Snakes & Prospecting Safety

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not the snakes you have to worry about, it's the drop bears. Once they get a sniff of pommy blood they're relentless! Just get a PLB and if you get bitten by a snake you can stay still and wait for the helicopter to come get you. Won't help in the case of a drop bear attack but they will know where to find the pile of bones ;)

Buy a pair of snake gaitors. Or,, failing that newspaper and duct tape around your lower legs. Watch where you are walking and dont step over logs without looking on the other side first. Luckily most Australian snakes have fairly short fangs compared to other continents so gumboots or heavy wetsuit leggings over or under good trousers. will help. Snakes rarely strike without some sort of prior warning, whether it be hissing or posturing agressively. Carry a compession bandage and know how to use it. I would rate the brown as the most dangerous snake in Vic and not just because of their venom. They are a really skitish snake that is really quick to take offence when cornered. Tigers can be agressive around mating time. Blacks and copperheads are pretty docile. Just be aware of where you are about to step and make plenty of noise when walking through the bush and you will rarely see them. ;)

your questions and concerns are not silly.

i carry a phone , compression bandage and an EPIRB locating beacon.

As you say , walking back to your car spreads the venom and you could die within 45 minutes to 2 hours compared to 5 - 7 hours if you use a compression bandage and sit down while deliberately slowing down your metabolism.

If you can summon help with phone or EPRIB / PLB then its smartest to sit down and wait for help to arrive and carry you out , you slow down your metabolism by closing your eyes and listening to your breath passing in and out of your lungs , thats a survival technique taught by yogis and some specialty armed services to assist with survival from gunshot wounds while being transported to medical help , it does relax your whole body and slows your blood and lymphatic circulation , i have used it to slow my heart rate down to 16 beats per minute and breathe rate to 4.5 breaths per minute under a medically supervised environment , but i practiced yoga for years , i do not recommend you try to emulate that !

The compression bandages to use are Setopress or Sports Wrap by a company called HyHealth.

I have seen snakes in rivers many times , they love to eat tadpoles , frogs , shrimp etc so its a valid concern.

When considering snake bite protection keep in mind that snakes see infrared , that is they can see the uncovered flesh and are likely to strike above boots if they can reach it , many snakes will decide to bite you but manouvre behind you to strike from your blind side on the back of your legs.

I didnt see trousers made from gortex yet but i am sure they will be produced one day to a snake proof standard.

If all the above freaks you out a bit consider that most strikes occur when people are trying to kill a snake , some people think snakes are so sensitive they can feel fear or aggression and will strike if they feel threatened or cornered so if you see one , back away slowly while reciting comedy routines ( kidding )

Gumboots are better than nothing but many species of snake can bite through them AND leather , there are many snakeproof boots available from the USA but when i researched it years ago Aussie boot manufacturers told me "there is no market in australia for snake proof boots" because they apparently think we dont have snakes here and they want to corner the market on being Fwits.

Most snakes will buggger off when they feel you approaching except for death adders which will sit still and ping you as you pass , they have the fastest strike of any snake in the world , Tigers and Taipans are aggressive and have been known to chase after humans for 20 - 30 metres when they are hungry or in breeding season much like humans who can also be agro until they have had some jiggy jig , for that reason i carry a blow up snake from the adult snake shop which i throw at the snake to distract it from biting me (not).

Gumboots should be ok.

Met some guys spraying weeds at the bottom of a creek while detecting once. I said to them do they see snakes often. He goes yeah, got bitten by one an hour ago. Turns out it was a red belly black snake that came up from behind and struck him on the lower part of the gumboot a few times. (The fangs didn't penetrate the boot)

You said it mate - you've been prospecting for 3 years and haven't seen a snake yet. They're not seen very often.
I've never seen one when prospecting/panning in Vic either. And I've been camping in the bush for 40+ years (pre-prospecting days) and have seen a grand total of two snakes in that time. One was swimming in the river - just passing by - and another one was dead.

That's not to say you'll never see one - they are out there - but generally, if they hear you coming, they move away.
Good advice from Jethro to watch where you're stepping, especially climbing/stepping over fallen logs - avoid it if you can and walk around them.
If you're out there alone and worried about phone reception, take an EPIRB. You might never need it, but that one time you do is definitely worth the investment.
Snake gaitors and gumboots can't hurt either. Why not just wear them if you're concerned about snakes? Most snake bites happen below the knee, or on the hand of people climbing up banks. Keep that in mind too - watch where you're putting your hands.

And having said all that, I've heard of a few reports from prospectors of tiger snake sightings around Anderson Creek, Warrandyte, over the past few years, so be particularly careful around that area, if you go there.

Take your snake bite kit (and know how to use it properly); have some form of communication for an emergency; and you'll be right mate! Don't stress about it - just be "snake smart".

