Teknetics G2 and G2+ information, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brought a teknetics G2 yesterday and was wondering if anyone can let me know what items ring up roughly what number? for example a $2 coin is 68 - 70. or does it vary for different soil conditions?

From air tests ive done i got this so far
Ring pull - 60
5c coin - 54
20c coin - 66
9ct gold ring - 56
white gold ring - 46
pepsi can - 82 (if can is on its side)
- 87 (if can is on its end)
foil - 75

Look up the target ID charts for AT Pro (Garret) G2 is very close.

What is the maximum depth that the G2 can id those targets at
without losing or the ID numbers not changing?

Would 6" be a fair estimation?

Thanks

Joe

8-9" on coin sized objects in soils that balance below 70. If you are balancing above 70 then you will lose a lot of depth the higher above 70 you are.

As the TID loses ability to hold a solid ID the ID will slide down the scale. If you are balancing above 70 and would only normally dig targets above (say) 75 then you might need to adjust down.

During the time I spent with my Teknetics T2 I would dig items that ID in the 60 range at indicated depths of 12" and greater with a fair chance they would be pre decimal coins - penny, florin etc. A 60 at 3" would not get dug as I know the ID at 3" is accurate, at 12" it is drifting downwards.

After eagerly awaiting the arrival of my G2, it finally rocked up via courier today. Very interesting little detector, extremely lightweight (bought for the missus to use), great discrimination features, and very capable on my small test nuggets. Picked it up for half the price of a new one, and it looks like it has barely seen a days detecting, a great alternative to the Goldbug Pro, and with what I reckon is the better shaft setup of the two. The G2 will mainly be used as a coin/jewellery detector for now, should be fun to give a run over some of my recently detected areas. :)

1408080733_img_20140815_150357.jpg

1408080763_img_20140815_150004.jpg

TTKooAu said:
I'm still waiting for my Eurotek Pro to arrive, held up in customs according to Aussie Detectors :mad: .
Look forward to hearing how the G2 goes.

Not in stock in aust. ? bugga. you might as well have got one ex U.S. yourself.

slipped disc said:
TTKooAu said:
I'm still waiting for my Eurotek Pro to arrive, held up in customs according to Aussie Detectors :mad: .

Not in stock in aust. ? bugga. you might as well have got one ex U.S. yourself.

Yeah, I had thought about it. Just spoke to Brad at AD's and they have been released from customs, I should have it by mid next week :)

TTKooAu said:

I have been using the G2 for a little while now, mainly for coin shooting more so than on goldfields. It doesn't get the depth that my explorer gets, but that is expected considering the high frequency it runs. It is a very useful detector in extremely trashy ground, and where EMI can play havoc with the explorer, almost to the point of being unusable. Thanks to its dual processors and extremely fast recovery speed, it manages to pick up coins amongst all sorts of rubbish in discrimimation mode, and still achieve respectable depth. You can also run very high sensitivity levels without it becoming unstable in most areas.

At the beach on wet sand, the G2 will successfully ground balance and operate with minimal falsing, but take it in the water itself and you will find it is a different matter. This is a very light detector, which makes it a pleasure to use for long periods, just have to remember that it runs a mono jack for when using headphones. Yes it loves aluminium bottle caps, but that is expected for a detector designed for low to med conductivity targets like gold, so digging up larger coin sounding aluminium targets are part and parcel of using this detector. Despite being designed for low conductivity targets, it still does very well on high conductivity coins such as silvers and copper/bronze coins, and you can discriminate out all pull tabs and foil targets without losing the major decimal and pre-decimal coins. I tend to just run with just iron knocked out for the beach, so as to include most gold jewellery targets.

One feature I really like is having VCO tones on high conductivity targets in discrimination mode, so you can run with no threshold, but the G2 will cut into VCO tones when over a high conductivity target like a pennies, half pennies $1, $2 and silver coins. Lower conductivity targets will give off low tones, with iron cut out altogether, depending on where the discrimination control is set at.

Going by the strength of the VCO tones, you can get a good idea of the target depth without having to rely on the screen depth meter.

For the price, and considering this detector is primarily a gold vlf, it should probably be considered as a competant all-rounder that is very capable on coinage, as well as having true beach detecting ability, unlike most gold oriented detectors. :)

0.3 grams, and 2.5 grams, although it means next to nothing being air testing, will be a different story on depth in mineralised ground. Will also pick up salt from your hands, so have to be careful when doing air tests.

The teknetics are a very intuitive range, and you have highlighted beautifully the advantages. My Fisher is the same in terms of being very light weight, nothing like the old garrett I had when I was younger. This in part has been some of the reason I haven't committed to the upgrade to a different platform despite the obv advances.

What price would someone pay for this new metal detector I'm selling one won't go under 1000 dollars message me right now if tour keen to buy. but it pick up only Melbourne.

Latest posts