Some finds from Lowmead

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, nothing facetable in it unfortunately - nice specimen for a display case though.

26363913003_015bd3ef0b_c.jpg

26874089982_8b10e15ccd_c.jpg

Rockhound said:
Lefty said:
ktmman said:
I think it might be time to take my motorbike up to clarkies and do a little off road riding.
Hopefully I can avoid hitting a tree while I'm paying too much attention to the ground.

Yeah, that's the problem isn't it? Once you start looking at the ground, you can't stop :D

I wonder if Clarky could be convinced to open up a part of his show as a little fossicking park?
I was thinking the same thing Lefty.Might be worth having a chat to clarky about opening up a bit of ground for fossicking.Worth a try ;)

now thats a great idea Sure some of us wood stay up there if that was the case so win win from him

My brother seems to think the place covers several thousand acres - plenty of places to look. I always wonder exactly where that big sucker on the shelf behind the bar of the Lowmead pub came from. I'm pretty sure the one there now is the second one. I had heard the original was knocked off, I do seem to remember it being bigger than the one there now, about football size. The current one is smaller but better quality I think, properly transparent.

Good luck mate! Tomorrow would have been a good opportunity for me to go but since it's our wedding anniversary I'd better not push my luck :D

Lefty said:
My brother seems to think the place covers several thousand acres - plenty of places to look. I always wonder exactly where that big sucker on the shelf behind the bar of the Lowmead pub came from. I'm pretty sure the one there now is the second one. I had heard the original was knocked off, I do seem to remember it being bigger than the one there now, about football size. The current one is smaller but better quality I think, properly transparent.

Got a place on tablelands rd near Mt Maria - about 10k as the crow flies from the Lowmead diggings. We got a lot of quartz crystals off the place next door to us years back. The fella that owned the place was walking his boundary and says he tripped over a crystal that he hadnt noticed sticking out of the ground. It was nearly the size of a football but cloudy it was a big big crystal.

If you blokes are still there Sunday I might head down and have a look.

That could well be the same one Rotor, it would have been about football-size but was not transparent like the smaller (but still pretty bloody big) crystal that's behind the bar now.

Ok, change of plans - young bloke is at a camp so we decided to call today our anniversary. I see whoever is going tomorrow, though I will be down there a bit late (probably 10 ).

I'll bring a stone I faceted from a Clarke's road crystal - the stuff really does facet very nicely, tends to get a couple of shades lighter when cut. If you found a really heavily purple saturated crystal it would cut an absolute pearler of a stone.

Good stuff mate. My young bloke and missus absolutely detest fossicking so I rely on my father to come with me. He's a committed lifelong fossicker but at 70 with an artificial hip, plates and the neck and spine and other health problems, all he can really do most of the time is sit there and watch. Put a few sieves through then sit back down again. At least it gets him out of the house.

Maybe with the rise of stem cell technology we can all still be fossicking at 90 :)