Cheers,
Megsy

PS. I believe a lot of the Drop Bears were killed in the fires, but keep an eye out for them anyway - they're sneaky devils! :playful:

Thought it wise to post a piccy of a drop bear so they know what to lookout for!
1598166188_bbd84fa7-1347-4096-938f-f11f17ed8a12.jpg

jethro said:
Buy a pair of snake gaitors. Or,, failing that newspaper and duct tape around your lower legs. Watch where you are walking and dont step over logs without looking on the other side first. Luckily most Australian snakes have fairly short fangs compared to other continents so gumboots or heavy wetsuit leggings over or under good trousers. will help. Snakes rarely strike without some sort of prior warning, whether it be hissing or posturing agressively. Carry a compession bandage and know how to use it. I would rate the brown as the most dangerous snake in Vic and not just because of their venom. They are a really skitish snake that is really quick to take offence when cornered. Tigers can be agressive around mating time. Blacks and copperheads are pretty docile. Just be aware of where you are about to step and make plenty of noise when walking through the bush and you will rarely see them. ;)

Good advice Jethro.
Watch your step be aware of your surroundings and make plenty of noise.
Most snakes will try and avoid confrontation and will attempt to slither away unseen.
As a young bloke myself and a couple of mates used to hunt them and skin them In the alpine area in Victoria especially around the creeks and rivers and nearly got bitten on the odd occasion.
Yes the brown is the one to be very aware of as are the tigers.
Dont do anything stupid like try and catch and skin them.
They dont like it

Been chased by Tiger snakes on the Finniss River when I lived in SA. Not a pleasant experience.

In the same location also saw a huge Brown, but he was on one side of the weir & I retreated back to my side.

My only other sighting was a red bellied snake up at Omeo, but he heard me coming & scampered.

Awesome posts.. love the talk of the drop bears made me laugh.. i live in western sydney and during summer over the last few years have come accross maybe 6 red belly black snakes... out saint marys near mount druitt.. 3 there... 1 @ kurnell and 2 at coxs river oh and 2 and lansvale at thenold abondoned fun park i was exploring... so 8... only had to kill 1..

CreviceSucker said:
your questions and concerns are not silly.

i carry a phone , compression bandage and an EPIRB locating beacon.

As you say , walking back to your car spreads the venom and you could die within 45 minutes to 2 hours compared to 5 - 7 hours if you use a compression bandage and sit down while deliberately slowing down your metabolism.

If you can summon help with phone or EPRIB / PLB then its smartest to sit down and wait for help to arrive and carry you out , you slow down your metabolism by closing your eyes and listening to your breath passing in and out of your lungs , thats a survival technique taught by yogis and some specialty armed services to assist with survival from gunshot wounds while being transported to medical help , it does relax your whole body and slows your blood and lymphatic circulation , i have used it to slow my heart rate down to 16 beats per minute and breathe rate to 4.5 breaths per minute under a medically supervised environment , but i practiced yoga for years , i do not recommend you try to emulate that !

The compression bandages to use are Setopress or Sports Wrap by a company called HyHealth.

I have seen snakes in rivers many times , they love to eat tadpoles , frogs , shrimp etc so its a valid concern.

When considering snake bite protection keep in mind that snakes see infrared , that is they can see the uncovered flesh and are likely to strike above boots if they can reach it , many snakes will decide to bite you but manouvre behind you to strike from your blind side on the back of your legs.

I didnt see trousers made from gortex yet but i am sure they will be produced one day to a snake proof standard.

If all the above freaks you out a bit consider that most strikes occur when people are trying to kill a snake , some people think snakes are so sensitive they can feel fear or aggression and will strike if they feel threatened or cornered so if you see one , back away slowly while reciting comedy routines ( kidding )

Gumboots are better than nothing but many species of snake can bite through them AND leather , there are many snakeproof boots available from the USA but when i researched it years ago Aussie boot manufacturers told me "there is no market in australia for snake proof boots" because they apparently think we dont have snakes here and they want to corner the market on being Fwits.

Most snakes will buggger off when they feel you approaching except for death adders which will sit still and ping you as you pass , they have the fastest strike of any snake in the world , Tigers and Taipans are aggressive and have been known to chase after humans for 20 - 30 metres when they are hungry or in breeding season much like humans who can also be agro until they have had some jiggy jig , for that reason i carry a blow up snake from the adult snake shop which i throw at the snake to distract it from biting me (not).
Working completely alone is never ideal, but if you do I suggest both a mobile phone and Personal Emergency Beacon. Sturdy boots, gaiters (at least long trousers), two stretch snake-bite bandages designed for the purpose (markings show correct tension) and know how to use them. But nothing beats prospecting with a mate, as even a broken leg can end up fatal if you cannot get help (I have known prospectors stuck alone in the open for days with bad sprains). And in Australia water is important.

