry a camera and have one mounted in the ute but what how these people will react if they realise there being filmed is any ones guess.
G0lddigg, you did the right thing by walking away.
:) Mick

axeman said:
We've got a couple of illegal dredge operators running around up here that aren't worried about getting caught. One has a 4" mounted on a trailer. This one was camped in a caravan park and another prospector I know went over and tried to preach the good word to them and boy didn't he get a mouthful. I now always carry a camera and have one mounted in the Ute but what how these people will react if they realize there being filmed is any ones guess.
G0lddigg, you did the right thing by walking away.
:) Mick
its funny at one state I thought this bloke isn't going to shut up so i had a look around for my mobile, its the first time ever ive left it in the car :) would have loved to post a video on the net showing this guy harassing me an my mate... im sure some of his friends would eventually seen it but like you said that could have sparked another fire altogether...

Goldtarget said:
It really does take all types hey? It seems no matter how hard we try to do better some goose wants to defy everyone just to get some colour, with no thought to the wider community. Only last week i spent a good two hours backfilling a spot that is gaining popularity, 10 years ago it was virtually untouched and now theres bloody great excavations all over. So instead of digging i was backfilling before someone complains. I don't get how on open ground with a pick you can open a 2 foot by 2 foot hole anywhere from a few inches deep to a few feet and just move on and start digging the next one and repeating over and over. I'll be the rude one when i catch whoever it is, its bloody disgraceful. And if its you ffs please do your backfilling! But back on point, i feel for you because your between a rock and a hard place, and I'm not one for over policing but this guy needs to be confronted and held accountable, i could only suggest possible mob rule, and if you need an extra pair of hands to help rectify the damage pm me and I'll bring a shovel. That should help sort out a couple of issues :D
most people i want to show the gold, but a select few i want to show an abandoned mine shaft. Stay safe GD.

I can appreciate your sentiment we can only hope people like this find the odd shaft once in a while, bit of karma :)

the bad thing is, people doing the right thing are the ones that leave. Had a simular incident with someone a while back & cause he lived next to crown land involve we were told it may be in our best interest to stay away. He was warned by Parks about his illegal actions but we were the ones punished & that is why I say not next time.
I'll stand my ground next time as we have rights & more than those who don't care. I hope not to meet this person cause the out come won't be the same.

It is very bad when things are like this.. Put him in and bring shame on all fossickers or let him fall over several times on the rocks.. never know he may have even fixed up his mess and never come back... you guys cleaning up his mess is looking after your selves and is to be comended... :)
dave14110 said:
the bad thing is, people doing the right thing are the ones that leave. Had a simular incident with someone a while back & cause he lived next to crown land involve we were told it may be in our best interest to stay away. He was warned by Parks about his illegal actions but we were the ones punished & that is why I say not next time.
I'll stand my ground next time as we have rights & more than those who don't care. I hope not to meet this person cause the out come won't be the same.

dave14110 said:

yeh it is a shame, my mate was really wired up hes already been having a rough trot in life and this bloke really tested him. the worst of it was when we were leaving we got half way up the hill away and said " looks like you blokes got a bit of respect afterall" leaving a bloke to work his hole... aghghaghahgahgahgaghahgahga...

sorry top hear you've experienced this mate i think its always better to be the bigger man, very easy to knock someone out much harder to walk away

It's the gold fever, people see us doing gold prospecting as a hobby and think they can totally clean out an area to make a quick buck before anyone can get their hands on it, vs leaving some for next time around. As far as I'm concerned, if you want to go to those lengths, get a proper mining lease and work it vs stuffing it up for all the recreational detectorists and fossickers. They simply don't give a hoot, leaving us to cop the blame and clean up the mess after them - more restrictions are inevitable at this rate. :rolleyes:

Interesting. I originally saw this as a negative story for our hobby/obsession. But after following this topic I come away with a positive view.
We all reject this persons point of view and actions.
The overwhelming rejection of this persons actions and ideals tell me that the majority of us abhor this persons actions.
I realize that 1 persons negative actions can have a huge affect on public views of a sensative topic.
We all need to do the right thing and let everyone know we reject the rouges amogst us.

