Teaching the Kids to Pan

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1467197958_img_20160629_5452.jpg
1467197915_img_20160629_11647.jpg
Hi all
With all the rain SA has in the last week or two I thought I would take the kids out to teach them how to pan for gold ,it didnt take long for them to get the hang of it and started to jump up and down yelling they found gold
They where also glad that both of there gold was bigger than Dads gold so all in all it was a good day out teaching them something fun
1467197696_img_20160629_38953.jpg
1467197750_img_20160629_20315.jpg
1467197769_img_20160629_36308.jpg
1467197804_img_20160629_24573.jpg
1467197838_img_20160629_30744.jpg

Love it so good to see the kids spending time with Dad and the joy of finding some colour.

Newbie question but are the garnets worth much? I have been working as a stonemason for the last five or so years and always see why I think are garnets and gold specks in slabs of granite and marble. Got a heap of off cuts with garnets with a heap of what I think are red/purple garnets put aside for a rainy day. Just gotta purchase a dremmel to make life easier getting them out

Mick&Co said:
Newbie question but are the garnets worth much? I have been working as a stonemason for the last five or so years and always see why I think are garnets and gold specks in slabs of granite and marble. Got a heap of off cuts with garnets with a heap of what I think are red/purple garnets put aside for a rainy day. Just gotta purchase a dremmel to make life easier getting them out

A picture would be good mate. :)

Some garnets are worth quite a bit and some not so much, the common types are more a semi-precious gemstone. High quality large Almandine and Pyrope garnets can be worth a decent amount after faceting. Roughly $50-$200ct

Tsavorite and Demantoid garnets can be worth literally a small fortune for decent stones. Thousands per carat.

Generally for any gemstone to be worth money they have to be a decent size and generally very clear with no cracks or inclusions.

Cheers for the quick reply. I'll get a couple photos up by the weekend. Only very small ones I've found so far max being 6-7mm diameter.

Hi there THUMPER this was up at Mt Crawford in one of the running creeks all of the creeks up there hold small flour gold .can meet up with you one weekend so you can find out where to start
Mick & co yeh dont know value just think its cool we got something other than gold ?

Roverrock said:
Hi there THUMPER this was up at Mt Crawford in one of the running creeks all of the creeks up there hold small flour gold .can meet up with you one weekend so you can find out where to start
Ah cool thats great! I havent fossicked at Mt Crawford yet. Nice to see running creeks - I was hoping for same at Chapel Hill but no luck, creek is still dry. Thanks for the invite, will give you a shout-out if/when I can make the drive with the lad.

They certainly are cool to look it. That's why I spend my lunch breaks digging little ones out of granite. Found what looks to be small flecks of gold in marble. I've been to mount crawford twice for a wonder around hopefully get up there again soon. Gotta practice this panning thing so when y daughter gets a bit older I can teach her. I haven't found a gold pan for a 1 year old yet

Latest posts