Team Bogan 2015 Beach Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulmarr

Paul
Reaction score
Hunt #1

Hi Everybody and Happy New Year!

I thought I would start a new thread and name it appropriately so other members know it is not a general beach find thread dump but it's OUR beach find thread dump for 2015.

After all the great finds members have been posting to start the year off, Team Bogan thought it would be good to have a swing at the beach with the promise of a storm and 90kph winds ...

We haven't been out in a month or two - and we didn't get the winds or much rain - and the beach is still sanded in ... Here are our finds ...

A62D3863-48A7-4FA6-934E-B1AFD44C2796_zpstjtxxqts.jpg

We have a group of vintage bottle tops, pull tabs, and oh yeah ... GOLD BABY!

81417900-7DF0-47C1-A007-4ADE79BA5605_zpsh77tekgv.jpg

Misplaced the scales so raided the kitchen and borrowed the mrs scale - 9k and probably a recent drop

9F5FEFC0-6E79-429B-BDF0-5D9C60A2C8B2_zpsse6hpyvk.jpg

And here is the moment the CTX and SA Bogan does it again ...

[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/E2wgWNKevak[/video]

Well done guys, nice way to start off 2015. Recent drops are probably the only viable beach finds at the moment, not much wind from these storms either.

New thread from team Bogan. .. sounds good to me. Best of luck gents, hope its your best year yet.

Nice bling

I hope the server crashes under the weight of the Team Bogan finds this year :lol: :D :lol:

Yeah I reckon it needs to be broken in :D
It's amazing what pops up in the gumtree application when your on the home screen looking at what's nearby. I wasn't even looking and I saw it in the list!

Hunt #2

Team Bogan went out for a rare day hunt on an Adelaide metro beach for two hours and here are the finds ...

3C57782E-7B22-4C00-86D0-3E88409D77B6_zpsxxuyuqzo.jpg

Nothing to crow about ... But we were both very excited to find ... SINKERS! Why you ask? Well firstly our beaches have been sanded in meaning little to no targets - not even bottle caps or pull tabs - nothing! Secondly where ever you find sinkers if there is gold it should be right there in the neighbourhood. No gold today but we knew if it was there we were in the right place to find it!

So over a dozen sinkers in a 10 mtr x 10 mtr patch

34275EC6-D57E-4ED9-B4B4-E993B369C230_zpsjt8he65j.jpg

A few clad coins, 3 x brown buggers, and a coin we first thought was a three pence ...

BCD91064-EF01-4FFF-AA62-1A330C98FA4C_zpsyafjxaf4.jpg

But it is even smaller than a three pence so I think we will need to clean this one up to see what it really is ...

F561C815-986A-4FF0-9FF5-0DC899779C14_zpsxn3xokhl.jpg

And a earring and a chain which are both Junkers...

And now the sorry story of the day - today was the first time in over twelve months (and the very first time for both of us) that we had an altercation with another detectorist on the beach. We are both very disappointed. :|

When we arrived we spotted a fellow looter who was several hundred metres down the beach. As we approached the detecting area we could see his holes he didn't fill and his shovel trail lines. Bogan approached a few of the holes to find a target signal still in the hole. Yes, you guessed it, he was leaving his junk in the hole! I have a big problem with folks doing that, mostly because if they leave it behind we will find it again after the next tide, but I also pride ourselves on leaving an area better than we found it. Anyhow, we proceeded to detect and found coin and jewelry targets where he had been already so we knew what we were dealing with. About 45 minutes goes by and when I look up I see our "mate" getting closer to us. He managed to get in between us, two children in tow. The kids came close to me and said hello, I gave them a "howsitgoinmate" and continued to detect hoping they would go back to wherever they came from. I then saw the kids approach the other guy and thought ... "Good go bother him instead" but it turned out he was their father. A few minutes later I could hear him trying to yell to me - saying my detector was interfering with his. Not wanting to start anything, I ignored his whinging, and with my back turned toward him I kept detecting. A couple of more minutes before he appeared in my line of sight saying something which I could not hear. Took off a headphone ear and heard him again complaining about detector interference. I shrugged my shoulders and kept detecting. He moved on to Bogan now - and caught his attention. He started waffling on about how he was on the beach first and we were infringing on his workspace, and that we should be observing etiquette. Bogan brought up his junk and leaving it in the holes, and he says " I got both my kids with me, I can't do everything!" Well, blow me down, he keeps up with his lip so I thought I would now get involved. I said "you don't own the beach mate" - he made me repeat myself and then said we were lucky his kids were there or he would take it further.

Mind you - this guy is five foot five, dragging a garden spade around, and he wants to have a go with two guys over 6 foot with metal handed shovels in there hands? :p I guess he was lucky his kids were there I would say....

We have had fellow looters detect within 10 feet of us and got along fine ... I guess we just found the dhead - our misfortune.

I hope this guy is not a member here - gives us all a bad reputation - there were beach goers witnessing the whole saga.

Night time is certainly more attractive now!

Not good to hear, that's pretty much why I never bothered to go out after new years or detecting during the day, too many detectorists in the same place at the same time, obviously some with a chip on their shoulder. I think I will stick to night hunts thanks very much, not worth putting up with the aggro. :(

What an arse. I just started with the hobby, I like that we clean the beaches and parks and sometimes get rewarded for it. It's fun! Why people are so awful about it, beats me.. What detector did he have that was so superior? Haha

that's crap - what a smeghead.

Conversely I see a bloke on Williamstown beach with a detector, walk up say hello & he recognizes me (which is why I've changed my avatar)...have a chat. Turns out he's on this forum. Check out his detector and now I'm saving for a PI machine.

Hi Andrew [waves].

Thanks guys - yes we thought the same thing ... Had he come over and said g'day we would have been more than accommodating but to just start attacking was something we thought was left in grade school - "I was here first" mentality. Just like fishing from a jetty when old mate decides to set up right beside you and cross your lines within minutes. You just smile - untangle the line and get on with enjoying your day. I'm afraid the society of today is in trouble, but I guess that is what each older generation thinks as time passes.

MrCornford said:
What an arse. I just started with the hobby, I like that we clean the beaches and parks and sometimes get rewarded for it. It's fun! Why people are so awful about it, beats me.. What detector did he have that was so superior? Haha

I think he was using an old black sovereign but then again I wasn't close enough to him to tell! I do know he needs some practice for sure - which is lesson for all of us - whenever I see a detectorist I want to cover the area he did to find all the targets he missed!

I got to laugh though - Bogan and I have to detect away from each other because the Explorer seems to broadcast on a similar band to the CTX. The Sovereign has a Band 1/ Band 2 setting which allows me to switch to the other band if the CTX interferes. But the Explorer seems to bother any brand of detector if you get within 10 metres of it - so it is a looter repellant! :D

Paul, have you tried to manually change the Explorer frequency? I usually have to do a noise cancel with the x-pointer being reasonably close to the coil, and let the Explorer chose a non conflicting frequency to work on. You can actually see the x-pointer go off as the Explorer runs through the various fequencies searching for the quietest one. :)

I was down at a beach in my home area last night and bumped into a friendly detectorist swinging an Excalibur 1000. A great chat and as leaving a middle aged couple were just coming down with some small detectors of their own. Apart from a mate of mine (who's on this forum) it was the first in-person interaction I'd had with another detectorist.

Loving the posts from team bogan

Latest posts