Some of My Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Have been asked if I could post some of the stuff I have found over the years.

Here they are.

Hope you enjoy them as much as I have enjoyed finding them.

Image 1. The gold ring was found with a Tesoro compadre sitting only about 3" under the bark.
There is a 925 Tiffany piece as well as some fake rings.

Machine Used: Garrett Sea Hunter MK 2, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher CZ3D.

Image 2. A box full of crap and can slaw we all detect and in most cases need to detect to find the good targets.
Have thrown out so much over the years its not funny. I keep these as a reminder of what needs to
be done and used as test pieces. I am working on eliminating the aluminium screw caps and beer
bottle caps with a possible investment in a whites v3i which I think can differentiate between these
and the $1 and $2 coin. Not sure but this is me thinking out load.
The worse culprit is the aluminium screw caps.

Image 3. A mixture of 1c, 5c and 10c pieces.

Those half cent pieces where found by my CZ3D at around 7" in depth in a tot lot. Its one of my favorite
machines for old coin detecting as long as the ground is not too noisy and will never sell the machine. Its
the older type and has been tuned by Tom D who was the designer of this great machine. Best advantage
it has is the discriminator. Switch it on and it will only stop you from hearing those tones discriminated without
losing depth unlike many other machines where you do lose depth once in discrimination mode.

Most of these items were found at a depth of around 5 to 6" in tot lots.

Machine Used: GTP 1350, Fisher CZ3D, Tesoro Dingo.

Image 4. Brings back some memories. I remember hoping in my car driving up to central vic and stopping at a
park near the pool. It took me like 70 minutes to get here it was around 10 am. I knew I was at the right
spot and I would of filled by pockets with goodies but as soon as I got out of the car and had the detector
half out of the boot an old bloke sprung his house door open who lived across across the rd and in nice turns
told me to move on. One thing you don't do in a small country town is debate or argue with anyone.

The button and the really old coin which I think is an english coin was found at a Ghost Town. The place has
been hammered by many over the years but if you know where to look you will find goodies. I first observed
the ground and noticed part of the foundation sticking out. There were 2 old houses side by side with a gap
of a couple of inches in between. Swung the coil over and bang I found the button. The last time the button
was touched by another human had to be more than 100 years ago. Some of the 'green' coins where found at
the beach everything else was found with a Minelab Sovereign more than 15 years ago

Some of those coins were found down at the beach back in the 90's. I was surprised to say the least. Some
other finds were in spots where people got on and off horse coaches.

Machine Used: Whites PI 1000, Tesoro Sovereign, Fisher CZ3D.

Image 5. Some of this years finds. I have not been out as much due to people interfering and not minding
their own business.

Machine Used: Fisher CZ3D, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero.

Image 6. Some of 1c coin collection. The smile these give me is priceless. On the CZ you need to listen to the
chirp and when she chirps you know you have a coin buried down deep. For me its about the challenge and the
find not the actual value of the find. These come in time.

Machine Used: Fisher CZ3D.

Image 7. I am not a gun expert but I think most of these are bullets and among them is a musket ball not sure
which was found in the gold fields 6 weeks back. If you look carefully there is 1 bullet that has not been shot which
I think was dropped by a shooter.

Machine Used: Teknetics G2, Minelab GP 3500.

Glossary

Can Slaw - means chopped up aluminium from aluminium cans mostly run over and munched up by a large ride on mower.
Tot Lot - is a playground kids frequent which has bark on the ground and a variety of swings, slides and so on.

Nice finds there, always like looking at other people's effort/finds awesome. :)

I found a musket ball a while back and the dead giveaway for me was the sand imprints from when they poured it(home made copy job from way back), and no holes like a sinker would have in it. Nice post Wolfau, fancy numbered pic.

Awesome post Wolf. Many great memories and adventures there, great inspiration. One day in the near future I'll have a rummage around and spend some time to try and emulate this post in a similar fashion. Great shares.

Thanks for the replies guys.

There are all sorts of coins there including penies,
three pence i found in a tot lot, couple of tokens
And coins from different countries.

The issue is trying to find a good spot to detect where
You won't be disturbed.

Nice collection Wolf - I take it you haven't been getting out much of late? I am sorry to hear that you get hassled when out there enjoying the hobby ... I find that if there are more than one guy out detecting people are more reluctant to have a go ;)

Nice finds Wolf, pretty rare to get hassled around here, I think a few girls were calling me a nerd or something one day, wish they were a few years older, would have asked one of them out on a date to stir them right up. :)

In the last 12 months i have been hassled 3 times.

I was up in the country and was detecting the side of
The road near an old homestead when a farmer approached
And did'nt like what i was doing.

Then a kid that kept kicking bark at me no matter where
I went he followed then the old man would step in and say
A few words.

Then you had the lady walking the dog only a month back
Who could not help herself and had to challenge me if
I was allowed to do what i was doing.

