DAYLESFORD

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to know, cheers mate! But did some more reading through a different 50 year old book and it says it’s wood opal in the gold drifts, how would I hunt the “gold drifts”? is it impossible without full shaft sinking, am I limited to just find mine tailings to work?
Can't help there unfortunately, I'm more of a day tripper and dont end up digging deep. Good luck!

Good to know, cheers mate! But did some more reading through a different 50 year old book and it says it’s wood opal in the gold drifts, how would I hunt the “gold drifts”? is it impossible without full shaft sinking, am I limited to just find mine tailings to work?
'Gold drifts' are the buried layers of gravel in which gold was deposited by erosion and stream/river action millenia ago - see more details here:
https://www.startyourowngoldmine.co...-gold/gold-prospecting-auriferous-drifts.html

Most of these were discovered in the old goldrush days and exploited by subsequent mining activity, so without sinking shafts down to the bedrock level in unmined ground, tailings from old mining are probably your only option.

'Gold drifts' are the buried layers of gravel in which gold was deposited by erosion and stream/river action millenia ago - see more details here:
https://www.startyourowngoldmine.co...-gold/gold-prospecting-auriferous-drifts.html

Most of these were discovered in the old goldrush days and exploited by subsequent mining activity, so without sinking shafts down to the bedrock level in unmined ground, tailings from old mining are probably your only option.
Thanks heaps mate! Kinda what I was thinking, been looking at old geology maps and am trying to pin point areas, I've found where the upper, middle and lower gold drifts are in Pliocene and associated with some mines, but would you know which of the three would be better to find gemstones in the tailings? Won't bother with gold in tailings without a detector, but would be happy to sieve stones for a day :)

Thanks heaps mate! Kinda what I was thinking, been looking at old geology maps and am trying to pin point areas, I've found where the upper, middle and lower gold drifts are in Pliocene and associated with some mines, but would you know which of the three would be better to find gemstones in the tailings? Won't bother with gold in tailings without a detector, but would be happy to sieve stones for a day :)
No, sorry - that's outside my limited knowledge of geology.

Can't help either. Im sure you'll do well with all this research. Make sure you tell us how you do, there's many keen people who would love to revisit this area. Also, do some research on the ridge road quarry in Daylesford. Haven't been there myself, but it seems promising.

No, sorry - that's outside my limited knowledge of geology.
Nah no worries cheers mate! You've helped me out plenty already, I've been searching far and wide but seems minimal info on gems in the GT compared to elsewhere, guess they just always focused on the gold 😅

Can't help either. Im sure you'll do well with all this research. Make sure you tell us how you do, there's many keen people who would love to revisit this area. Also, do some research on the ridge road quarry in Daylesford. Haven't been there myself, but it seems promising.
Cheers mate will look into it, quick google shows it seems VERY close to town, hopefully I can still have a dig there!
Will for sure post updates when I come back :)

Cheers mate will look into it, quick google shows it seems VERY close to town, hopefully I can still have a dig there!
Will for sure post updates when I come back :)
Seems to be crown land and all good, was worried because I saw houses in each direction 😂 tho i would love a house somewhere like that 😂

Latest posts