Thanes Creek QLD Queensland information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. My father uncle and myself have scratched
around Thanes creek a fair bit. Lol , we did the same gully just past the railway crossing and no show in the pan for us either but it did look promising :).
The gold in your picture is pretty much the size that we have found right long Thanes creek with a very rare show of anything much bigger. The fossicking area has produced just as much gold for us than anywhere alse we have tried along the creek. I was there in March this year and was happy with what I had found. Theres alot of clay when you go down in the creek which really makes it difficult to make ready to pan. Nice little spot great area ill be there again sometime in June for another scratch around.

Great post G0lddigg@, curious to know more about the quartz with the brown in it, is it a good indicator? I found a piece almost identical on my last trip which also had green in it, I broke it open and the green was bordering on a peacock colour, still in the shed waiting to be crushed properly.

Hi golddigg, Thanes was the first place I ever wet a pan! Very pretty area. It has been hit pretty hard over the years and I find better results in the local state forests that are close by. Plus, they are a great area to explore- need to watch out for the ticks though!

My dog Nelson, always has a tick collar on 2-3 weeks before we go out there. Been lucky so far with ticks. I am using Bravecto which gives 3mths flea and 4 mths Tick prevention. $45.00
Jaros :p

Haha. I found some old wash there one trip where there was no fine gold at all but every second pan had a clunker in it of about 0.3g. Lol I got so obsessed with panning as much as I could, I didn't realise I had three ticks on me. I hate them. ?

Shingles said:
Hi Golddigg, Thanes was the first place I ever wet a pan! Very pretty area. It has been hit pretty hard over the years and I find better results in the local state forests that are close by. Plus, they are a great area to explore- need to watch out for the ticks though!
Howdy.Just a friendly heads up mate. Not sure how long ago you were out that way but most of the Leyburn state Forrest has been pegged out with claims. Dunn's gully area is a no go zone. They are activity watching out for prospectors in that area I know this for a fact.. No one gave a hoot before the gold prices rocketed but its pretty much pegged out now. Word is the state Forrest on the out skirts of, and areas around the Glendon caravan park heading west on your left (not far from the Thanes creek turn off ) is the same. Although I haven't seen that area myself, I have seen the changes at Leyburn and have no reason to doubt that area is the same.So yeah' things have changed considerably out that way if your planning a trip out to tackle the state Forrest area's. As you know these area's have some of the best pickings for both panning and detecting just a friendly heads up they've really clamped down. Cheers

No worries mate, thanks for the info. I prospect in Talgai and durakai state forest, which certain parts are designated public fossicking areas. That battle was hard fought, and I doubt it will be over turned. They've only been open for a couple of years. I did hear about leyburn and try and stay clear as I can't afford the fines.
If we stay within the law and respect the land, then hopefully I will be teaching my grandkids how to prospect in the years to come. :)

G'day every one

I just got back from a 24hr non stop gold hunt no sleep only cofee breaks

Now we hit up durikai state forest 1st picked the spot that was close to glendon camp grounds I did some research on the dangers out there snakes and dog were the top 2 followed by hunters no one said any thing about the huge ants that come out after dark ! They hurt now saying that we went to the extream we did not camp there as your not allowed but we did stay there untill 2am then left had plenty of light useing bright leds and it was nice and cool with a speckle of rain
At 2 we decided to make the dive out to thanes creek it's hard to find in the dark I had done little research witch was my down full but we found it and to my disappointment holes every were junk in holes it was like a land fill in some spots i filled in about 20 or 30 holes I lost count i all so took a bag full of rubbish away with me ! It's the right thing to do and I'm not lazy like all them pigs that left there junk behind.
We stayed there till 11 then left for home our finds were 0.6 grams and over 30 old bullet shells
Next time pick a camp ground and stay for a week I think people will say we are crazy I see it as if you have the right ppe and equipment any thing is possible

The area has been really well done over, buts still a place to practice the art of fossicking. Things like panning, map reading, using your personal tracking gear etc. It does have stories of success, very rare. Nice to live with the massive variety of birds and Kangas hopping everywhere.
Jaros :p

Latest posts