Snakes & Prospecting Safety

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OldGT said:
Seen plenty in my day, but I tend get out in the areas they like to hang out.

Making noise is a good detterent but in my own experience not particularly effective. Ive had one pass between me and a push mower (brown), grabbed another in a warren by accident while ferreting, and stood on the neck of another when fishing (black snakes).

Rest assured its pretty rare to die from a snakebite, much more likely to die in a car accident on the way there or back.

Some good advice from the other members though.

Heavy footfalls not sound seem to help....

Snakes tend to have poor eye site and a very short memory, though will react defensively from sudden movement/vibration. Keep still and give them some space and most will move off on their own accord. I have gone from not seeing a single snake for a full year to seeing two Tigers and one Copperhead in the one outing, though through work have had plenty of meetups with some large Mulga snakes and some Western Browns.

Swampy areas with high grass are usually the ones to avoid, a prime habitat for snakes around here.

I came accross a diamond python in narara on the central coast was most likely an escaped pet..
Was interested in my ex girlfriends shitsu.
We had rangers come collect it.
My ex's father dared me to pat it..
So i did and it did not react.
Was over 2 metres long

There is a myth that snakes are deaf.
Although snakes do not have visible ears, they feel vibrations very well and can hear low-frequency airborne sounds.
It has been proven your pet snake can hear you speak but probably not someone screaming (high pitched) in panic.
I suppose it is a way of collecting water wearing gum boots, sweat, tramping around WA bush. :lol:
Many Australian victims have been bitten while attempting to pick up or kill the snake, and a high number of victims are bitten on either their foot or ankle.
Would definitely never detect wearing thongs, yes high leg boots and full length trousers and any snake seen be left to slide away.

No one in Australia has ever died from the bite of a Black Snake..according to Australian medical records..

Baldy said:
No one in Australia has ever died from the bite of a Black Snake..according to Australian medical records..
Only a Chinese gardener in Wangaratta in 1887 and possibly someone in Townsville in 2015 - but not many snakes were identified prior to 1918. Nevertheless, no other blacks known since then (except perhaps the 2015). Amazing how many were tiger snakes and browns, and less were taipans than I expected. I wonder how accurate some identifications were....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_snake_bites_in_Australia

Apparently blacks are one of the most common bites, but are less toxic.

Uni of Melbourne School of biochemical sciences says about black snakes "No deaths have been confirmed in adults, although children have died after bites by this snake".

Hard Luck said:
Just crash through the scrub like I do.
Usually scares them away.
The only time they unnerve me is when they are on a track getting a bit of sun as you are going down to the creek.

Spiders shite me more.
Spiders are less likely to be fatal.....

We have an agreement in our home or caravan, the only living creatures we knock off are mosquitoes and flies. (Haven't got time for anything else. :playful: )
We just relocate all other critters or wait till they remove themselves.

We come across a number of these harmless critters, today a lady who had her pet with her at Bunnings allowed me to have a photo taken with me holding on to his lead.

1598445941_bearded_dragon_002.jpg

I have concerns about the Australian Medical records for fatal snake bites because i know of two fatal ones that happened near me over the last 15 years , both were in the newspaper at the time but when i checked the records they are not listed.

are medical authorities doing their bit for tourism ?

PS , those two unpublished cases were an elderly woman from the Blue Mountains bitten by a brown snake while gardening and a teenager bitten by a death adder while on holiday near Wisemans ferry or Maraylya .

goldierocks said:
Baldy said:
Only a Chinese gardener in Wangaratta in 1887 and possibly someone in Townsville in 2015 - but not many snakes were identified prior to 1918. Nevertheless, no other blacks known since then (except perhaps the 2015). Amazing how many were tiger snakes and browns, and less were taipans than I expected. I wonder how accurate some identifications were....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_snake_bites_in_Australia

Apparently blacks are one of the most common bites, but are less toxic.

Uni of Melbourne School of biochemical sciences says about black snakes "No deaths have been confirmed in adults, although children have died after bites by this snake".

Yes children have died from black snake bites such as the 1932 case when a doctor removed the ligature stating "nobody has died from a black snake bite" the child died shortly afterward prompting the medical authority to remove "black snake bite" from the records and state it as snake breed unknown , because it would have been medical negligence otherwise.

:eek:

Some good info here Iceman8888.
GG Wildlife Rescue IncLike Page
November 9, 2019
#SnakeBite great info you should read ....
That bite of summer has well and truly come early this year and with that heat, comes snakes.

3000 bites are reported annually.
300-500 hospitalisations
2-3 deaths annually.

Average time to death is 12 hours. The urban myth that you are bitten in the yard and die before you can walk from your chook pen back to the house is a load of rubbish.

While not new, the management of snake bite (like a flood/fire evacuation plan or CPR) should be refreshed each season.

Lets start with a
Basic overview.