I while back when i went to the beach you get the odd ohh
watch out here Comes a treasure hunter comment thrown
At you as your making your way to the Water.

Best times to go is as the sun rises.

Weekdays are better.

Doing a midnight run detecting the beach water while
Its still 27 degress is a nice way to stay cool.

I have researched a few old site areas nearby and have
About 5 areas i want to hit. The older areas are the most
Challenging to find. You walk on an old block of land and
You need to figure out how the building once stood and
So on. When you see some of the old photos you quickly
Realise how quickly some suburbs have changed.

I will not be using a beep and dig machine on these sites
Unless i am relic hunting.

Looking back i have never had much luck finding large
Silver coins but for silver coins you need a low frequency
Vlf which should hit them harder.

This is where the v3i comes into play. It runs on 3
frequencies Simultaneously so you get 3 digital read
outs on a target in 3 frequencies. Its Like have 3
detectors side by side. Amazing technology.

I am in the process of selling some gear to fund possibly
A whites v3i which I will enjoy showing off its capabilities
Which will raise some eyebrows I think :)

The V3i has nice tones and is fully programable. It has very
Fast target processing and an excellent discriminator.

The biggest issue is identifying aluminium screw caps
which Can come up as our $1 or $2 coin. I am hoping
There is a work around with the v3i.

I was doing some detector research.

Then decided I needed to buy a coin that was close to conductivity to a gold sovereign
for testing purposes.

Had a look on that auction site then noticed the value of some of my coins.

The '9' I checked with the oldest being an a 1866 and the youngest being 1951.

Going by the bottom dollar you can sell these off cheap not the highest price the total
here is around $400.

Surprised and shocked. Add the value of the gold ring and silver and it slowly jumps up in
value then you have the modern coins I have found over the years so its enough cash to
pay off 2 detectors and fuel.

The button is a T & S LTD BHAM which might stand for Birmingham.

Thanks for all your finds pics Wolf, hopefully we will see some more coming our way soon. :) The White V3i seems to be a real neglected detector in the Minelab saturated Oz market, whether that's down to loyalties or performance, who knows - probably the former. I did notice that they are out of stock on Goldsearch, so somone is buyung them.

I have read that the ctx is better on high mineralisation, and is easier to use vs the overwhelming number of options on the V3i. But the V3i seems to do better on target recovery, and better on gold due to being able to run in single frequency mode vs multi full time. The V3i almost sits somewhere between the Etrac and CTX price wise, yet offers ctx techno and adjustability, but without the waterproofing and gps ability.

I like the fact you can run two pairs of headphones off the one unit, good for letting the missus know when to start digging. :D

Hi goldpick gps on a coin machine is not necessary.
Gps is needed though on a gold Machine so you can
see where the natural occured Targets were found.

In reference to waterproofing i would not want to dunk
A machine in the water that cost me $2600.

I still own my sea hunter and will sell that and either buy
A 2nd hand cz21 or a beach hunter 300 - both multi frequency
machines.

I posted some questions about the ctx with no response
which is dissapointing.

The dealer has been out of stock for 2 weeks now and
There are a few being used in Australia. Tried to
understand The screen on the ctx and could not find
much info.

There are a few things i love about the v3i.

1. The colour screen which is very nice.

2. The ability for the machine to run 3 frequencies
simultanously. Its the only machine that i know
Of that can do this. Its like running 3 detectors
In different frequencies Side by side.

3. Screen cover can be changed if scratched.

4. Ability to create custom programs with custom targets
And naming the designated target what you want to
Call it.

5. Shafts are cheapier to buy with a truckload of coils
Available.

6. Then you have the graphs. The issue with many
Detectors is not having the ability to id the screw cap
From the $1 and $2 coins.

I think i can differeniate these with the v3i.

7. Then you have the superfast processor that can
Process targets really really fast and should find
Some nice finds.

I can see where a gps would be good for logging coin finds, and not having to re-detect worked out areas, but it is not necessarily a deal breaker. From what I can see, they both have their pros and cons, just depends on what your personal requirements are and what features you are after.

Would be good to get to handle both machines, it's pretty hard to know whether you will like a certain detector until you personally use it, regardless of how many reviews, forum posts, and video clips of the concerned detector. At least that is what I have found in the past, some detectors have surprised me, whilst others leave a lot to be desired, despite being very popular.

Anyway, keep us posted if you pick one up, will be interesting to get some first hand thoughts on the V3i in the field. :)

Oh yeah, in regards to getting hassled whilst out detecting, can't say I've had any issues so far, everyone is usually in bed when I am out and about. :D

I will see. Have been sitting on the fence with this one
For a month now.

The ctx 3030 is a very nice machine and i have been
Blown away by some of the deep old coin finds some
People have found. The good thing is you can go out in
The rain with one and its a complete package with wire
Less headphones.

The machine i buy i want to keep for years to come
So need to make the right choice.

Time will tell though.

Latest posts