Star Sapphire

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
most of them are opaque but when you shine the light on them they reflect back. I have found a black golden star which I cannot see through but hold to the sun and it reflects gold strongly, the reflection almost seems to jump off the stone

I have a blueish / purpleish stone / sapphire that almost has a mirror surface to it. Its only a small piece but im curious as to what it is.

doesnt the star expose itself during the cut? I know they get cut more into a cabouchon than facited(buggered that word up).

1389942899_image.jpg

Cut this stone at chrissy cut the shiny bronzy face as the top,heard a bit about stars ,but I can't see a star so I did not finish the polishing of the stone .Do you gus think the star would have shined up better if highly polished??

What you have there mate is hexagonal crystal growth and this never cabs into a star. Stars are usually devoid of growth rings, and generally of a consistent sheen and colour on the surface. Crystal structures like the one you have can make some great pendants. ;)

Cheers Wal.

Thanks Wal up at my dads ,had the gear and thought I would try,happy with it and will finish the polish next time,

Varts..

Worth putting a good polish on it mate, as the crystal structure becomes highlighted and the blue more vivid. Can make some good jewelery with those stones, and no two ever look alike which gives them sort after uniqueness.

Cheers Wal.

After doing some further research I have a feeling it is just a gray sapphire.

Here are 2 pics, 1st one is with water and the second is without.

1389961017_20140115_142233-optimized.jpg

1389961049_20140115_142423-optimized.jpg

Here's a great description of what makes a Star Sapphire. It's the Silk or Rutile needles inside the stone.

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/t-education_sapphires/#Starsaphire
Near bottom of page.

I guess you'd probably need a loupe to see the Rutile needles and how they intersect to judge whether it will cut a star.

If that Grey one is there GT must be more and better colours there.

Nice one Varts, would look great to me as a pendant as Wal suggested.

Latest posts