probs setting up

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok where to start . i took my shiny new 4500 hundred for its maiden run this arvo just for half an hour to see if i could work out how to turn it on and off . got that sorted i set it up the same as stropsy recommended on his you tube clip and it made a hell of a racket i could not work out how to turn the volume down on the pro sonic cos i never read the book so i stuck that in my pocket with the speaker to my leg that made it bearable ( have now read the book so got that sorted ) .
did the auto tune and ground balance but i was still getting a lot of small signals ( i was up the back of my place 86 acres of scrub ) i did find 3 bullets lead bits which screamed at me . but i also noticed if i put the coil over my foot i got a big signal too , my boots are elastic sided slip on type boots by mongrel ( country ) so i thought cant be them anyway after half an hour a the lose of 2 liters of sweat i gave up and came back into town . first thing i did was grab my pin pointer (never had it with me in the bush it lives with the xterra ) an checked the boots , sure enough signals all over them pin pointer went mad , so i reckon they must have some hidden staples in them in the sole or lining .
i am wondering if all the faint signals i was getting almost every swing could be my ground because i am only a stones throw from the silver mine so there would be a heck of a lot of mineral in the ground on my joint . having said all that my place is not where i intend to look for gold i will be going over warwick way for that but i just wanted to play with the machine and see if i could learn anything , which i did , for one thing my new boots are no good for detecting . could the boots of been giving me the signals and not the ground if it only staples from 18 inches away ?
i wont bother with a picture of my 3 projectiles no doubt you have all seen the odd one or two before .
johno

What sort of pin pointer do you have? Some interfere really badly with GPX detectors, especially tbe Garrett ones. Even if the Garrett pin pointer is switched off they interfere badly.

the pin pointer is a black garret , but like i said above it was in town i never took it with me when i was running the 45 cos the pointer stays with the xterra which was 13 klms away . i just cant figure if i never had the machine set up good enough or if the boots were the problem or both . i was sure the new boots were metal free but the pin pointer when i got back to town proved they are not , i am assuming there is some staples some where inside these new mongrel boots . i can under stand steel toe caps setting off the detector cos that a big lump of steel but i would no of thought small staples 18 inches away would affect it .

johno

Garrett ones will cause you loads of issues. Where are you located?
Did you buy your detector new? If so you should have some lessons.
The 4500 is not an easy beast to run for the first time. It will take a little understanding and practice.

Minelab Gold has loads of videos which will help.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv5oE31Me0MK-p7tkhRhjMw

Cheers

a lot of boots have metal in it,even if they appear not to,best to get some that state they're metal free.

they usually cost a bit more but well worth it to know they're not causing it.

the pinpointer was a good test on the boots.

again,this is your first time out,not really knowing what to expect with this detector,you really should book a training day,especially if it's your first minelab PI detector,they're a bit different to other detectors that are silent and only beep when a targets found.

watch some youtube to get the sound of the detector and what to roughly expect if ya can't afford the training.

read that manual and try memorize it.keep it handy to reference out in the field.

texta said:
the pin pointer is a black garret , but like i said above it was in town i never took it with me when i was running the 45 cos the pointer stays with the xterra which was 13 klms away . i just cant figure if i never had the machine set up good enough or if the boots were the problem or both . i was sure the new boots were metal free but the pin pointer when i got back to town proved they are not , i am assuming there is some staples some where inside these new mongrel boots . i can under stand steel toe caps setting off the detector cos that a big lump of steel but i would no of thought small staples 18 inches away would affect it .

johno

Ah no worries, read your first post to fast, thought you had the pin pointer with you.

ok , yeah i did buy the 45 new , yeah it is my first pi machine i have only been running the terra705 for the last 5 or 6 years so this is a whole new ball game . the pin pointer will be going with me when i buy the next pair of boots . ( the boots i wanted i cant get in toowoomba , which is the major center i go to , so thats gunna make it hard ).and i would love to get some tuition but after buying the detector and a 14"elite as well i cant spring for tuition for a while and by the time i can i would maybe of worked it out . plus looks like i am up for another pair of boots and a few other things i need/want was going to buy some gaiters to but that can wait snake bites me and dies that his problem should of left me alone . anyway i have been working around snakes on farms for 20 years and i have only been tagged once so far and most times just wore shorts and blundy boots , its just those sneaky death adders that hide in the leaf litter that worry me around here in the forests. in hindsight i should of skipped the extra coil and put that money on a 1 on 1 lesson but bit late now .

johno

the warbling is normal to a point,you want the smoothest sound that stays at a constant tone. any variation in tone would be a scrape off the top and see if it's repeatable variation.

go watch as many of those videos on the 4500 that HoudiniHarry posted as you can.

only other problem is i have all ways learnt everything from doing rather than being taught i seem to do better that way dont know why i must just not be a good student .a few pointers never go astray though .
johno

just occurred to me to ask if you bought your detector off a minelab dealer or second hand.

there are knockoffs on ebay and gumtree that get around.

you should be able to check the serial number at minelabs website,though even thats not foolproof.

there was some threads about knockoffs and how to spot them.

googling 'fake minelab 4500' should yield something.

malri_au said:
the warbling is normal to a point,you want the smoothest sound that stays at a constant tone. any variation in tone would be a scrape off the top and see if it's repeatable variation.

go watch as many of those videos on the 4500 that HoudiniHarry posted as you can.
yep ok i will , i have already watched quite a few but i will watch more , i did get the nice low hum but i was getting not so much a warble more like a small signal almost every swing apart from the bullets which were far from small , thats what has me wondering if the detector could pick up the very small amout of metal in the boots from the normal detecting distance , if it can there is my problem . best thing would be if i went back out in the scrub in me thongs for a test run and find out .

thanks everyone for the replies i can see a steep learning curve in the next few weeks .

johno

you might also just have highly mineralized ground,so you might need to use some of the other settings which cope better with that.

i don't own a 4500 so i can't much help with the settings.

How mineralised is the ground you are searching. If you watch Minelabs video and fill in the setting sheet you will have the settings. I must say all areas are different. I am in Vic and the soil is very mineralised.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/doc/member-docs/8833/1519559581_4500-template_usersettings.pdf

I note the settings for each coil and area I am searching. Reset the coil back to default.
As mentioned use a lead sinker .5 gram split fly lead. Not a big surf sinker I saw a guy using for a test.

Cheers

i have a silver mine next door to my place so i would say could be fairly mineral in my area also copper only about 1.5 ks away . but saying that its not where i will be doing my future detecting its just where i went to do a bit of a test or trial run on my own block .
and thanks very much for the settings i will go have a look at the message now . i did get a couple of lots of settings from you tube . one from detector mod bloke . one lot from stropsy aussie gold prospecting and one lot from the nugget magnet . they are all very similar with just a few slight variations ..
johno

Latest posts