The definition of a bad prospector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G0lddigg@

Dustin
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Took a good mate out today to show him some of the spots i work in and around the Daylesford and Hepburn area.

The day Started off really well, we got good colours in the usual places but water was scarce, so I decided to take my mate to a secret spot Ive been working for the past year, a really good spot anyway when we got there I was a little confused to say the least at the state of this spot.

Now i'm no angel ive turned some rocks over and opened up some areas in my time but someone had dug metre wide steps into the banks on both sides of the creek and paved them, they'd made a 50 meter path up the creek by carting rocks around and squashing it all down and built retaining walls with stones all around the place and made platforms everywhere.

I was thinking someone must be moving in... if I had my camera I would have taken a photo but seriously the place looked like someones backyard.

Anyway I was a bit pissed because I had been working a crevice that was producing really well and this goose had covered it all up with his rock furniture.

so were panning away and I hear someone coming through the bush,... i stand up and say "hey another fellow prospector how you going mate"? well this bloke went into a spinning rave like Ive never seen before..... he started carrying on about "you blokes wouldn't jump into a blokes grave would ya" "ya wouldn't wait for the body to turn cold would ya"

I thought he was taking the piss so i asked what do you mean? he started on about you blokes are jumping right into my hole! ive been bloody working this for 7 days. I said mate ive been working here for 12 months what the problem there's plenty of water.....

a few expletives later and a few yous (*&%^& city folk comin round ere taking all our gold..... rant rant rant I told him i actually grew up in the area and id never met anyone quite like him who walked straight in on the attack before and as far as I was concerned there was enough water for all...

nahnah nah he said yous cant use this water bugger of and find ya own water ya cant come in on a bloke like this ,im from the old school... etc etc. dont ya know if someone been ere ya cant work it ive been here for 65 years my families been here for 4 generations yous don't know how it works ya can bugger off yous got no respect taking money out me pocket

well I asked him to shut his pie hole before I shut it for him and that my patience was wearing out, by this stage my mate has put down his shovel and is about to knock this bloke out as well, he wouldn't shut up... carried on for 25 minutes at least before walking away and then came back again and again and kept going.

bear in mind he was working 50 meters down the creek and carting material up to where we were working and said we were muddying up his limited supply of water..

I decided we were going to leave before someone got hurt and I don't like hitting anyone let alone an old fella, it really pissed me off and ruined our whole day.

Got me thinking thought now if i was just getting into prospecting and had done some research bought a pan and headed down to this creek and some old prick came at me like that It would ruin the hobby for me. People like this are the reason we (prospectors) are sometimes looked at at toothless money hungry bank diggers....

This bloke broke all the rules for me,
a. didn't come and say hello and have a chat with a fellow prospector
B. abused the crap out of a fellow prospector with no reason
c. thinks he has some divine right to the water that runs through spring creek
d. made a mess of an area that frequents tourist all year which makes us prospectors look bad
e. didn't have a miners right and had no regard for the rules

So if your out Daylesford / Hepburn way look out for an old bloke with gumboots a shovel beard and hand made sieve who thinks he owns the place he's obviously quite unwell in the head.

I wouldn't have blamed you for knocking the guy out but well done on keeping your cool. Some people just have no respect for others, I'm sure if you came across this guy at the local servo his attitude would be no different. All I can say is don't let him discourage you from doing what you love, keep on digging your spot mate.

P.S. I've moved your Topic into General Chat as it's not exactly a members event ;)

What a shame golddigga.
Keep an eye out next time you're out there alone.
What was the idea behind the retaining walls? I have seen this also in a certain spot, but looks like it was done in the old days.
Well done for keeping your cool.
Reeko

Hay sounds like just the place for a club outing! all of us for a week! I hear there are good steps to the water hole :lol:

I have a beard and a shovel! but it wasn't me, I'm in Queensland and rubbish at land scaping. :(

Seriously, what a prawn "taking money from his pocket" certainly not a fossicker as we are not allowed to sell what we find, not to supplement our income anyhow.

Might be time to find a new spot, mention that place specifically on the public forum and hay presto!
Every man and his dog will be there.

best way to handle idiots like that is be really nice it drives them nuts :) and only hit some one when they try to hurt you self defence only other wise hard to get gold in jail ;)

Wow thats one amazing story, glad it didnt happen to me as I have only been out once and that was only for an hour on a very hot day, needless to say I didnt find anything. Well done on walking away and better luck in the future.
Cheers Debra

have to say aleays feels better to walk away certainly wont put me off going out there just shits me when 99.9 % of all prospectors I meet are great people.

