Motorhome Solar Power System Issue

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wire was for electric van brakes, a critical application. Any wonder products don't work as advertised

Bit off topic but about the same as everyone that runs the electric brake controller earth to chassis or body and not back to battery earth

The gauge of wiring that designers quote as fit for purpose is generally specified for example as 6mm (in this instance). This refers to the cross sectional area of the copper (which is roughly 2.76mm dia.)

The 6mm dia cable referred to above includes the insulation which can vary in thickness from one manufacturer to another and generally has less copper.

Checked the battery this morning....

At Dawn I had used 38AH overnight and the diesel heater was on all night and wasn't turned off until just after 9am.

At 9am I read 32AH down, so from dawn to 9am had put in 6A from panels plus about 1 AH per hour for the heater.

Got back at about 2pm battery was back at 100%.

Weather was dull overcast with the odd bit of sunshine.

The guy I bought these panels from told me to expect 75AH on an average semi overcast day and more on a sunny day.

Given my results today, he wasn't wrong :)

Latest posts