Snake Gaiters

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could I make my own out of some pvc pipe sewn into some fabric? Obviously not quite as simple as that but you get me. I bet a few jaws just hit the floor..."why would you skimp when it comes to snake protection?". Well, it's better than nothing and I certainly cant afford the real deal anytime soon...not even $50. Just an idea. I dunno...

I just bought a leather pair on Ebay. Quick delivery (about 4 days). Very good quality and a very good price. 45 bucks plus postage ($7.20)

1477122696_s-l500.jpg

The buckles and clips at the bottom may make you think you have struck "THE" patch perhaps They are metal from looking ?

Kiwi digging said:
Can anyone help me,i want to buy a pair of snake leggings had close encounter,local not oversea takes to long.

What was the close encounter?

Everytime I have seen a snake they head in the opposite direction when they see or hear me coming.

Make noise as you walk banging pick on trees and rocks, let them know your coming.

Once Ive got the headphones on and the coil on the ground I could be surrounded by snakes!

I guess if I had a serious close encounter I would get some gaiters.

RS

DigginForGold said:
Could I make my own out of some pvc pipe sewn into some fabric? Obviously not quite as simple as that but you get me. I bet a few jaws just hit the floor..."why would you skimp when it comes to snake protection?". Well, it's better than nothing and I certainly cant afford the real deal anytime soon...not even $50. Just an idea. I dunno...
Foot socks over a newspaper around your legs will work , used that when shearing sheep full of burrs.
Loose Denim jeans will stop 90% snake bites they only have tiny fangs.
Nothing better than standing on one then looking down to see what is tapping on ya gum boots :eek: gets ya dancing a highland jig.

Just Jeans will do fine ?

Unlike their cousins overseas, our venomous snakes have

poor eye-sight, are short-fanged and lack heat-sensors. If you're walking in long-grass it's wise to wear jeans because in the unlikely event a snake does strike, the fangs can't penetrate the material. Australian snake fangs are so short, the bites appear as little more than a scratch.

Location in Australia and remoteness of that location probably determines how serious you need to be about protection re snakes. Prevention probably being better than the cure :rolleyes:
Personally I hate them ...................... my wife will grab their tail and literally throw them away :rolleyes:

aussiefarmer said:
DigginForGold said:
Foot socks over a newspaper around your legs will work , used that when shearing sheep full of burrs.
Loose Denim jeans will stop 90% snake bites they only have tiny fangs.
Nothing better than standing on one then looking down to see what is tapping on ya gum boots :eek: gets ya dancing a highland jig.
Why not just buy soome gators . Might save u life

Well lads,
Gators didnt help me on Friday,
I got bitten on the hand by one of the slippery suckers while moving some old timber and rubbish from the side of a shed I was working on.
There had been a lot of noise going on as it was a building site but it must of still been in hibernation.
I only realized I had been bitten when about 4 hours later after I pulled a splinter out of my hand which turned out to be a fang, then I noticed the other puncture mark.
It sure explained why I started feeling crook and had developed massive pain in my muscles and joints.
After climbing up and down ladders and lifting sheeting iron in that 4 hours its amazing that I lasted that long.
Cheers to the staff at the Ballarat hospital for their grat care.
Cheers Steve
ps: im all good now and yes , the leather gloves wkll be back on when removing rubbish next time

Good to hear your ok ................. and be easy to identify the culprit at least? Just look for a snake with one tooth missing :D . There are so many around my place that you move nothing without checking under it first. Even when you go to grab something from a storage bin in the shed you have a look inside to make sure you don't get a surprise. Picked up a tarp that was laying on the concrete outside shed and surprise surprise there were two under it :rolleyes:
Have a couple of these fellas in the yard which help to keep them away but have to keep them away from my pup but :/

1477774307_goanna_yard.jpg

You're very lucky stoyve. Good to see your ok, and do you know what type of snake that bit ya mate?

SC75 said:
You're very lucky stoyve. Good to see your ok, and do you know what type of snake that bit ya mate?

No mate,
I didn't see it, l just felt what I thought was a splinter go into my hand.
So l guess I better check my splinters straight away next time.
I sure hope the snake doesn't get bullied by his mates for only having one fang and looking like a bogan though. ;)

Latest posts