some help to ID these please!!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi guys
i went to port germein not long ago and on my adventures found some interesting rocks
if you could possibly help me identify them that would be great
this one makes my AT PRO go mental
1415766608_optimized-20141031_212206_lls.jpg

and this one just looked good :)
1415766704_optimized-20141031_212303_lls.jpg

cheers in advance guys
dan ;)

Not knowing the area nor geology specific and not being any expert in geology either, but my 0.02c worth is it looks like pyrite mixed through a sedimentary rock. It looks fine grained, with some smaller pebble size conglomerate. It would appear the pyrite has worked through a fracture or crack in that area ? You have confirmed it is not Gold (Au) pyrite cracks, gold you should be able to stretch, mold a bit etc...

If around the same area the other sample is a mineral and probably something of the calcite group. With some quartz crystals forming through metamorphic activity. These are all good indicators for Gold being in the area. So look around some more and look for some host rocks.

Nice samples, it would be good to use something for size as well, a ruler or a coin something that people can associate with.

So that's my crack, now I will wait for one of the more experienced members to tell me how many bits I got right or wrong :8

Yeah and hard as hell too I tried to smack it with the 4pound hammer and it just bounced off lol.. Yours has a lot more gold stuff through it, the one I got also on one side looked kind of melted almost like slag but im certain it's a rock not slag. Maybe some kind of volcanic rock

G'day dryhorrors

Ok the first one looks like chalcopyrite (copper iron pyrite), the second is gypsum, the second and third look like bornite + chalcopyrite. the bornite is also called peacock ore (I will let you figure out which colour that is), then more gypsum and the others are a mixture of chalcopyrite, bornite and pyrite. The Chalcopyrite is the brassier looking golden colour. This is ore from around the flinders ranges brought down for shipping from the port. Don't know where the gypsum came from but that mineral is often associated with some mines or more likely from salt lake at in the deserts.

Araluen

Digginholes said:
Yeah and hard as hell too I tried to smack it with the 4pound hammer and it just bounced off lol.. Yours has a lot more gold stuff through it, the one I got also on one side looked kind of melted almost like slag but im certain it's a rock not slag. Maybe some kind of volcanic rock
Hi Digginholes

If you have a similar rock from Tuena . it may well be slag. The causeway at Mt Costigan road is made up of it. Another member had a similar specimen

Cheers Paul

Latest posts