Some help needed

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all went for a swing up the farm and came across this with the gp extreme, it was out in the scrub in between granite bolders it's not magnetic and doesn't rust its heavy and hard i tried the bleach test for silver but does not turn black i filed a little and is shiny i ran the eurotek pro over it and it rang up 78 and lead reads 56 so it's not lead and tin is mid to high 90's so it's not tin throwing it out there any thoughts
1443442203_2015-09-28_22.09.27.png
1443442220_2015-09-28_22.08.44.png
1443442236_2015-09-28_22.08.17.png

very interesting mate. not too sure but doesnt look like lead. i found something similar a while ago and also rings up 78. could be lunar meteorite? but im only guessing and have no real proof of that. perhaps slice her open and see what it looks like inside?

would i be right in thinking a meteorite would be smooth from entry into our atmospere

cant be iron as it would give you an iron reading. not silver. and not lead. im curious

Sorry for the late reply mate, it slipped through the threads. Just thinking of some ways in what would make it react. I think..and think..if it reacts with h20, it contains a sodium metal / atom and that hydrochloric acid makes it oxodize. I'd then probably try a drop of sulfuric acid and see what reaction occurs to null out other options but its really something that's getting a bit technical, and I too am having some issues figuring it out.

Here's standard ways to test for unidentifyable rock / minerals:

Scratch / Hardness test
Specific Gravity test
Streak test
Acid Test
Lustre
Color
Cleavage

Specific gravity and hardness tests will be a great start

Latest posts