Are People Being Realistic

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

G'day

I was just wondering what is up with some people these days, and also what are others thoughts on the subject?, as I am undecided whether some people really think they have a chance or are they just having some fun at another persons expense due to being either stupid, bored or just because they are

I have had several items for sale on Gumtree, and if you have ever sold on Gumtree you would have probably been subject to, and know all about the usual pitfalls like the contact from scammers, questions from people wanting to know something that you have clearly explained in your description of the article, and the inevitable "is this still available" or are you negotiable on the price when you have clearly marked it as "negotiable" after the price, it defies logic that these questions are asked in light of all the information that you carefully provided in hope of avoiding these questions in the first place, it got me to wondering if maybe when your listing is viewed on some devices some parts of the information is not viewable, this I dismissed because I have searched the listing by other means and found that all of it is clearly there to be seen, so this just takes me back to either some people are just unable to read and comprehend what you have written, or they are just yanking your chain, or are just plain stupid, I am unsure but definitely leaning towards the latter.

The trend now has moved on to people who will make offers and then not respond to your acceptance of their offer, and you never hear back from them, you have to ask why they bother if they have no intention of going ahead with it or, are they just yanking your chain, or are they just plain stupid?, they just waist your time responding back to them or have not thought it out before hand before making the offer in the first place, or just realized you are in a different state to them after not bothering to read your listing properly in the first place, I have found all of these have applied in some cases.

The latest one is offering seriously low ball offers, to me negotiable means a price that both parties are happy with?, I don't call a 1/2 or 1/3 of the asking price a fair offer, its just rude and offensive and a waste of both parties time, who would really believe in their minds that a person would take such a low offer, I guess its sometimes people just trying their luck but in every case its just wasting their time and yours, I immediately delete their message without response as its not worth bothering with, so they will never get a look in again as if they were genuinely interested in the first place they would not make a stupid offer anyway.

Must be a sign of the times and I reckon it has a lot of it has to do with the fact that they can get away with it on these sites because their is little or no chance of any retaliation or come back for being a nuisance anyway, I guess it is what it is and part of the game, but in my mind its no different to being an internet troll and causing nuisance to others just because they can.

cheers

stayyerAU

My biggest problem is advertising something for a bargain or even for free. First person rings up. Yeah mate can come tomorrow, will definitely take it, blah blah. Then don't show after you have told everyone else it's been taken even worse is when you organise your day to be home when they show up. I wouldn't do that to someone else.

Goldfreak said:
My biggest problem is advertising something for a bargain or even for free. First person rings up. Yeah mate can come tomorrow, will definitely take it, blah blah. Then don't show after you have told everyone else it's been taken even worse is when you organise your day to be home when they show up. I wouldn't do that to someone else.

Yes have had that happen often. 8.(

There are less controls on Gumtree. You play the game you take the risks.
Don't tell other offers that an item is sold until it has gone out the door and is paid for.
It is very natural for people to make an offer much lower than the asking price, it is human nature.
Of course people are going to ask if an item is still available, they know how GumTree works.
If I see something for sale in a shop that is 40km away I will check to see if it is still available before going to the shop.
You stand a much higher chance of being scammed on Gumtree than on Ebay.

I do not like Gumtree. :argh:

Many years ago we gave away free, 2 wardrobes a dressing table and mirror and two bedside tables. Those who rang was told it was outside under the front verandah and it was a first in first served basis, I would not be home to help. I did this because like many of us I was tired of people saying they would come but dont.
My youngest daughter happened to drop in when a bloke and his missus and two kids arrived to pick it up but he was beaten to the punch by a couple of blokes who had arrived the night before and loaded it all into a large Toyota van. He got abusive and called my daughter every name under the sun, Ive driven ten kilometres to get this, blah, blah, blah. My daughter who is a straight shooter told him the the blokes that came last night travelled 50kms, loaded up in the dark and if he cared to take it up with me that he had left his run too late, he probably shouldnt because the response wouldnt be favourable.
Given upon gumtree, I offer what I have to family and friends, no takers, anything worth selling goes to the Lions Club of Richmond in western Adelaide for them to sell and monies go to charity.

First in first served.... If they want the item, they will come and get it.... I sold a roof rack last week, A 'fellow' made an offer, and I accepted it...

But I sent the following, " I accept your offer for Today ONLY, If not picked up by the end of the Day , I will take that as you don't really want it, Item will be marked sold when you take the item.."...

He didn't get back to me by set time, so I sold it to someone else for the advertised price... :)

People are Bored ATM, so they turn to places like Gumtree and market place , just to reply with no intention of ever purchasing...

These are the pitfalls of selling items these days using the Internet, So I just accept it and move on... So many sellers also forget to remove the listing when sold as well....

LW...

I have a boat for sale on Gumtree and so far no one has made a stupid offer and no one has come to look at it (after saying they would). I have had enquiries many of which were just stupid questions and several have asked for extra photos of certain items, I must say that the great majority were playing a game to see how how long they could string someone along.

Ebay is no longer an option for used goods as they just keep increasing their fees and postage costs are getting out of hand, you may as well give it away.

G'day

I will give you an example of what you have to deal with sometimes, a few weeks back I had a person call about an electric chain saw that I had advertised on Gumtree, it went something like this.

Call 1, Hi do you still have the electric chain saw for sale, I said yes and the person goes on to say I am interested in it would you hold it for me for a couple of days, I say well best if you call me when you are ready, as I don't like to hold things as people often don't turn up or even let you know they don't want it anymore, (happened to me several times now) person says oh but I am honest and will do the right thing, whats your account details and I will put the money in your account, and whats your address as well, then goes on to say they should be able to get here tomorrow mid day, I said well ok I would rather you pay me on pick up, person says ok I will call you and let you know.

