Thanes Creek QLD Queensland information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
got told there is no gold left at the public fossicking ground but after giving it a go we dug a hole (sry the wife dug the hole I just had an operation soo I was chief panner lol) in the creek bed and found .05g on our first ever go at fossicking . it may not be much but we found it where people said there was none! :D :D :D

Great first up effort ... obviously most of the credit must go to Mrs Beans for digging in the right spot. There's always a chance even though an area has been well searched previously.
Sometimes they dig in the wrong spot, sometimes their panning skills aren't up to scratch.
Cheers Tom

Well done.Have you been out to Glendons yet? All ways come back with something.

thebeans said:
got told there is no gold left at the public fossicking ground but after giving it a go we dug a hole (sry the wife dug the hole I just had an operation soo I was chief panner lol) in the creek bed and found .05g on our first ever go at fossicking . it may not be much but we found it where people said there was none! :D :D :D

hi mate, have you been back since?

Good work...you did better than me and my brother and old man. We only found one small speck in a crevice in the creek bed.

Cheers,
Matt

I spent about 45 minutes at the public area in thanes and found 5 colours in about 15 pans and from the middle of the creek...it's definately still there

30 apr 1892
A splendid lot of gold was brought to town
on Saturday from Darkey Flat. It weighed
over 28oz., including a nugget of over 5oz. This
gold is the production of three men's work for
leas than one week. A resident of Warwick
holds another sample, including two nuggets
weighing over 4oz. each. Warden Maofarlane
Btarts to-morrow for the scene of operations.
The Warwick Examiner publishes the follow
ing :We have been shown several nuggets of
gold purchased from a miner who has been
prospecting for the past week or more near
Dunn's Gully, a spot near Darkey Flat, and
about twenty-three miles from Warwick.
About three weeks ago we alluded to an
alluvial discovery having been made by a
couple of prospeotors named Merrick and
O'Neill, at the head of Mud Flat, near Dunn's
Gully, in the vicinity of the Talgai goldfield.
They had then two nuggets of gold, weighing
respectively 4oz. and 4soz. The paragraph
which appeared apparently had been copied
into other papers in the colony, and as a result
the latest arrival, who has dropped on a very
fair find, hails from Rockhampton, at which
place he states he noticed the paragraph. He
came down, and having taken a liking to the
locality commenced grubbing for the precious
metal. The first day, we understand, he
unearthed the 4oz. nugget, and pursuing his
success he found several other coarse lumps,
weighing from oz. down. These are almost
pure, containing but very little quartz. We
hear that Mr. Draydon, of Darkey Flat, has
also been successful in his vicinity, having
found a nugget weighing slightly over
440z. That a large amount of gold in
this looality can be found with proper
working there is not the slightest doubt, for
yesterday afternoon we were informed that
since the find above reported another miner in
about the same place picked up four pieces
weighing about loz. each since Monday dinnerFix this text
time. Our informant says that there are about
three miles of virgin soil on tho Flat near the
find that only requires working to open up the
hidden wealth.
A Warwick correspondent writing on Monday
says :"Lost week Messrs. Barnes, Archibald,
and Co. purchased about 100 worth of nuggets
brought in by a few miners from Dunn's Gully.
On Saturday I was shown a nugget almost pure,
weighing soz. which was found on the surface,
and several smallor, about tho size of nuts.
These latter were perfectly pure. The miners
on selling their gold immediately returned to
the field, and are sanguine about being even
more successful in a few days. Several persons
this morning have inspected the nuggets, and
the news of this latest find is causing quite a
Btir."
The good old days!!!!!
:) Mick

Hey crew just got back from QLD and thought i'd share a bit about some of the places i went.
Thanes creek was on the list but there didn't seem to be much info on the net when i was looking so here's some pictures.
Well I had it on good word that the gold here was small and hard to find but i didn't let that put me off, it was a 4 hour round trip from Kalbar to Thanes creek road i got a little bit after a few test pans and was able to locate the gold bearing wash but the rain kept hammering down in spurts of 20 mins at a time so once i'd found it and gotten a few flakes for the vial i was off home content with a sample of my collection.

This spot does not allow highbankers, if it did the gold is easily gotten but you need to use your brain a bit there's broken up granite everywhere which makes sampling a bit hard.

here's the info for those up that way who want to get away fro a sneaky pan http://www.qld.gov.au/recreation/activities/fossicking/south-east/thanes-creek/

Heading off weather not looking too good... I left the gumboots at home..... soggy boots here we come
1420511139_20141228_100106.jpg

train crossing just after thanes creek road turnoff - there was a gully just in here with a creek that had cut the bedrock right back but after 6 test panns i gave up the ghost.
1420511139_20141228_113700.jpg

1420511139_20141228_120522.jpg

1420511139_20141228_120816.jpg

bring your lift with you :) there were a few worse gullies than this one....
1420511139_20141228_121339.jpg

1420511151_20141228_121414.jpg

1420511151_20141228_122502.jpg

1420511151_20141228_122504.jpg

1420511151_20141228_134234.jpg

1420511151_20141228_135405.jpg

1420511169_20141228_141255.jpg

1420511169_20141228_162854.jpg

this is an area above the prospecting area and the washout here had quartz the size of my fist rolling down the hill... from my research this hill hosted the reef that the gold was being deposited from which makes sense based o what i found below.
1420511169_20141228_170832.jpg

1420511169_20141228_182903.jpg

thats Bollow keeping an eye on the truck while dads having a beer :)
1420511176_20141229_121454.jpg

Thats heaps greener than when I got out there and heaps better gold aswell.

Great pics ther GD, thanks for sharing.

I used to frequent Thanes creek fairly often when I lived up that way 15 odd years ago , and used to find stacks of gold ......

Though it was gold of the Perch variety ;) :p , some of the fattest yellowbelly ive ever seen ...

hahah true not surprised considering the massive deep bodies of water about. might have a flick next time

G0lddigg@ said:
maybe we could talk the land owner into letting us on somewhere with a highbanker mate :)

Yeah mate, When I went there was someone camped up in what looked like a fairly long term camping spot on the other side of the creek and down a bit, plenty of water there for the highbanker and he was probably living off the yellow belly too.

Not many people living out that way and surely someone would let you on there for a scratch

Cheers mate. Some good show and tells of late. All these stories just keep getting me wound up to get among it! Great share.

I wish that was a bucket..thats my seive submerged in rain.. i left my bucket at home like a fool... believe me i got a sore kneck from this place the geology was amazing. Blues reds greens right throught the quartz and grannits.

Oooo-aaah,..case of too big for the sieve ,...maybe(hope not).
dwt said:
Cool stuff GD, I swear that looks like a piece of gold in pic 9, with the bucket full o dirt :D

Hi GD,

Great to see mate, I think I am a 3 and a half hour drive from Thanes, going to plan an over night trip out that way some time, perhaps when it cools a little or after a nice big rain..... will have to make sure the roads are not under though, don't have a 4WD sadly....

Thanks for sharing

good gear HH its a bloody nice drive anyway i'm always smiling up there during the wet season... some of those cows look like they really needed a a feed. i'm sure you will do well. have fun out there mate

It looks like a great drive GD, well, I guess so long as I take a pair of gumboots I should be fine, really looking forward to having my very own adventures and sharing some photos of the yella stuff.

Cheers

HH

Latest posts