There are the main five genus of snakes that will harm us (seriously)
Browns, Blacks, Adders, Tigers and Taipans.

All snake venom is made up of huge proteins (like egg white). When bitten, a snake injects some venom into the meat of your limb (NOT into your blood).

This venom can not be absorbed into the blood stream from the bite site.
In some cases the snake can bite straight into the blood stream.

It travels in a fluid transport system in your body called the lymphatic system (not the blood stream).

Now this fluid (lymph) is moved differently to blood.
Your heart pumps blood around, so even when you are lying dead still, your blood still circulates around the body. Lymph fluid is different. It moves around with physical muscle movement like bending your arm, bending knees, wriggling fingers and toes, walking/exercise etc.

Now here is the thing. Lymph fluid becomes blood after these lymph vessels converge to form one of two large vessels (lymphatic trunks)which are connected to veins at the base of the neck.

Back to the snake bite site.
When bitten, the venom has been injected into this lymph fluid (which makes up the bulk of the water in your tissues).

The only way that the venom can get into your blood stream is to be moved from the bite site in the lymphatic vessels. The only way to do this is to physically move the limbs that were bitten.

Stay still!!! Venom cant move too fast if the victim doesnt move.
Stay still!!

Remember people are not bitten into their blood stream. Only in very rare cases.

In the 1980s a technique called Pressure immobilisation bandaging was developed to further retard venom movement. It completely stops venom /lymph transport toward the blood stream.

A firm roll bandage is applied directly over the bite site (dont wash the area).

Technique:
Three steps: keep them still
Step 1
Apply a bandage over the bite site, to an area about 10cm above and below the bite.
Step 2:
Then using another elastic roller bandage, apply a firm wrap from Fingers/toes all the way to the armpit/groin.

The bandage needs to be firm, but not so tight that it causes fingers or toes to turn purple or white. About the tension of a sprain bandage.

Step 3:
Splint the limb so the patient cant walk or bend the limb.

Do nots:
Do not cut, incise or suck the venom.
Do not EVER use a tourniquet
Dont remove the shirt or pants - just bandage over the top of clothing.
Remember movement (like wriggling out of a shirt or pants) causes venom movement.

DO NOT try to catch, kill or identify the snake!!! This is important.

In hospital we NO LONGER NEED to know the type of snake; it doesnt change treatment.

5 years ago we would do a test on the bite, blood or urine to identify the snake so the correct anti venom can be used.
BUT NOW...
we dont do this. A common Antivenom neutralises the venoms of all the 5 listed snake genus, so it doesnt matter what snake bit the patient.

Unless in Tasmania For example tiger snake antivenom is the only antivenom required in Tasmania as both Notechis and Austrelaps envenomations are neutralized by tiger snake av.

You can be allergic to the venom .
The preferred antivenom is usually a monovalent for three reasons, the dosage is smaller, the chance of allergic reaction is lower and finally the cost is lower. Also antivenom is not a "one shot wonder" - in many cases multiple vials are used during treatment along with supporting drugs

Australian snakes tend to have 3 main effects in differing degrees.

Bleeding - internally and bruising.
Muscles paralysed causing difficulty talking, moving & breathing.
Pain
In some snakes severe muscle pain in the limb, and days later the bite site can break down forming a nasty wound.

Allergy to snakes is rarer than winning lotto twice.

Final tips: not all bitten people are envenomated and only those starting to show symptoms above are given antivenom.

Did I mention to stay still.
~Rob Timmings (Amos) & some other herpers who have updated this amazing information , thanks to you all ????
NOTE - snake biting hand is not Australian species and is just for attention..thanks

Why is it whenever our dangerous snakes are mentioned no one ever lists the copperhead, they are a fairly docile snake and don't bite often but they are far more deadly than blacks.
Jim

Interesting thread with good info.
Are snakes prone to be abundant in certain areas or is it just pot luck?

Recently been made redundant from work so I've been planning to try my hand at fossicking in the Oberon area with my kids. But this thread has just added a layer of caution which I didn't think of. Is oberon area full of snakes?

Theres a few about. No worse than most other places.

Native Dog Creek had a bad rep for tigers for a while, havent heard much lately.

I havent seen anywhere as many, hardly any at all in the last few years.

Used to see lots round the snowy mountains fishing. I reckon the reduction in rabbit numbers due the calici virus has dropped the numbers a lot. Less little bunnies which are easy prey and they then start eating each other.

I think the drout had a big say in the snake population, no water no frogs most snakes live along waterways , oberon or any area that has tussock grass next to a creek be extra carefull tigers love to hide in these, when I walk the creeks I take a long handle shovel and bang the ground in front of me , don,t step or place a foot directly beside tussock , get some snake gaiters and tell the kids to follow you in a straight line BEHIND you , If you see a stick that looks a bit shiny it may well be a snake suning itself or having a sleep , always be aware.

Latest posts