Snakes sense vibration, so don't tip-toe (they will usually get out of your way if they detect you coming their way, but they don't like surprises). As for people saying they rarely see them, that is because the snakes saw them first. I see them on most trips, have had two people bitten in my company (over many decades) and have seen in excess of 40 snakes on one day. Also be aware that they are not always at ground level - I have seen dangerouse snakes curled up on fern fronds a metre or so above the ground.

Be equipped, be noisy, keep your eyes open, and you will rarely see one and are very unlikely to be bitten. Roller bandages applied correctly greatly slow venom circulation in your body (it starts in the lymphatic system not the bloodstream). Don't wash it and definitely dont try to catch or kill the snake - they can tell the type of snake from remnant venom on the roller bandage and don't need its details nowadays (and I think they have multiple-snake anti-venines for some). If possible avoid exertion if bitten - so carry your beacon, send a signal (from a clearing), and then sit still in plain view if the alternative is a strenuous battle through scrub back to your vehicle (but obviously a vehicle is a good place to be if it is nearby). The lack of exertion is important - I am guessing, but I imagine that is why so many farmers in the days of no treatment used to survive by going to bed for a few days after a tiger-snake bite. The odds are in your favour, only a couple of people per year die of snakebite in Australia (compared with 350 in South Africa and 30,000 in India). But of course most people are not traipsing through the bush listening to their earphones and watching the ground immediately in front of them............. :awful:

Loads of wiggly sticks out bush but the best thing you can do is make noise when you walk dont try to pick them up or kill them. When you step over a log watch where you walk. Snakes tend to hang around logs and you stepping over the log tends to get a reaction from the snake.
Cheers hh

Nightjar said:
Goldierocks, 40 sightings in one day? Grew up on a farm, and later took up prospecting, probably 40 sightings in 70+ years. Yes, your coil scraping the ground sends them on their way before you get near. And it is a fact more people get bitten trying to kill snakes.
Yes, only so many on one occassion, of all sizes, in a day while circumnavigating the shore of a large lake - started counting because I was amazed by the number (and I was getting a bit twitchy) - certainly well over 30 anyway. I rarely see more than two or three at a time and only on some days - tigers along the creeks in western Victoria (and places like Tiger Snake Creek and Little Tiger Snake Creek in Combienbar), the Coorong in SA. The last was a pair of copper-heads in the Strathbogies. In Africa I used to average nearly one per day in some areas, mostly nasty adders (Berg Adders, Poffaders) - cytotoxic - but about one a week of mambas and cobras. One person with me who was bitten in the Victorian Grampians did not realise until the next day, when he woke up crook with an ankle like a football and puncture marks. In Africa we carried universal anti-venine in our field bags, as a mamba gives you 10 minutes of consciousness, 40 minutes of life otherwise - one guy was bitten by one but survived OK with anti-venine. One has to keep a sense of proportion - the 300 snake bite deaths per year in South Africa is about the same number who die of bee stings, and only three times the number who die from lightning strike there. As in real estate - location, location. Stream sampling as a geologist is hazardous because you do not get to choose where to take it (gully junctions etc, essential) nor choose the thickness of the scrub - similar with soil sampling (close and exact grid positions). I used to do it for years at a time, on lone trips of a minimum of two weeks. Few jobs require you to be walking in bush constantly, day after day, week after week. I actually never saw a snake on our farm - as I say, location, location.

Correction - I remember one that uncle Bunny took out with a shotgun in the house paddock vegie patch. Have had friends find cobras in the kids toy box, and another in the kitchen...don't know why they hang out in particular areas.

Seen plenty in my day, but I tend get out in the areas they like to hang out.

Making noise is a good detterent but in my own experience not particularly effective. Ive had one pass between me and a push mower (brown), grabbed another in a warren by accident while ferreting, and stood on the neck of another when fishing (black snakes).

Rest assured its pretty rare to die from a snakebite, much more likely to die in a car accident on the way there or back.

Some good advice from the other members though.

had a Brahman bull get a cranky at me once above Meekatharra.
Not a tree in sight to climb high enough.
Stomping the ground like he was ready to do a quarter mile..
But after I turned off the detector, he wasn't interested or aggressive anyone.
Turned and walked off.

We have just moved to the g.t. from gippsland. 18 months ago i had 7 around the house, a mix of tigers and copperheads. I have never seen one while detecting and i work with my eyes open believe me. I have a theory on this, i believe the pulses that our detectors put into the ground chase them away. Snakes don't hear as they have no ears but are very sensitive to vibrations. Apart from maybe the deaf adder i don't believe any aussie snake would be able to penetrate gum boots ( but who wants to wear them). Watch where you put your hands and feet and you will be pretty safe. As per a previous post i used to hunt deer in the yarra valley years ago in an area with lots of man ferns, the tigers loved to sun themselves on top of them. If you want a quick cure for constipation try looking an angry tiger in the eyes, but none of us ever got bit, thankfully.
Jim :argh:

Latest posts