Ramjet said:
Interesting. I originally saw this as a negative story for our hobby/obsession. But after following this topic I come away with a positive view.
We all reject this persons point of view and actions.
The overwhelming rejection of this persons actions and ideals tell me that the majority of us abhor this persons actions.
I realize that 1 persons negative actions can have a huge affect on public views of a sensative topic.
We all need to do the right thing and let everyone know we reject the rouges amogst us.

Here, here.
As per my earlier post, about giving details to authorities, "dob in a dickhead" if you like. Sorry about the language, it just seems appropriate.

"The point was also made that, it could be seen that the majority of prospectors will not tolerate this sort of behavior any more, and therefore be taken as an indicator or our good intent. It might just earn us some brownie points with them. (Authorities, Greenies and general public.)

I'm sure the "Greenies" don't need us to tell them about all the wrong doings out there. The evidence is easy to find. The same could not be said for our efforts to stamp it out.

Good work and kudos to the guys going to the trouble of cleaning up after the idiots. We should do our bit. There's probably nothing stopping us from taking photos, rego etc, then doing our bit to clean up where possible.

On that note, maybe a working bee while the creeks are dry. Could get us some real good positive publicity. You know the drill. Along the lines of Clean up Australia, but called "Clean up a Creek". Organize a working bee. Pick up rubbish, fill in the odd hole, make safe undercut banks. Hell, would Parks Vic allow us to clean up log jams?

Show of hands might be interesting. Spread the word.

Cheers, Ron.

O would of dug a hole and buried him in it, but then we would get in trouble from the greenies for burying rubbish in the bush lol

By the way. Breakie at the Daylesford Bakery again this Saturday, 8.30.
3 or 4 of us will be there. Others are welcome to come along. Just look for the wiskery old bald guy in an orange work shirt and say g'day Ron, then pull up a chair and introduce yourself.

Cheers, Me.

best thing about mobile phones is that they all have cameras, It's those who do the wrong thing is what everybody remembers and makes a bad name for us all

I know exactly who it is,a well known Daylesfords identity,as soon as I start to read the post,excuse me but I started to laugh.

Wow, I've only spoke to one fellow prospector so far and it was quite the opposite. I took a drive out to slaty creek a couple months ago and if you don't know it's basically bone dry, had a 5min chat with this old bloke and he basically told me where and how far up or down the creek there was a puddle left to play in. I have come to places where I've seen other people working and I've either turned around and gone the opposite direction or found another spot to play. Sorry to hear about your incident, maybe a good thread to tell us newer guys to share what you thinks courteous. I would love to stop and have a chat to some more weathered foe I've come across but usually I've turned around and hiked the other way before they've even noticed me so as to not tread on toes so to speak. If working along side others what does everyone find an appropriate distance from another?

Hey Ron,

You guys going to the same spot as last time, we got chatting about F100's last time, I went drove by there last week and popped down for a look and the creek was bone dry :( Might stop by for a chat on the way up north.

Cheers, V_8

thedigger said:
I know exactly who it is,a well known Daylesfords identity,as soon as I start to read the post,excuse me but I started to laugh.

one of your mates? ........... i knew someone would have to know him he isn't the most subtle of people ive met

V_8 said:
Hey Ron,

You guys going to the same spot as last time, we got chatting about F100's last time, I went drove by there last week and popped down for a look and the creek was bone dry :( Might stop by for a chat on the way up north.

Cheers, V_8
Nah mate. We checked out the creek last weekend. I managed to run my new pump and recirculate in a small hole, but it was way too muddy by the time I finished and I only ran the small McKirk sluice too. I been in bath tubs with more water. I suspect it will be near enough to dry this weekend. I was the last decent size hole in the area.
I'm actually gunna swing the new ATX for a few hours at a spot about 1 km away, say East South East from the powerline crossing. Look for the Cruiser, she wont be far away from me.
Cheers, Ron.

Latest posts