G0lddigg@ said:
have to say aleays feels better to walk away certainly wont put me off going out there just shits me when 99.9 % of all prospectors I meet are great people.
Don't suppose you got his rego, car make etc.
It has been suggested to me by someone pretty hi up in the PMAV that us legit and responsible prospectors may have to consider "self policing".
Not really the Auzzie way, to "dob" somebody in, but hey, it's the rest of us they're screwing over.
In this case, it may have been justified.
Worth thinking about.
Cheers, Ron.

What a goose!! well done on keeping yourselves under control, I seriously don't I could put up with that rot. Don't let this moron put you off mate unfortunately people like this idiot turn up from time to time.

cheers Rob

I did have a fairly heated discussion regarding the fact that three of us have managed to work this area for 12 months without messing the place up and in 7 days hed trashed the place. told him I may make a call to dse amd he laughed at that and said im from the old school you city folk have no idea.

I looked for his car but he was on foot. im pretty confident I can find out who he is like I said I grew up and went to school there amd he said hes one of the four families that have been there for generations. there really is only a few names that come to mind

Imagine being on a gold field in the 1800s when sidearms were allowed. How would that conversion have gone down back then? And the civility that would have been required for 10,000 men to work side by side in all weather conditions, survival dependant on how much earth you could process.

I guess greed (GoldFever) does overcome rational behaviour, it is a shame you had to witness the ugly side of such a wonderful disease. I must have a different strain, GoldFever :lol: just makes me happy. :lol:

hey wally yeh I pretty much just moved to another spot 2km up tye creel for a bit mate once I got some colour in the pan started giggling about it :) fever heals all

Sorry you had such a bad experience.
Well done for keeping your cool and not escallating the situation.
Only takes a few like him to upset tourists or newbies and word will spead what an horrible bunch we all are.

As richo says... be nice to thme. When someone gives me the finger when on the road I usually blow them a kiss ;)

Problem is if we do the un aussie thing & dob him in he only proves the greenies point that damage is been done. Self policeing sounds better to me. I think I would of been so nice he would of got jacked off & taken a swing, As has been said Self defence you had a witness & he didn't. Or I would of just thrown a bucket of water at him & told him to cool it.

One of my favourite sayings is "you can't educate idiots and you can't put brains in statues". Enough said.

Wally69 said:
Imagine being on a gold field in the 1800s when sidearms were allowed. How would that conversion have gone down back then? And the civility that would have been required for 10,000 men to work side by side in all weather conditions, survival dependant on how much earth you could process.

I guess greed (GoldFever) does overcome rational behaviour, it is a shame you had to witness the ugly side of such a wonderful disease. I must have a different strain, GoldFever :lol: just makes me happy. :lol:

A noble thought, but I'm not too sure there was that much civility back in those days either,,,lol.
As you say sidearms (the Peacemaker) probably settled most of the arguments back then.

I hope you hit it big in our new spot golddig.. that old fela needs to take a step back or the next person he rats off at may not be so ready to walk away.

I also hope your mate is not put off by this oddball

Cheers, Tone

dave14110 said:
Problem is if we do the un aussie thing & dob him in he only proves the greenies point that damage is been done. Self policeing sounds better to me. I think I would of been so nice he would of got jacked off & taken a swing, As has been said Self defence you had a witness & he didn't. Or I would of just thrown a bucket of water at him & told him to cool it.

When I spoke about "Self policing" the inference this PMAV person made was, that we take details and photos if necessary, and had it to the authorities.
I'm not taking about any sort of vigilante action.

The point was also made that, it could be seen that the majority of prospectors will not tolerate this sort of behavior any more, and therefore be taken as an indicator or our good intent. It might just earn us some brownie points with them.

I'm sure the "Greenies" don't need us to tell them about all the wrong doings out there. The evidence is easy to find. The same could not be said for our efforts to stamp it out.

Just my thoughts. I really don't have any better suggestions, legal ones anyway.

Cheers, Ron.

I leave you guys alone for 5 minutes and you get into trouble, I guess I'll have to stay and ride shotgun the next time.
See you out there next week guys
cheers deepblue
Still no water!!!!!

Latest posts