Call 2, very late in the afternoon the next day, sorry cant make it today, can I come tomorrow, will be in the morning, I say yep ok, see you then

Next day hang around the place expecting the person to call for the address, day goes by and no call, so I just assume the person has changed their mind, early evening and I get a call, sorry could not make it today (some reason given) can I come early tomorrow for it at say 9, I say ok trying to do the right thing and be polite although getting annoyed now, missus says to me this person is just playing a game with you?

Next morning I get a text message around 9, I am leaving home now can I have your address, immediately I send the address, waiting, waiting, no show, day goes by and get a phone call, the person says I got to the end of the freeway and as you didn't send me your address I did not know where to go so I head further south and am now at the brothers place, and will have to come for it tomorrow, I said well I sent the address straight away so do you have it now? person says yes I have it, can I come and get it tomorrow, by now I have had my next day planned for me and have to do something and will only be home until 10 am, so I say well I have to go out by ten can you come in the morning for it as the person is now only about 15 mins away from me, person says what time will you be home?, I go on to say I have no idea as I didn't know and could not commit to a time.

I say to this person, by this time I have had enough already, and I said again like I said before can you come for it in the morning before ten as I have to go out and have no idea what time I will be home, I have waited for two days now and tomorrow is day three so to be fair if you want it can you come for it, anyway person loses the plot and says to me " I don't like your attitude", I am thinking wtf you have messed about for two days and now want to mess me about tomorrow as well?, so this nut job now in a flap hangs up on me.

Within minutes I get a ten line text message outlining what a w****r I am and that I need to change my attitude as they had done the right things and so on, I am absolutely furious by this time, I don't respond afraid of what I might say to this fruit cake. :mad:

Another text arrives same sort of crap, I don't respond, cant be bothered with this idiot anymore. :mad:

Another text arrives, "I am blocking you now" now I am happy :perfect:

cheers

stayyerAU

I'v sold a number of times on gumtree and there are some serious dimwits about. May be a detector with 2 coils. You state "as a package, will not sell seperate" then you get half a dozen questions on how much for just the coil. Or "Will not post, pick up only" then get offers from the other side of Oz asking how much the postage would be to Darwin or Cairns.
Just be nice and polite, bite the tongue and just sell to the non idiot sounders even if you have to wait.
I dont deal with texters that instead of ringing where you get to sound them out they comunicate with stupid imbicile abreviations of letters and numbers like school kids on a bus.

Sandta said:
Unfortunately ... that person now has your address :mad:

And also knew when you won't be home... NEVER say that to them.....

Name a time and that's all... Not when you will and wont be home...

You were lucky nothing happened... Yet....

funny how no one has mentioned the old 'Oil Rig' and 'sending an Agent' scam... They are popular ones too.... :)

LW...

StayyerAU said:
G'day

I was just wondering what is up with some people these days, and also what are others thoughts on the subject?, as I am undecided whether some people really think they have a chance or are they just having some fun at another persons expense due to being either stupid, bored or just because they are

I have had several items for sale on Gumtree, and if you have ever sold on Gumtree you would have probably been subject to, and know all about the usual pitfalls like the contact from scammers, questions from people wanting to know something that you have clearly explained in your description of the article, and the inevitable "is this still available" or are you negotiable on the price when you have clearly marked it as "negotiable" after the price, it defies logic that these questions are asked in light of all the information that you carefully provided in hope of avoiding these questions in the first place, it got me to wondering if maybe when your listing is viewed on some devices some parts of the information is not viewable, this I dismissed because I have searched the listing by other means and found that all of it is clearly there to be seen, so this just takes me back to either some people are just unable to read and comprehend what you have written, or they are just yanking your chain, or are just plain stupid, I am unsure but definitely leaning towards the latter.

The trend now has moved on to people who will make offers and then not respond to your acceptance of their offer, and you never hear back from them, you have to ask why they bother if they have no intention of going ahead with it or, are they just yanking your chain, or are they just plain stupid?, they just waist your time responding back to them or have not thought it out before hand before making the offer in the first place, or just realized you are in a different state to them after not bothering to read your listing properly in the first place, I have found all of these have applied in some cases.

The latest one is offering seriously low ball offers, to me negotiable means a price that both parties are happy with?, I don't call a 1/2 or 1/3 of the asking price a fair offer, its just rude and offensive and a waste of both parties time, who would really believe in their minds that a person would take such a low offer, I guess its sometimes people just trying their luck but in every case its just wasting their time and yours, I immediately delete their message without response as its not worth bothering with, so they will never get a look in again as if they were genuinely interested in the first place they would not make a stupid offer anyway.

Must be a sign of the times and I reckon it has a lot of it has to do with the fact that they can get away with it on these sites because their is little or no chance of any retaliation or come back for being a nuisance anyway, I guess it is what it is and part of the game, but in my mind its no different to being an internet troll and causing nuisance to others just because they can.

cheers

stayyerAU
:lol: :lol: So how much do ya want for it ?? ;) ;)

Gumtree - met a bloke at an agreed place to sell an item at an agreed $340. He turned up on time but says he only had $300. So I just walked away and he abused me lol.
Similar story for a small $10 item, only offered $5, so I put an axe through it in front of him . The look on his face I'll never forget.

Australia is full of idiots that have never been subject to any form of discipline & think the world revolves around them, your word, honour or doing the right thing is something very foreign to them, it's all about them, don't let them get you down, their not worth --------(enter own appropriate text)

guipago said:
Australia is full of idiots that have never been subject to any form of discipline & think the world revolves around them, your word, honour or doing the right thing is something very foreign to them, it's all about them, don't let them get you down, their not worth --------(enter own appropriate text)
Not just Australia mate.

Latest posts