Taking A Detector On A Plane

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anybody help me Im going to the Palmer River next Wednesday and wanted to take my Garret AT Max for my first proper prospecting trip will I be able to take it as carry on in a backpack?I would appreciate any advice thanks

Hi I find it interesting you are heading up to the Palmer because often this time of year you can not get over the river into the Maytown area as the river is up too much Also looking at the weather forecast for Wednesday the monsoon trough is coming down into that area. So if you did get across you have to watch that you do no get stuck
Anyway best of luck?

Im going up with a mate who has a claim up there somewhere hes still keen so all should be good only issue is the BLOODY March flies apparently,what are your thoughts on me taking my detector as carry on as I will need to check in a swag

I hope someone can answer your question about your detector on carry on
But the March flys the only advice I can offer is ware light coloured cloths as there attracted to dark clothing :argh: wish you all the best on your adventure.

When I flew taking my GPX 5000 I declared the battery as its lithium ion. Had to tape the connection end up so nothing could short it out and they were fine with that. May have changed rules again as that was 4 or 5 years ago.

Thanks everyone for the replies I have pulled the detector apart and rolled it into my sway with my cloths with no batteries in so should be no problems as it will go in as checked baggage well see at the boarding gate I guess I cant wait to get to the Palmer and hopefully get some colour.

You will definetly not be crossing the palmer unless your driving a Army duck and you will definitely be giving the road crew plenty of work when it stops raining.

Hi all
I have had no reception where I was I was in Groganville I think its called Im back in Mereeba this arvo after 5 days up there heaps of rain and a $300 chopper charter to get back there is a lot more rain forecast for the rest of the week I will try and post some photos of what I found only with the pan to many hot rocks.A big thank you to Jaros for his email thanks again Im back safely and flying back to Brisbane tomorrow

Latest posts