Solar Panels - Information and Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ded Driver said:
ctxkid said:
it went something like "looks like a birds nest" ;)

haha mine is a bit of a birds nest too at the moment. A couple more wires to hook up then I can harness everything properly.
many a 'bird brain idea' has been hatched from birds nests ;)
lol i spose :Y:

ctxkid said:
Redfin said:
ctxkid said:
and hey @12.23 , ya battery is flat :8

Its about 60% where I come from.
you go through a lot of batteries ??

In the CT, one replacement in 7 years.
Dual battery system in car, never [about 8 years].
AGM in boat, I stop using it at 12.05 on every trip [bloody trolling motor uses heaps] same battery for 2 years.

Connect an amp meter on the load and note the changes in amperage as voltage reaches those levels of discharge, a swift recharge is in order

After a lot of bloody work,
This thread has been resurrected, revised and edited.
Back online but,
Any one who wish's to detract and destroy it again, Your comments
are respected but will be deleted if deemed to be offensive.

Thank You.
Admin and
The Mod Squad.

madtuna said:
Many thanks for reviving this thread. Working out a solar set up for my ute at the moment so devouring all solar and battery threads I can

Found this article on ABC news the other day, interesting and makes sence.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-02/what-happens-to-solar-panels-in-the-heat/10743650

An interesting article. For most situations, it is best to allow an air gap of several inches behind the panels to allow air circulation and so improve the efficiency of the panels. Having them on a bit of an angle would likely improve that air circulation due to convection, but most motor home panels are mounted flat likely because it reduces the windage. If flat it also means that you don't have to worry about how you orient your vehicle towards the sun.

Rob P.

my version of keeping solar simple :cool:

still has to have a bank of 10 usb's to fit up , but here is testing

1551671670_wp_20190304_003.jpg

Not sure what outputs you have other than 12 Volts, but you can purchase ready made Multi USB charge ports, but they are 240v in, so may need a small inverter. I use these to support staff and volunteers on events that I support. I think that they have either 8 or 10 USB outlets.

Rob P.

PabloP said:
Not sure what outputs you have other than 12 Volts, but you can purchase ready made Multi USB charge ports, but they are 240v in, so may need a small inverter. I use these to support staff and volunteers on events that I support. I think that they have either 8 or 10 USB outlets.

Rob P.
it has muti outlets , all on ando's :Y:

i bought ages ago a powered usb 'strip' (for want of a better word) it is conveniently 12v powered :perfect:

and i need to make up some ciggy to ando leads for the ol'scool stuff that still has ciggy plugs and it is one :clap: :clap:

my new mppt controller has a lithium algorithm :sunny: which is all operator configurable :cool:

it is going in at home, for a ups style backup on a pair of 120amp agms feed by 2x250 watt panels :power:

1551828411_wp_20190306_001.jpg

Redfin said:

Handy information Redfin.
On a trivial matter, used to have a gauge inside the cab when kicking off with solar, you could see the needle flick as you drove past light poles.

My 2019 set up is all go, in full sun (not in garage as last photos showed) maintaining full battery with both fridges running and all the batteries on charge.
If we have a run of cloud covered days while free camping on the goldfields, usually run the Honda in the evening and give the batteries a tickle with the 40amp battery charger.
If the nights temps are dropping to 0C (quite regular in winter) the fridges get turned down to minimum.
Bring on Autumn cooler weather, there's gold out there tired of being buried. :playful:

Solar panel on top of a gas bottle storage container?

What would happen if one was leaking and you got some arcing from the panel connections?

Not a wise idea to put it there.

hey CTXkid, in the 1st pic you have a slim square white thingy with a hole in it on top of the battery & the battery cable running thru it.
Is this a type of Amp meter setup? or what is it? A sensor for the Victron power meter?

Ded Driver said:
hey CTXkid, in the 1st pic you have a slim square white thingy with a hole in it on top of the battery & the battery cable running thru it.
Is this a type of Amp meter setup? or what is it? A sensor for the Victron power meter?

"Flux Capacitor," he's going to go back in time. Oh that right, he's in Bathurst, already back in time.

Cheers

Doug

Latest posts